Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the most bananas you've gone for any SINGLE Albion goal?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Bounced around like mad at Hereford but it was never one of my best banana moments. The stress before and after was too much for me. YouTube certainly shows it as a great banana moment.

And this... The release of stress at the final whistle was incredible - apparently when the goal went in I was banging on the stand at the back - in a trance... I lost about 10 mins that I didn't remember!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's got to be Hereford surely? Anyone saying otherwise must either have stopped following us (a fair few let's face it!) is a JCL or simply wasn't alive then or too young to remember. But for those of us thereor listening on the radio even....NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THAT MOMENT!!!

Not a JCL for a second, but I wasn't at Hereford (the shame). I was about 18 at the time and didn't really do away games back then. I couldn't get a ticket for Hereford, so listened at home on the radio. We were a goal behind and playing terribly, and- as I've mentioned on here before- my Mum kept popping into my bedroom to hoover and stuff, and there came a point where she asked "How's it going?" as I sat there, glum faced, tuned in to the live commentary. When I replied "They're losing", she brightly responded with "Oh well, never mind! It's only a game!", emphasising to me that she should never, ever come to a football match, under any circumstances.

At that stage, I couldn't face it any more. I couldn't sit there at home, alone, while my beloved club drifted into oblivion. So I turned the radio off and picked up my car keys and went for a drive (in my ace F reg, red Ford Fiesta). I didn't bother with the commentary. I just listened to music.

About half an hour later, I arrived back at home, to be greeted by my Dad, in the front garden, weeding the flower beds or something like that. "Is it still one all?", he asked (he's a massive fan too, just not as obsessive about it as I am). I ran back inside, suddenly completely bricking it again, to catch the final few minutes on Grandstand or whatever it was. When the final whistle went, my reaction was probably as ecstatic as yours was at the game. I just missed that goal moment because, let's face it, I was too scared :)

Best ones for me are, in no particular order, Buckley (obviously), Danny Cullip v Chesterfield I think (justice over the cheats, vindication, CHAMPIONS etc), and Ulloa at Forest. Even fans of other clubs (apart from Reading :lolol: ) were chuckling enviously after that match at the TV scenes of the lower tier in the Bridgford Stand at the City Ground bouncing up and down and its occupants going absolutely batshit mental. I hugged so many people I didn't even know. And it was still early enough to perform a tour of Nottingham's fine pubs afterwards.

Oh, probably Virgo's late, late effort against Swindon in the play offs too. That was hilarious.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolute Scenes.

I really feel sorry for people who don't like football, imagine never feeling like this and being able to go absolutely bamboozle with a load of people you don't know? Absolutely love it.

Spot on. What a feeling.

I have one more to add, as well, that will definitely be on the list for all of the few hundred that were there: the winner away to Bristol Rovers, under Slade - the Great Escape. A cobbled together Albion team of kids, old men and speculative loanees pulled off the result that started the run to unlikley survival.

The little terrace we were on went properly BANANAS - cups of tea all over the place, a PASTY in the air, someone's glasses obliterated. Brilliant.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hammond's goal v Palace in the play off semi at their place. Put us in control, sending us to Wembley and stopping Palace from becoming an established Premier league club and ensuring their inevitable bankruptcy. Oh no wait, the useless square headed **** headed it straight at Speroni from 8 yards out.......

A little off the favorites but for me going 2-0 up at the Goldstone v Liverpool was an explosion! Unfortunately it ended 2-2 but sticks in the mind.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Special belated mention for the Johnny Crumplin 20 yard pile driver great celebrations (shock) and having the whole North Stand singing 'Johnny Crumplin Football Genius' and actually meaning it for once.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jimmy Case in the Norwich quarter final...the north went loopy ..... we had his run in from distance to get a 'semi' going.. then the finish right under our noses....it was joy and pain at the same time.

[yt]kzlkreoDmf8&start=153[/yt]

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's got to be Hereford surely? Anyone saying otherwise must either have stopped following us (a fair few let's face it!) is a JCL or simply wasn't alive then or too young to remember. But for those of us thereor listening on the radio even....NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THAT MOMENT!!!

Not for me. Wilkins v Ipswich is the only goal we've scored where I've ended up in the centre circle and that's what the OP asked. I was listening to Hereford on the radio at my new girlfriend's (now my wife) flat. I felt relief more than anything, I didn't want to scare her off and I still thought we'd lose 2-1. The buggers had ground every ounce of positivity out of me by that point. Even after Fans United and Doncaster I was absolutely convinced we were going down and totally out of love with football.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Would have been Hereford but I was in the Hereford end so stood there in silence, my body imploding quietly.

Buckley's winner v Doncaster. The chap I hugged and screamed joyfully at, belated apologies.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Has to be Hereford away.

It was a goal that had more meaning than winning a trophy or promotion, this was a goal that could very well have saved the club! I went bonkers, but with caution - went more bonkers with the relief when the final whistle went.

boik

I'm surprised there's been no mention of that wonderful day up in Newcastle in 79. Celebrations when Nobbys goal went in were a bit special, and then being kept in for ages at the end and not minding in the slightest.

Not for me. Wilkins v Ipswich is the only goal we've scored where I've ended up in the centre circle and that's what the OP asked. I was listening to Hereford on the radio at my new girlfriend's (now my wife) flat. I felt relief more than anything, I didn't want to scare her off and I still thought we'd lose 2-1. The buggers had ground every ounce of positivity out of me by that point. Even after Fans United and Doncaster I was absolutely convinced we were going down and totally out of love with football.

That's fair because that is your experience, but it also reflects the difference between the reaction to a goal when at the ground and reaction listening on the radio.

I listened to the Liverpool 83 cup game on the radio and whilst others on this thread call this as their top 1 my reaction to that when listening on the radio was nothing compared with my reaction to witnessing goals in person at Hereford (my #1), forest away in 94, Ipswich in 91', Sheffield wed semi in 83, etc...

That's fair because that is your experience, but it also reflects the difference between the reaction to a goal when at the ground and reaction listening on the radio.

I listened to the Liverpool 83 cup game on the radio and whilst others on this thread call this as their top 1 my reaction to that when listening on the radio was nothing compared with my reaction to witnessing goals in person at Hereford (my #1), forest away in 94, Ipswich in 91', Sheffield wed semi in 83, etc...

That should have read Forest away in 2014!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was in the home seats. My reaction to Reinelts goal can best be described as 'restrained'. That was a ****ing stressful day.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Bolton away in the cup,don't ask me why,maybe because it was our only shot in the whole match

for any goal,that would be Gary Lineker against West Germany

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'm surprised there's been no mention of that wonderful day up in Newcastle in 79. Celebrations when Nobbys goal went in were a bit special, and then being kept in for ages at the end and not minding in the slightest.

I remember some big Geordie approaching me outside,I thought here we go,but he just shook my hand and said good luck in the 1st division

well it was us or Sunderland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here