Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you teach someone from abroad about British Culture?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Hi all. If you follow the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread at all, you will know that my wife and I are going to Ukraine on the 20th to volunteering in an orphanage for a week. The orphanage is for 14-18 year olds and they live and study in a college learning different trades and skills. There are 24 females and 53 males. One of the things that they have suggested we might be able to do for them is to teach the young adults something about British culture. Their level of speaking English is quite low. My wife does speak Ukrainian as well as English. So I am looking for ideas and any pointers to online resources to highlight the best that this sceptred Isle has to offer. Anyone that has worked as an ESOL teacher? I will be taking a BHAFC shirt with me!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH the Premier League in general seems a good place to start, obviously with a heavy Albion bias

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
jaffa cakes are cakes. as informed from the name.

the English culture this highlights is the ability to debate this for decades, even with court cases.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
British culture you say, get battered on a Friday night, then have some greasy chips and spread them down the tarmac in a mushed up paste. Get home and fall through your neighbours six foot larch lap fence....and then repeat it all again on Saturday.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t necessarily agree with all of the below, but a lot of people do.

Tea, Branston Pickle (I know, I’m obsessed), Greggs, Fawlty Towers (NOT Monty Python or Mr. Bean, which the Yanks have commandeered), full English breakfast, fish and chips, football, queuing, bad teeth (only going to get worse in future generations, thanks Tories)

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Well that is until tracksuit Ted pushes in, then it all kicks off.
That reminds me of a situation years ago in a pub. A colleague of mine was at the bar, patiently waiting to get served when “Ted” pushed in. My colleague said that Ted shouldn’t queue jump and Ted said “You better come outside” to which my colleague said “You better have one of these” “Whack” and Ted was on his way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here