Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite children's book?

Olga da Polga
Kensuke's Kingdom
Teddy Bear's Trousers

Olga da Polga has always been in the shadow of her creators' more famous character, but I did like reading them to youngest Potting who is also into Paddington. Personally any of the Thomas the Tank engine books, from the more modern perspective, "We're going on a bear hunt", "The Gruffalo" and "Hippo's go berserk" are great fun.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was babysitting on Friday and discovered 'Tiddler - The Storytelling Fish' by Julia Donaldson. Immense story!
Tiddler? Tiddler! TIDDLER'S LATE!! Yep, my 2 year old loves that.

Julia Donaldson is a genius. Monkey Puzzle, Room on the Broom, Squash and a Squeeze, there are loads - but none really beats The Gruffalo.

I'll also recommend Giraffes Can't Dance. It comes with a fantastic message.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tiddler? Tiddler! TIDDLER'S LATE!! Yep, my 2 year old loves that.

Julia Donaldson is a genius. Monkey Puzzle, Room on the Broom, Squash and a Squeeze, there are loads - but none really beats The Gruffalo.

I'll also recommend Giraffes Can't Dance. It comes with a fantastic message.

The Snail & the Whale is really good.

and Yeah dancing Gerald's pretty cool.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another vote for The Gruffalo here. I'm also a big fan of the Mr Men books, Cat in the Hat and Richard Scarry books.

When I was a child myself, it was all about Tootles the Taxi (and friends).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yeah all her books are good. I'm a big fan of Tabby McTat too.

Has anyone mentioned The Tiger Who Came to Tea yet?

Yes. I love The Tiger That Came To Tea.

Is it agreed that the man on the left of the page as the family walk in the street (while all the street lamps were lit) is pulling up his flies after having a wee?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Tove Jansson's Moomin books and comic strips are up there with my favourite books ever - if I had to choose one it would be 'Moominland Midwinter'.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Some great ones already listed, but from my list:

Mr Men books, in particular Mr Snow, Mr Jelly and Mr Clumsy. All read in my finest Arthur Lowe voice.

Jonny Duddle books - The Pirates next door and The Pirate Cruncher -Great rhyming tales that keep them till the end.

From my own childhood, The Adventure series by Willard Price. Some 25 years after reading one of them (Lion Adventure?) it inspired me enough to climb Kilimanjaro. And it would be amazing if it inspired my boys to collect wild animals for my own safari park in years to come..

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Oh, and was given 'The boy who wore a dress' to start reading tonight..

FFS, one chapter, and that is NOT coming out again for quite few years.. :angry:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Walter the Farting Dog. Based on a real dog called Walter whose owner fed him on beer and doughnuts which gave him a serious flatulence problem.

I think there are 6 books in the series including 'Banned from the Beach'. The graphics are pretty good too.

Why didn't we have books like that when we were kids?

Some great ones already listed, but from my list:

Mr Men books, in particular Mr Snow, Mr Jelly and Mr Clumsy. All read in my finest Arthur Lowe voice.

Jonny Duddle books - The Pirates next door and The Pirate Cruncher -Great rhyming tales that keep them till the end.

From my own childhood, The Adventure series by Willard Price. Some 25 years after reading one of them (Lion Adventure?) it inspired me enough to climb Kilimanjaro. And it would be amazing if it inspired my boys to collect wild animals for my own safari park in years to come..

Willard Price eh, that brings it back. Read all the books and was also into Malcolm Saville "Lone Pine" adventure books, some of which featured Rye.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also, if we're counting 'The Once and Future King' by T H White then that is my all-time favourite book.

Also need a good mention for 'The Happy Prince and Other Tales' by Wilde.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
411FOHp98LL._SL500_.jpg

Because EVERYTHING goes slowly in the rain...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here