Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What year did Brighton become a city?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
But are we even sure about the city's correct name? 'And' or ampersand? The Albion, the council and (I think) the bus company use the latter although Wikipedia among others writes And.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I've claimed many a time that my wife loves me so much, she turned my favourite town into a city. She was part of the 3 person team that the council had working on the bid and all it's publicity and events.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Actually - I do. I have taken to using the full unofficial title, "The Independent People's Republic of Brighton and Hove". Although, that doesn't mention we're a City. I have used the expression, "The City of Brighton and Hove" when explaining that neither Brighton nor Hove, Actually is a City. Combined, we are. I find the people of the North have a particular difficulty in understanding the concept.

Yeah well they all think Brighton is near Newquay round here :shrug:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I've claimed many a time that my wife loves me so much, she turned my favourite town into a city. She was part of the 3 person team that the council had working on the bid and all it's publicity and events.

I must know your wife then. I worked in the office next to them in Kings House.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

I was very much a 'thing' at some point. When Sunderland got the nod ahead of Brighton in 1992 I got the right hump.

Still gutted that it's Brighton and Hove, (I live in Hove, not bloody Brighton).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I was very much a 'thing' at some point. When Sunderland got the nod ahead of Brighton in 1992 I got the right hump.

Still gutted that it's Brighton and Hove, (I live in Hove, not bloody Brighton).

'It', not 'I'.

.........otherwise it would be drunken nonsense speak

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Was it 2000 or 2001?

I'm doing a quiz tonight about Sussex and Brighton, and want to put this in, but even on Wiki it says 2000 in one place and 2001 in another.

I don't want it to be ambiguous, so what is the definite answer please chaps?

I always thought it was 2000 as part of the millennium bestowments?

I don't know the answer to that but I do know the answer to another good quiz question, 'which dog found the stolen 1966 world cup trophy?'....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here