Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What's the problem at West Ham

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I seem to remember one transfer window where they promised they were going to spend whatever it takes to bring in a top striker, then they offered a pitiful amount for Defoe from Sunderland (all the more pitiful given that Defoe was Sunderland's only goalscorer at the time), and a couple of other bids that by that time were the sort top championship sides were paying for their strikers no where near what a premier league side would expect to pay, and it felt like they didn't actually want to spend money, just wanted to say they tried. So it feels weird to see so many in this thread talk about how much they're spending.

The stadium move was always going to be an issue. They didn't need to move, they weren't homeless. So the fans were being forced out of their home. With us, the on-paper-awful Withdean stadium was a homecoming, so we embraced it and did what we could to make it a fortress. To West Ham, the on-paper-awful olympic stadium is an unnecessary change, and one they resent. I'm not entirely sure where the idea that you have to have crowds of 50,000 if you want to compete in the premier league comes from. You need massive financial backing. That premier winners get 50,000 is more an effect, rather than cause, of winning the premier league. It's (usually) the investment from rich owners/recent historical dominance that wins the title.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I seem to remember one transfer window where they promised they were going to spend whatever it takes to bring in a top striker, then they offered a pitiful amount for Defoe from Sunderland (all the more pitiful given that Defoe was Sunderland's only goalscorer at the time), and a couple of other bids that by that time were the sort top championship sides were paying for their strikers no where near what a premier league side would expect to pay, and it felt like they didn't actually want to spend money, just wanted to say they tried. So it feels weird to see so many in this thread talk about how much they're spending.

The stadium move was always going to be an issue. They didn't need to move, they weren't homeless. So the fans were being forced out of their home. With us, the on-paper-awful Withdean stadium was a homecoming, so we embraced it and did what we could to make it a fortress. To West Ham, the on-paper-awful olympic stadium is an unnecessary change, and one they resent. I'm not entirely sure where the idea that you have to have crowds of 50,000 if you want to compete in the premier league comes from. You need massive financial backing. That premier winners get 50,000 is more an effect, rather than cause, of winning the premier league. It's (usually) the investment from rich owners/recent historical dominance that wins the title.

Leicester holds 33k, case in point well made.

and it felt like they didn't actually want to spend money, just wanted to say they tried.

That's how CPFC have gone through their short existence (2010), promising stuff they know won't happen.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the expression is "First world problems". If I could be given one football-related wish for Brighton it wouldn't be for us to win the Champions' League - it would be the hope that us as fans never become a whinging load of miserablists with an inflated sense of entitlement. So many PL clubs seem to be like this; listening to the Southampton fans you'd think they were on the verge of going bust as opposed to just being a rich club having a bad season. And being a top club is no protection from this as Arsenal have proved.

The WHU owners have admittedly over-promised and under-delivered, but so what? That's not just football, that happens all through life. And at least the players wages will get paid on time, the bank isn't threatening them, and WHU will definitely still exist in a few years' time. They ought to look down the road at Orient if they want to see what real problems look like. I hope Gold and Sullivan do sell and WHU get, say SISU taking over.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are the club making £ms profits,and taking as dividends rather than reinvesting some? They sold their,sole a while back ,not surprised it’s falling apart

I heard the owners are clawing back interest on the money they " Loaned " their own club to the tune of several million a year.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Are the club making £ms profits,and taking as dividends rather than reinvesting some? They sold their,sole a while back ,not surprised it’s falling apart

Trouble is, they sold their sole to move to another plaice. Can't skate over it, they haddock comfortable ground of their own, but the board wanted bigger fish to fry.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To West Ham, the on-paper-awful olympic stadium is an unnecessary change, and one they resent. I'm not entirely sure where the idea that you have to have crowds of 50,000 if you want to compete in the premier league comes from. You need massive financial backing. That premier winners get 50,000 is more an effect, rather than cause, of winning the premier league. It's (usually) the investment from rich owners/recent historical dominance that wins the title.

I'm sure I've heard it said/seen it written that for top clubs ticket revenue is just a drop in the ocean compared to their other revenue streams - even to the extent that it probably wouldn't affect them much if they stopped charging for admission (or at least could afford to hugely reduce prices).
So, the idea that moving from a 35K(?) stadium to a 50+K one will be a significant step towards becoming a super-club seems pretty flawed from the start. Plus, nobody will have any sympathy for the club when they blag their way into a stadium on the cheap at the taxpayers expense when everybody else has to pay for their own stadium.
Have they actually demolished the Boleyn Ground yet?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not every owner is in the position or wants to just write off the debt/loans like ours.

But some have an agenda. And when you think that WHUFC are paying 2 mill a year to reside in a stadium that cost the tax payer £700 mill, you have to ask questions about their end goal. They've sold the club away and are now wanting to make a mint out of it. Fortunately for WHU supporters, the owners can't sell them down the river twice as they don't own the stadium. But they are horrible, horrible people that are just sucking the life out of a once good club.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm sure I've heard it said/seen it written that for top clubs ticket revenue is just a drop in the ocean compared to their other revenue streams - even to the extent that it probably wouldn't affect them much if they stopped charging for admission (or at least could afford to hugely reduce prices).
So, the idea that moving from a 35K(?) stadium to a 50+K one will be a significant step towards becoming a super-club seems pretty flawed from the start. Plus, nobody will have any sympathy for the club when they blag their way into a stadium on the cheap at the taxpayers expense when everybody else has to pay for their own stadium.
Have they actually demolished the Boleyn Ground yet?

An extra 15000 on the gate would be worth around £10m extra a year so a significant sum. Would be an extra 2 very high quality players wages over a season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is, they sold their sole to move to another plaice. Can't skate over it, they haddock comfortable ground of their own, but the board wanted bigger fish to fry.

Yes, they've got a whale of a problem now that they're in the wrong plaice - makes you wonder what the porpoise of the move was. Load of codswallop really....................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Absolute mugs. Do they really think a friendly east end owner is going to come in and give them billions to spend?

they already have a friendly east end owner, doesnt suit them the fans that they aren't spending much.

the stadium is obviously a massive cause of resentment. they shifted out of their beloved but restrictive Boleyn Ground to the sterile Olympic park and dont see any dividend from this. reckon long term this will pay off for the club but the fans dont see that for now, losing double against little Brighton must sting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
An extra 15000 on the gate would be worth around £10m extra a year so a significant sum. Would be an extra 2 very high quality players wages over a season.
If they sell them!

Even then, £10M is only a fraction of the £100M they get just for being in the PL, and that £100M is realistically just their starter for more. Yes, an extra £10M is a lot to you and me, and yes, it would make a difference, but not a huge one at the level that top PL clubs are currently operating at. It wouldn't even begin to pay Ozil's wages

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's all relative. If we were owned by Gold and Sullivan, who are obviously just in it for the money, and had that 'football' ground for a stadium, I wouldn't be happy either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If they sell them!

Even then, £10M is only a fraction of the £100M they get just for being in the PL, and that £100M is realistically just their starter for more. Yes, an extra £10M is a lot to you and me, and yes, it would make a difference, but not a huge one at the level that top PL clubs are currently operating at. It wouldn't even begin to pay Ozil's wages

West Ham's total income for 2016/17 will be £175m:

Broadcasting £100m
Ticketing £40m
Commercial & retail £35m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here