What will happen if we finish with an identical record to Crewe?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Using my back of an envelope calculations there is a small chance we could finish with an identical record to Crewe. E.g. if Crewe draw their last two games 0-0 and we lose 2-3 and 2-4 we will be equal in terms of points, goal difference, goals scored and wins.

Supposing this happens and one of us has to go down how will it be decided? Play-off match, this seasons results v Crewe, drawing of lots?

Anyone any idea?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most goals scored stays up?

If we are indentical in every way I guess Crewe's overall goals scored against might send us down?

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Most goals scored stays up?

Using my back of an envelope calculations there is a small chance we could finish with an identical record to Crewe. E.g. if Crewe draw their last two games 0-0 and we lose 2-3 and 2-4 we will be equal in terms of points, goal difference, goals scored and wins.

Supposing this happens and one of us has to go down how will it be decided? Play-off match, this seasons results v Crewe, drawing of lots?

Anyone any idea?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Head to Head is the final one - if that hadn't worked, i.e. both matches finished 1-1, there is even the option to play-off...!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Goes to club who have scored most if equal head to head and if still equal I am fairly certain I read somewhere that it goes to alphabetic order, I know it sound s stupid but I am fairly certain it is correct.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I read somewhere that it goes to alphabetic order, I know it sound s stupid but I am fairly certain it is correct.

It goes to alphabetical order only if it doesn't involve a relegation/promotion issue.

If it does, there would be a play-off.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
So in summary, no one knows for sure.

I can't find anything on the interweb about this.

I just hope the Football League know. Of course the chances of this happening are miniscule, but it'd be interesting to know. I suspect it would involve a play-off, but I'm not sure why I think this.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
So in summary, no one knows for sure.

I can't find anything on the interweb about this.

I just hope the Football League know. Of course the chances of this happening are miniscule, but it'd be interesting to know. I suspect it would involve a play-off, but I'm not sure why I think this.

I can tell you it goes on the head-to-head of the two teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports