Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the right age to let your children listen to swearing in music/films?

Do you take them to football?

We go in the Family Stand which is really well behaved but when I took him up to Milton Keynes (he was 6) and 9000 started singing "your support is f***ing shlt" he looked at me with a look of horror. Thing is if he was that shocked how did he know it was a swear word in the first place? I dont cover his ears, as someone has said it's more a case of education, I tell him not to swear in front of women, kids or indeed the vicar

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Yep. They didn't know anyone was swearing as they didn't recognise the words. They know now though. Although it's been several years before they realised there's a swear word in 'ooooooooooooo! Your shit, ahhhhhhh'.

Been taking my littelun to footie since she was 5, she is 10 now and still loves it. She asked me what they were singing and I said "Your sheep baa"...and that is what she sings to this day..even though she now knows the proper words...lol...

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I've kept the kids away from swearing, but things like Spotify and YouTube make that tricky. My kids are pretty good at stopping watching things that they notice have swearing in, but I feel like telling them they don't have to any more.

It also means not letting them see threads on here, because you're are all potty mouthed w@nkers.

So, at what age is it ok to just let them listen to all music, watch all YT, and read the depraved NSC?

They would've been hearing swear words from 5-6 in the playground at school and down the park etc at the end of the day they are only words and some of the oldest in our language as long as they still continue to be respectful then they should be fine

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They would've been hearing swear words from 5-6 in the playground at school and down the park etc at the end of the day they are only words and some of the oldest in our language as long as they still continue to be respectful then they should be fine
Who said they were respectful? They're vindictive little shits.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well don't ask such silly questions then and let the fu ckers swear like a pikey
Vindictive is bad enough with polite language, if they start swearing we'll have to move to Croydon.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
We were out for a family meal with the in-laws last weekend for Mothers' day. Upon leaving I bode my father in law goodbye with a cheery "see you next Tuesday", mainly because I was seeing him again on Tuesday and not because he's particularly objectionable. I was therefore surprised and slightly horrified that my 12 year old and 10 year old daughters reprimanded me for saying that to Granddad! At least they both knew it was a word that is never to be repeated.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, just being completely honest. He'd heard it at school, and she had no idea it was swearing.
It wasn't just your potty mouthed children, it was your street talk to go with it:
Obviously, I had a word in his shell like

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
After a somewhat rowdy evening in a pub somewhere (I can't remember exactly where), my daughter (old enough to buy her own drinks) did tell me that she thought she was too young to listen to my rendition of the limerick about the young lady from Bude who danced on the stage in the nude.

It couldn't've been me, I was in the back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't just your potty mouthed children, it was your street talk to go with it:

Having a word in his shell like? I've used that expression for donkey's years. Maybe I'm more hip than you think I am :lol:

(Ps I was in the Navy)

larus

Yep. They didn't know anyone was swearing as they didn't recognise the words. They know now though. Although it's been several years before they realised there's a swear word in 'ooooooooooooo! Your shit, ahhhhhhh'.

I hope you told them the all pedants are complete c*nts too. You know, the type who point out it's "you're shit". Unless of course, you are pointing to his shit, in which case it's perfectly OK.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Old enough to know that the words have their uses, but also to understand not to use them regularly as many people are easily offended.

I'd say early teens, but kids differ so much in their maturity levels.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

'You're sheep, baaaaaaaaaaaaaa' is a very reasonable alternative.

Edit: apols as fixtures

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I hope you told them the all pedants are complete c*nts too. You know, the type who point out it's "you're shit".
Are you calling yourself a c*nt?
Unless of course, you are pointing to his shit, in which case it's perfectly OK.
Yes, I guess it should be "you're".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Old enough to know that the words have their uses, but also to understand not to use them regularly as many people are easily offended.

I'd say early teens, but kids differ so much in their maturity levels.
Yeah, mine are 9 & 10, so I'm not thinking about them using them themselves, but about being allowed to listen to music with swearing in etc. Unfortunately Spotify (and same goes for their competition) don't have a non explicit option, which is a bit shit.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm unfortunately not very good at buttoning my lip so my kids had probably heard most stuff before they ever got to school. My son still doesn't swear himself though.

Street talk :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've kept the kids away from swearing, but things like Spotify and YouTube make that tricky. My kids are pretty good at stopping watching things that they notice have swearing in, but I feel like telling them they don't have to any more.

It also means not letting them see threads on here, because you're are all potty mouthed w@nkers.

So, at what age is it ok to just let them listen to all music, watch all YT, and read the depraved NSC?

Not sure about swearing, but inadvertently introduced me kids to graphic cinematic violence when they were aged about 3 and 1. Made the mistake of hiring Watership Down out of Blockbusters one Saturday. Sort of just assumed it would all be fluffy bunnies hopping about in a field for an hour and a half. Sake! Had to make a dive for the Eject on the VHS about 20 minutes in :eek:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's music videos which worry me much more than a scene in a film or lyrics from a song.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Modern music is a nightmare. My 3 year old loves music and will happily sing along to various songs on youtube where he learns all the words. He loves justin Timberlake and Sia (although daddy is trying very hard to make him like Simple minds) One song he loved was "Cake by the ocean" by DNCE but he noticed a difference in the radio edit and the one on youtube. on the radio is goes "lets go crazy crazy" but on the video is "go f**** crazy". Now Casper Junior doesn't know what that word means of course but as he is learning by repetition thats what he sings - and you cant find a clean version.

I dont understand why swearing has become so mainstream - do the artists think its naughty to appeal to children?

So we have just had to encourage him to like other songs that have better lyrics - you know like Rage against the machine, Eminem, 2Pac etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here