[Albion] What’s your favourite ever Brighton defeat

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Hated every defeat.

Nothing to like in them.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I 'enjoyed' the misery of the 1975 0-1 defeat to Leatherhead and Chris Kelly 'The Lip', the 1973 0-4 v Walton & Hersham as a young teen at the time.

Then there was a 1985 2-1 loss at Portsmouth one Christmas, where we got set upon at Fratton Park at HT and afterwards.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
This for sure , after all the battles and friends lost along the way everybody knew that the next game we would play would be in our new home .

[yt]6JKos6ZSkjo[/yt]

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Technically not a loss (but was on aggregate): Sheffield Wednesday play-off 2nd leg. Will never, ever forget that day. Pride and sadness, rolled into one.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I 'enjoyed' the misery of the 1975 0-1 defeat to Leatherhead and Chris Kelly 'The Lip', the 1973 0-4 v Walton & Hersham as a young teen at the time.

Then there was a 1985 2-1 loss at Portsmouth one Christmas, where we got set upon at Fratton Park at HT and afterwards.
I was at all of those and enjoyed none of them! Walton & Hersham was mid week in the afternoon due to power cuts preventing use of floodlights. Pompey was a bloodbath - nutters.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
7th March 2009 Orient 2 Brighton 1

It's my favourite not because of the game, that was awful. Russell Slade's first match in charge, a squad full of loanees with El-Abd and Fraser as the only players that I recognised. McGleish scored (of course) and boy did he let us know it. We looked dead and buried with relegation a certainty. It's my favourite because of what happened afterwards.

I'd been drinking all day around London Bridge with a group of mates, such was our determination to get plastered that the first drink of the day was hot spicy cider from Borough Market. It was the only alcoholic drink we could find at that time of the morning. I'd also taken a few pills, God knows why. It was a terrible idea and never done it before or since at a football match. At 6ish I found myself in the Gun Inn by Liverpool Street station, I was coming down big time and also starting to sober up. I wasn't in a good mood.

The pub had a big screen up and a few TVs dotted around and were showing a cup game between Fulham and Man U. Man U were winning and this made my mood even blacker. I heard a voice behind me "Oy mate. Move out the way". I didn't realise that they were talking to me so remained where I was. A few seconds later.."Oy. You with the Brighton top wrapped round your waist. Move out the way". I turned round and three lads were sat on a sofa glaring at me. "Who's your team?" I asked. "Man United" came the reply. The red mist descended.

"You know they're playing at Fulham, don't you?"
"Yeah. Why?"
"Because Fulham's in London and so are we."

Still glares from them and I lost it completely. "If it bothers you that much that you want to watch your team then buy a f*cking ticket and go and f*cking watch them for real. I've just seen my team lose to f*cking Orient and I hardly recognised anyone playing for us. To make matters worse, we had McGleish gloating at us and it looks like we'll be f*cking relegated so excuse me if I don't f*cking move for a load of plastic premiership fans who can't be f*cking bothered to watch their team when they are playing a few miles away."

I then turned my back on them thinking that my drink-induced gobbiness and hatred of Man U had really got me into trouble this time. A minute later, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I feared the worst. I looked around and a bloke with a shot glass was grinning at me. "We're West Ham fans mate and that was the funniest rant we've ever seen. This is on us."

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A word of advice - the hot spicy cider is best avoided, we all ended up with hollow cheeks and puckered lips. We christened it 'Dot Cotton face'.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The 2-3 defeat by Wolves in the FA Cup was one of the best games I've ever seen. And of course it featured THAT goal by Lawro.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I was at all of those and enjoyed none of them! Walton & Hersham was mid week in the afternoon due to power cuts preventing use of floodlights. Pompey was a bloodbath - nutters.

Yes, I recall not being at school for the Walton midweek daylight game and safety reasons with the power cuts, still got to the Albion game though :) . The Pompey game, they cam round in packs of thugs, looking for Albion fans and the walk back to the train station was horrendous as we were stalked all the way.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Palace away when they had four penalties and we had one. And they still only won 2-1.

Right up there especially as they should have mullered us with all those pens but it ended up as being comical as a succession of penalty takers missed. Some shocking referring that game it was unbelievable. It has to be some form of record either for the most penalties in one game or the most missed

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I seem to remember really enjoying losing at home to Wigan around middleish 2000s, can't remember the year apart from it being my birthday and being about 13 at the time.

Being 4-0 down in ridiculous time, but they had Nathan Ellington, Jason Roberts, Jimmy Bullard and Graham Kavanagh absolutely running things and remember it just being so good to watch.

Ended up scoring twice to make it 4-2, so a slightly more respectable score line too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here