Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the matter with Coppell?

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
From todays' press;.........

Reading are unwilling to stake a measly £50,000 on Shaun Goater firing them to the Premiership.
The shot-shy Royals are in danger of blowing their play-off chances after managing just one goal in six winless Championship games since Boxing Day.
With leading scorer Dave Kitson injured - and Nicky Forster and new signing Les Ferdinand struggling to hit a cows backside with a banjo - a fully fit Goater has been left kicking his heels and counting his £8,000 a week in the reserves.
Boss Steve Coppell revealed: "We have a stand-off with Shaun. That sounds confrontational but it isn't. It's just the unfortunate result of his transfer situation."
"If he plays one more game we have to pay out £50,000. I've told Shaun I don't think he's the future of this club so I don't want to pay it."
"He doesn't want to go out on loan and so he's doing nothing here, which is a shame." When asked if Goaters' goals would be worth more to Reading than £50,000 Coppell snapped "Have you got that sort of money to throw away?"
"It's nothing personal, he just doesn't fit my style. I like pace and power up front. Goat's not happy but I've lived and died by my decisions for a long time."

Now unless I'm wrong aren't we now coming into the final straight as far as the season goes. If Reading don't pick up soon my bet is that the Premiership dream can be put on hold for another season. If £50,000 was the difference between getting into the Premiership and another season in the Championship I think I'd get my cheque book out a bit sharpish. Unless there's a sudden cash-flow problem we don't know about of course. They need to score goals and Goater could be the man to do it.
Seems that when Coppell gets a bee in his bonnet about a certain player nothing will make him play that person. Ask Adam Virgo!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Funniest thing i've read all day!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kitson injured? Must run in the family

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Strange behaviour from Coppell it has to be said.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It sounds like Madjeski is pulling the leash. has he got his eye on another work of art to put in The Tate, or is Mr Coppell being straight.

I for one doubt it.

Gullet said:
From todays' press;.........

"It's nothing personal, he just doesn't fit my style. I like pace and power up front. Goat's not happy but I've lived and died by my decisions for a long time."

Has he DIED:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can just see the headlines now:

"Royals boss killed by decision"

Mind you when he was with us it was more like death by indecision....................................

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Gullet said:
Now unless I'm wrong aren't we now coming into the final straight as far as the season goes. If Reading don't pick up soon my bet is that the Premiership dream can be put on hold for another season. If £50,000 was the difference between getting into the Premiership and another season in the Championship I think I'd get my cheque book out a bit sharpish. Unless there's a sudden cash-flow problem we don't know about of course. They need to score goals and Goater could be the man to do it.
Seems that when Coppell gets a bee in his bonnet about a certain player nothing will make him play that person. Ask Adam Virgo!!!

Goater is awful and not worth £50k. Therefore Coppell wants to spend the money elsewhere. We already have Forster, Kitson, Ferdinand, Owusu, and Morgan, so Goater is now a 5th choice striker. Midfield and getting the balls into the front two is actually the reason behind our goal-scoring drought of the last few weeks.

We need better players, and not Goater.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: What's the matter with Coppell?

Wilts said:
Goater is awful and not worth £50k. .

We need better players, and not Goater.

Coppell says that he doesn't want to go out on loan is it a case of him just wanting to collect his ?? grand each week for doing nothing

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Re: Re: Re: What's the matter with Coppell?

BensGrandad said:
Coppell says that he doesn't want to go out on loan is it a case of him just wanting to collect his ?? grand each week for doing nothing

Tis fair enough I imagine. I wouldn't be happy if Pardew had brought me in, then fecked off and Coppell didn't like me. I'd rather sit on a bench that have to travel to somewhere like Rotherham to play!

Pardew spend £500,000 on this shower. :angry:

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Goater proved his worth in the premier league.
U ask any Man. City fan about him and they all say he's a legend.

so maybe the problem is motivational or the fact that he wants to play for a proper team...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here