Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite ever football photograph?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
maybe not the best, but surely one of the most iconic

Carlo Parola

Rovesciata_Carlo_Parola.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm amazed that no-one's come up with this one (but I haven't ploughed through every page)

2DEEB34B-FC05-4DA6-A82A-B7574E993D25.jpeg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Love these, back when football was football.

Little did we know Sky were just around the corner to reinvent the wheel.

View attachment 142950

Do you know what game that is? I’d hazard a guess that it’s West Brom v Birmingham at the Hawthorns in the 50s (Mitchells and Butlers on the roof, for example) and I think the guy tackling could be Jeff Hall who played for England but died in his 20s from polio. But I might be wrong …. my late Dad was a Blues fan and my Gran was a Baggies fan so this is a game I grew up knowing something about!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

Do you know what game that is? I’d hazard a guess that it’s West Brom v Birmingham at the Hawthorns in the 50s (Mitchells and Butlers on the roof, for example) and I think the guy tackling could be Jeff Hall who played for England but died in his 20s from polio. But I might be wrong …. my late Dad was a Blues fan and my Gran was a Baggies fan so this is a game I grew up knowing something about!

Found it:

West Bromwich Albion's Ray Barlow and Birmingham City's Jeff Hall battle for the ball on a snowy Hawthorns surface
18 February 1956
FA Cup - 5th Round - West Bromwich Albion 0v1 Birmingham City - The Hawthorns, 57,213

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

The consequences of Jeff Hall's death from polio resonate with today's situation with the Covid vaccination programme...

From wikipedia...

"It was the death of Hall – a young, fit, international footballer – from polio which helped to kick-start widespread public acceptance in Britain of the need for vaccination. Though the disease was generally feared and the Salk vaccine was available, takeup had been slow. In the weeks following Hall's death, and after his widow, Dawn, spoke on television about her loss, demand for immunisation rocketed. Emergency vaccination clinics had to be set up and supplies of the vaccine flown in from the United States to cope with demand".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This one never fails to crack me up:

DYgS2boXkAAZ8Oq.jpg

Attachments

• DYgS2boXkAAZ8Oq.jpg
    DYgS2boXkAAZ8Oq.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DYgS2boXkAAZ8Oq.jpg
    DYgS2boXkAAZ8Oq.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 157

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is an old thread so I may well have posted this one before.

Always enjoy a goal celebration dripping with humility ???

2_Footballer-Robin-Friday.jpg

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
View attachment 114473

My late Daughter and me. We had some great photos of us on the pitch where I seemed to have some grass in my eye but facebook deleted them.

This one moved me to tears after I had blithely chuckled my way through the thread. My daughter and I have been going to games together for the last 20 years. How lucky I have been. Thank you for feeling able to share such a deeply personal and treasured memory.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My profile pic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here