Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the worst run of form a Brighton manager has had,

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Will we see the Colunga Air Show celebration again?

I do not have the stats but would think that George Curtis must be up there as we dropped down the divisions. We eventually finished up in Div 4.

That was my first two seasons. Lots of snow around though. When I first watched the Albion we were 20th in the second flight, just like now and it seemed as soon as the snow had melted we were in Division 4. I remember our forwards to be jokingly incompetent.

But our failure in front of goal now seems like "I'll walk a million miles for one of yer goals" Charlie Livesey. Dunk scored more goals this season than Norman Gall in the whole of his career, and I saw it. I never did take the chance to ring up Radio Sussex to ask Norman Gall how it felt like to score a goal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the second tier in English football is much the same as it always was. Defences do not make mistakes and forwards can't score.

Players from the lower divisions have just got to that more focused on what they are doing and hopeful punt in the opposition penalty area just loses possession. The teams that go down are the ones with porous defences.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only problem SB, is that Poyet's side was still 12th at that point and had managed to win 5 matches. Whereas Hyypia's side is 20th and has only won 2. Arguably Hyypia has the better squad too.

All very true, but the point I was clumsily making is that our non-reactionary Chairman has 'been there done that' when it comes to a run of poor form.

Also other than the managerial 'schooling' Sami received on Saturday, it's not like we've been played off the pitch.
I just don't want us to be like so many other clubs fans (and owners):-

Expecting to win every game.
Sacking managers on a whim.
Demand winning all the cups/promotion.
Assuming we'll be buying unrealistic players.

Sure there's a fair bit of that flying around at the moment, hopefully a couple of wins and things will settle down.
0-0 is like a win, right?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Tommy Cook had it quite bad when he returned to the Albion as manager in 1947. Only three wins in seventeen games led to the fans invading the pitch in protest. Seems we've always been a bunch of moaners.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The team had 7 straight home defeats at Priestfield, I recall, then had a win and a draw, then back to 2 more home defeats. Uncannily I saw all 9 defeats and missed the win and draw while in Barbados...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Also other than the managerial 'schooling' Sami received on Saturday, it's not like we've been played off the pitch.
I just don't want us to be like so many other clubs fans (and owners):-

Expecting to win every game.
Sacking managers on a whim.
Demand winning all the cups/promotion.
Assuming we'll be buying unrealistic players.

Sure there's a fair bit of that flying around at the moment, hopefully a couple of wins and things will settle down.
0-0 is like a win, right?

Good post and normally how I feel as well, the trouble is Saturday was so bad, and this season unconvincing in terms of tactics, that I feel we should be getting ready to act.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good post and normally how I feel as well, the trouble is Saturday was so bad, and this season unconvincing in terms of tactics, that I feel we should be getting ready to act.
Sami got out managed on Saturday.
Boro played wide and deep and kept their discipline.
They knew they could get in behind us, they just had to wait for the right moment to strike.

Sure Sami changed it up at halftime, but still concerning that we still had nothing in the final third and that it took so long.

We were treated to Greer and Dunk auditioning for 'The Chuckle Brothers Story - To me to you'.
Instead of the captain/bench changing formation after 20 minutes or so.

So that's that, pooh happens, move on.
Fingers crossed Sami has/is learning from Saturday's experience and will be all the better for it.

Time will tell.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They knew they could get in behind us, they just had to wait for the right moment to strike.

Sure Sami changed it up at halftime, but still concerning that we still had nothing in the final third and that it took so long.

We were treated to Greer and Dunk auditioning for 'The Chuckle Brothers Story - To me to you'.

Fingers crossed Sami has/is learning from Saturday's experience and will be all the better for it.

Time will tell.

Players also need to develop a siege mentality and be ready for a battle, just going out and enjoying themselves needs to go on the back burner.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Time will tell.

Good post, but I'm not as confident as you.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
What about Barry Lloyd when he first took over ? 13 without winning
And then he won the 14th.. 2-0 against Palace in April 1987 - my first ever match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here