Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
now I'm 46 and a bit more grown up I suppose my biggest risk starts next Thursday . will be leaving family friends and the albion behind and emigrate to new Zealand with my wife and daughter . Tuesday night was my last game !

Good luck, we contemplated moving to New Zealand while we were out there for four weeks loved the North Island (slightly warmer) the very daywe got back we actually gathered all the information to apply to emigrate, house selling etc, the works then a week or so later the wife told me she was pregnant.... that put paid to that idea, anyway we have something to always remind us of the lovely time we had in New Zealand.

Where are you moving too ?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Good luck, we contemplated moving to New Zealand while we were out there for four weeks loved the North Island (slightly warmer) the very daywe got back we actually gathered all the information to apply to emigrate, house selling etc, the works then a week or so later the wife told me she was pregnant.... that put paid to that idea, anyway we have something to always remind us of the lovely time we had in New Zealand.

you'll have the give the little'un a well funky name like kea , rangi , crab or duty free...x

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Most the usual stuff.

Running with the bulls on 40 mins sleep and still a bit drunk was a risky move (hell of an opening ceremony though), by far the biggest adrenaline rush! Someone on our coach had his ear tore off by one of the small bulls in the arena at the end. Someone also died that run, 2009.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1: I walked back in past the bouncer lying on the floor with his ear bitten off upstairs I found them at the bar laughing and drinking one of them lunged at me with a bottle and the rest piled in for a while, then the leader shouted at them to stop. He pulled me up to my feet and asked "why did you come back in " my reply was "I knew you would get me at a rally or another club, so thought lets get this over with"
The real reason of course, being that you were a bit dumb. No offence, but if a bouncer's had his ear bitten off, maybe it's time to call it a night, even if you have to avoid clubs and rallies. Glad you weren't left in a worse state.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Possibly not the biggest risk, but one of the most stupid things I've done was at party in Deux Alpes, just for the giggles I dropped my trousers and spread my ball sack, like a batwing, across a mates leg, I then had somebody punch a stapler through my sack thus attaching me to my friends leg. It was quite messy.
:eek: I always knew I was the intelligent one here.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

The wife got a job in Wellington ! When we first started this a couple of years ago I hoped she wouldn't get a job in Wellington (it being called windy welly and all that). Doing our research on the area however it does seem like a pretty cool place (its nickname is the coolest little capital in the world) with lots to do . That being said we don't want to live in the city and have earmarked the Kapiti coast about 25 miles north of wellington . House prices and schools are good , the weather is better with huge beaches . Only issue may be the wifes commute of 50 odd mins either way so we'll see how that pans out! We arrive next Saturday and to be honest its a massive headf*ck thinking that's it, new life , saying goodbye to friends , family and the albion . I was really excited before but as its getting closer I'm getting more worried ! That's the way the mind works I suppose but I reckon we are making a good move, particularly for my 9 year old daughter , who I think will have a much better life there. .

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Went to a punk show in Orange County in California which was full of skinheads who were really getting on my nerves, in the end I told them I was jewish (I'm not) just to wind them up, that was a mistake. Basically they waited outside for me with knives and guns, I was smuggled out of the club in the boot of my friends car and pretty sheepish the next day about my actions. Over the next couple of weeks I kept hearing about skinheads looking for the English guy and was getting ready to call it a day and fly back to the UK, however, luckily for me a group of them picked a fight with a Mexican guy in Huntington Beach who produced a gun and shot four of them dead. After that the noise about finding me diminished.............................. note to myself, don't screw around with nazis who carry guns :glare:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Went to a punk show in Orange County in California which was full of skinheads who were really getting on my nerves, in the end I told them I was jewish (I'm not) just to wind them up, that was a mistake. Basically they waited outside for me with knives and guns, I was smuggled out of the club in the boot of my friends car and pretty sheepish the next day about my actions. Over the next couple of weeks I kept hearing about skinheads looking for the English guy and was getting ready to call it a day and fly back to the UK, however, luckily for me a group of them picked a fight with a Mexican guy in Huntington Beach who produced a gun and shot four of them dead. After that the noise about finding me diminished.............................. note to myself, don't screw around with nazis who carry guns :glare:

:lolol: I like how this risk you took had absolutely ZERO chance of making your life better.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Possibly not the biggest risk, but one of the most stupid things I've done was at party in Deux Alpes, just for the giggles I dropped my trousers and spread my ball sack, like a batwing, across a mates leg, I then had somebody punch a stapler through my sack thus attaching me to my friends leg. It was quite messy.

what the hell would you do for a laugh?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The real reason of course, being that you were a bit dumb. No offence, but if a bouncer's had his ear bitten off, maybe it's time to call it a night, even if you have to avoid clubs and rallies. Glad you weren't left in a worse state.

bit harsh, if I had not gone back that night they would have caught up with me and every day until that day I would have been worried, I was not going to avoid going out they wanted all of us for no other reason than a few of us were sharp skins (not me one way or the other)

I actually got off light when big bollox told them to stop, it suddenly dawned on him why did he come back and maybe let me off slightly.

He lives in America now still preaching hate in Northern California near Sonoma..

I still think I did the right thing, No boken bones just a few stitches not much worse than coming off a scooter in all fairness.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Hailing a taxi on the streets of Johannesburg in the evening coming back from Ghana v Uruguay WC 2010.

Got back to my hostel in fine, no problems, but got told the next day it was a huge risk..

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Still get sweats about this.

Again, Bundaberg Australia.

Went to a deserted beach to spot bullsharks (we were at a famous nesting/breeding site) which was essentially a delta.
Absolutely gorgeous day, but with the water being so murky due to the sediment being carved up, we couldn't see f**k all.

We spent the next 1-2 hours drinking our way through a few cans in the 35-40 degree heat, watching this flock of pelicans on a 'desert island', only about 50 metres across the river/delta.

We hadn't seen any sharks or sea life, were baking hot and a few beers gone, so decided to swim across the delta to the desert island to take a closer look at these birds.

Half way across, I felt impending death, the current was so strong, we were basically in limbo in the middle of the river being dragged out and all I could think about is what is underneath us.
After about 10 minutes of literally swimming for my life (bearing in mind the swim was only 50m), we were absolutely fecked, face down on the sand (on the island).

Once we had gathered out breaths, we had a quick look at the birds, but at this point we were definitely not in the mood to get up close and personal with any wildlife.
We wanted to make a quick exit and just get back to the car, only to see the tide had come in, and the 50m swim had almost doubled in the space of only 10 minutes or so.

We organized our swimming formation (in preparation for imminent shark attack) and I swam for my life. A couple of guys were dragging behind but I just had to keep smashing forwards.

Everyone made it back safe, all with very spoiled swim-shorts.

I never knew if there were sharks around us or even remotely close. It was just the fear of 'could there be' that got to me.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Playing football a week before this incident (many years ago) I was felled just below the knee with my right foot planted in the turf and my ankle ballooned. A week later I went to hospital after work with a now searing pain in my ankle and an x ray proved it was broken. A good time later an elderly lady had plastered my leg up to my knee and asked if someone was coming to collect me. I replied my car was in the hospital short stay car park and I should call for a taxi as it was past 11pm. She replied if you don't move your car soon it'll be clamped. She then kindly pushed me in a wheelchair to my car and said I should drive it to the long stay car park round the corner . As she handed me the crutches I thought if I can get to the other car park I can probably drive myself home .... which I did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
bit harsh
:) Well I wasn't there (my life has been very tame) and you're happy with your decision. **** having an ear chewed off though. A glass in the face could have ****ed you for life too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here