Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your best memory of the Goldstone?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Mine is an overhead kick by Alan Duffy that rattled the crossbar in front of the South Stand around 1973.:laugh:

So many to choose from, my all time favourite was the look on Joe Corrigans face as he picked the ball out of the net in front of the North Stand during our 83 cup run winning 4-0.

On a more personal note it simply has to be my first game at the Goldstone, opening day against Wolves 1980, winning 2-0 I believe. We had just moved down here from Jocko land 2 months previously and went with my dad, sadly no longer with us. So my football rollercoaster ride is all down to him.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
First game in 1970 v Reading, as a 9 year old - over 30,000 in ground to see us beat them. So crowded was pulled out of the dangerously packed SW terrace and taken over to the south stand.

As a teenager seeing Millwall 'treatment' in North Stand in mid 70's - surgical masks, broken glass, general mayhem.

Dean Wilkins wonder goal in the Play Off year - 1991

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
78-79 season when we got promoted. it was eve game and I think it may have been Shef utd? I was only a nipper and we stood on the side of the pitch waiting for final wistle, the police could not keep us in the North Stand anylonger. :)

Noldi

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Fans United day on Sat 8th February 1997.

Won 5-0 against Hartlepool. Ian Baird and Craig Maskell were awesome.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
So many.....however the moment that cemented my love of the Albion for ever, was when leaning agaist the north stand wall behind the goal as an 8year old right in front of Bobby Smiths increadible diving header.......i can see it now ,fantastic !

RuudvanCalderon

Dec 20, 2010
As a teenager during the early nineties, I started to watch the Albion week in week out. I think 'Fans United day' has to be my fondest, but other games that stick out are the four all draw with Orient and the three-nil boxing day demolition of Burnley, with Ian Chapman scoring a twenty five yarder in front of the North stand.

Just the anticipation having walked through the turnstile, taken my place on the terraces in the usual spot. Listening to GOSBTS blare out over the tinny speakers whilst the Albion team ran out on to the pitch.......................................................

and invariably ruined the afternoon

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Arsenal in cup 1987, Bristol Rovers game to get promoted in 87 was it?? 4-1 win over millwall in play offs, 3-2 defeat to Liverpool in 91, Deano's free kick against Ipswich, geting thrown out for over celebrating a Sergei Gotsmanov goal against Hull i think it was and of course the last ever game, loved walking past the chuch on Goldstone lane on the way to a match, buying Gullseye then looking through to see how packed the north stand was or not as the case may have been, then walking out into the north stand and looking over to see how many the away team had brought down ........so many memories.....never forgotten but moving on to The Amex now!!!!!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bristol Rovers at home on the last day of the 87/88 season, had gone to the last away game at Chester and thought we had blown it...fortunately not, amazing atmosphere and one of the best I can remember at the ground.

1-1 draw against Man Utd in the league cup back in 92 (I think). Beckham making his debut and the abuse we gave him for some reason...not that we needed 1 for any of their players. Oh and totally playing them off the park for the last 10 minutes or so.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
My first ever game was at the Goldstone. BHA 1 Saints 1.

scan0005.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

I also remember enjoying Brighton beat P*mpey 2 - 1. Both goals in the last minute. Early 90's I think.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My first ever game was at the Goldstone. BHA 1 Saints 1.
I think I'll remind dad of that pic some time, before he turned to the dark side.

Classic pic at the end there. There's THREE kids for dad to aim at, and he's managed ONE face. Quality effort, dad. :rolleyes:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think I'll remind dad of that pic some time, before he turned to the dark side.

Classic pic at the end there. There's THREE kids for dad to aim at, and he's managed ONE face. Quality effort, dad. :rolleyes:

Why's Tim not in a Norwich kit?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Peter Ward, every time he got the ball. It's great watching The Albion at the moment but I almost feel sorry for my son and dearly wish he could have seen the brilliant days back in Div 3 when I was his age.......saying that, how FAB is it at the moment, top of the league, playing glorious keep-ball football, Gus (still got a soft spot for Mullery, but Gus is wonderful) and the almost impossible to believe it's really for us, Falmer! These truly are GREAT times we're enjoying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
lots of match memories but rising above them all is simply walking along the OSR, crossing at the Sackville then along past the park and queuing at the turnstiles in the old blue-painted tin fence before climbing THOSE STEPS up into the North Stand and just as you breasted the top of the steps the pitch laid out before you ....................... just a wonderful memory. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here