What's the furthest place East and West I could see from the end of the pier?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You can easily see Worthing and onwards to (presumably) LA but how much further than that? Bognor? Chichester? Is it true you can see the Isle of Wight?

And what about East? It's just Beachy Head innit?

And how far across the channel? 10 miles? 20?

These questions have been bothering me for ages.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I don't think you can see the Isle of Wight from the pier but you can certainly see it from Hollingbury Hill and also from Woodingdean

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You can easily see Worthing and onwards to (presumably) LA but how much further than that? Bognor? Chichester? Is it true you can see the Isle of Wight?

Worthing pier's the furthest directly along the coast you can see, Littlehampton's round the corner.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have it on authority that, on a clear day, you can see forever

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Any reason why? i think off the top of my noodle its 22.summat miles to calais from dover. as for the all points east and west it all depends on the type of air pollution on the day viewed.f*** that nearly sounds like i know what im on about.(nearly)

I have it on authority that, on a clear day, you can see forever

Wrong pier. You're thinking Worthing Pier

Any reason why? i think off the top of my noodle its 22.summat miles to calais from dover. as for the all points east and west it all depends on the type of air pollution on the day viewed.f*** that nearly sounds like i know what im on about.(nearly)

Just bothers me. At least at Devils Dyke they have a picture pointing out the landmarks and what they're called. Just quite fancied knowing so I could impress the Spanish student ladies with my expert local knowledge.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Worthing pier's the furthest directly along the coast you can see, Littlehampton's round the corner.

You can see Butlins (those big white sail thingys!) (Bognor Regis) from my flat, just up from the Palace Pier when the weather condition is clear. I can also see the Isle of Wight when it is backlit.

:)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If your eye is at sea level, and what you are looking at is at sea level, you can see about 4 miles. Curvature of the Earth an all that.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
from east beach selsey you can see the lights all along the coast to brighton , so from brighton you may be able to see selsey, i think

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If your eye is at sea level, and what you are looking at is at sea level, you can see about 4 miles. Curvature of the Earth an all that.

I think it may be more than that, on a clear day ( lack of airborne pollutants) I can see the Isle of Wight from the height of the prom on Worthing seafront.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I think it may be more than that, on a clear day ( lack of airborne pollutants) I can see the Isle of Wight from the height of the prom on Worthing seafront.

Rough guesses here but if a six foot man can see 4 miles from sea level then if you're looking from the prom shouldn't you add another 4 miles for each six foot above sea level? Then, if you're looking at tall things like cliffs that are far away then their height must play a part in the sum too.
Don't know how high Worthing prom is so that mat be a load of old guff.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003

think its 12 miles to the horizon, and why International waters start 12 miles from land (ie as far as the eye can see)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rough guesses here but if a six foot man can see 4 miles from sea level then if you're looking from the prom shouldn't you add another 4 miles for each six foot above sea level? Then, if you're looking at tall things like cliffs that are far away then their height must play a part in the sum too.
Don't know how high Worthing prom is so that mat be a load of old guff.

Just to confuse things.... i f I leave the prom and walk down the beach as the tide recedes, I can still see the Isle of Wight ( on a pollutant free day etc.) even though I am below the mean High Water Mark ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The cliffs you can see on the Isle of Wight are about 300ft high.
But going back to the original question, from the end of the Palace Pier, Seaford Head to the east and bits of Littlehampton / Bognor to the West.

Is Chanctonbury the big hill that you can see in the background looking west?

I'm loathe to start another thread on views from Sussex but I am very partial to contemplating my navel and admiring the views from Chanctonbury and Cissbury Rings where you can see the IOW on even a not so sunny day.

Sussex countryside is feckin beautiful.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
There is a small difference depending on which internet site you look but the approximate distance for various heights above sea level to the horizon are:

The height above sea level in feet is the first number on each line, followed by the distance in miles.
6, 3.3
10, 4.25
20, 6
50, 9.5
100, 13.5
500, 30

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports