Whats the score with MVC?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Does anyone know how you can redeem the vouchers? I went down there today (Hove) for the sale. It had closing down signs in the window but you can't use the vouchers. I've only got £10 worth but I bet there's a lot of angry people with more. And some of the discounts were only 10%-20%

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Company has gone bust.

Guess the liquidators don't want vouchers. Funny that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
MVC always was a bit weird. They won't be missed.

And anybody with vouchers should just walk out the shop with goods to the value of the voucher. It's probably legally binding.

& Like the staff are going to care?

Last edited:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Good job it was only a tenner but I'm sure some people have lost a lot more. I only ever used them when I couldn't be arsed to go into town. Now I use online a lot more and the new Tesco is cheap so MVC can :salute:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Great Cornholio said:
MVC vouchers used to be Woolworths as well - probably not anymore though.

they owned them till this summer,when they sold out to some company.

obviously risdale and son

or

frank butcher limited

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Jello said:
Good job it was only a tenner but I'm sure some people have lost a lot more. I only ever used them when I couldn't be arsed to go into town. Now I use online a lot more and the new Tesco is cheap so MVC can :salute:

Still reckon you should make an issue of it and try walking out of the shop with a ten quid CD. You owe it to the person who gave you the voucher in good faith. If they're open and selling stuff then they can damn well take the vouchers. Go on, f*** 'EM UP!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tom Hark said:
MVC always was a bit weird. They won't be missed.

They will be me and the people who live in this town. MVC was the only cd/dvd/game shop here. From mid january we won't have one aside from one small rack in Woolies and the ten cd's on sale in Tesco.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Tom Hark said:
Still reckon you should make an issue of it and try walking out of the shop with a ten quid CD. You owe it to the person who gave you the voucher in good faith. If they're open and selling stuff then they can damn well take the vouchers. Go on, f*** 'EM UP!

Defo. Otherwise it's them that's stolen from you. Take what is YOURS.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Starry said:
They will be me and the people who live in this town. MVC was the only cd/dvd/game shop here. From mid january we won't have one aside from one small rack in Woolies and the ten cd's on sale in Tesco.

A niche in the market to set up a home CD shop from your front room. Second hand Cds/Dvds, selling via Ebay as well.

Starry Plc

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
f*** sake!

The only place in Redhill were I work which doesn't just sell top 10 albums :angry: Smith and Woolworth only sell stuff which will chart well meaning most of it's shite!

Soon smaller artists will only have the internet as a way for there music to be sold! :nono:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
surely wont this mean cd warehouse, fopp, or someone like that expanding to fill mvc's hole?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
A niche in the market to set up a home CD shop from your front room. Second hand Cds/Dvds, selling via Ebay as well.

Starry Plc

I'll get onto that tomorrow morning!

Seriously. I find it really sad.

Obviously the use of the internet illegal downloads and play.com/amazon etc have had an impact on shop sales, then places like iTunes/Napster, then of course Tesco/Asda selling really cheap takes the chunk of people who still buy in stores.

We've lost Unwins recently, now MVC. Soon we'll just have one big-jumbo store for everything and no individual shops left.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Starry said:
I'll get onto that tomorrow morning!

Seriously. I find it really sad.

Obviously the use of the internet illegal downloads and play.com/amazon etc have had an impact on shop sales, then places like iTunes/Napster, then of course Tesco/Asda selling really cheap takes the chunk of people who still buy in stores.

We've lost Unwins recently, now MVC. Soon we'll just have one big-jumbo store for everything and no individual shops left.

There have been at least three independent surveys that have found that file-sharing programs like Napster have had no effect on CD sales - no matter what the recording industry would have us believe. Thirty years ago it was home-taping that was supposedly killing music; there was little evidence of that either.

What has affected the smaller retailers are the rise of online outlets like Amazon and, as you say, the discounting by the likes of Asda/Tecso.

But this is a phenomenon that has affected small food outlets, bookshops etc. The only way to stop it is to stop shopping at supermarkets but there's little chance of that happening.

You're right - soon there'll only be a few giant stores and we'll all be moaning about it. But we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports