Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will cost us this season...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you really think the club had just one option!!?? Really!!?? Then that reflects VERY poorly on the club... but I don't believe that...
We know of at least 3 and the stumbling block, one way or another, for each deal was money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately with some refs wanting to be at the centre of attraction and the most important people in football some yellow cards will be issued rather bizarly and cannot be appealed or disputed but the ones that shouldnt be tolerated is players getting one for dissent. They need to be punished with club fines if they cannot learn and act quickly to stop this practice.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hi Icy. I didn't say any of this.. We effectively walked the league anyway finishing 20 points above 7th place. Bit hard to fathom given you're so sure we were lacking.
How did that happen if we were so devoid of attacking options ?

Strikers weren't "clearly* the reason we didn't go up last season because we missed out literally in the final few minutes of the season . Why not just blame refs?, or It could have been one of a dozen things throughout the year as i listed above. of course there's an argument to say it was Zamora or Wilson or Hemed's injuries and another striker would have helped but its not clear.

I didn't say we shouldn't be looking for more attacking options this season but just understand the clubs reasoning why they didn't land their target in the summer and haven't , given that its September and we've just won our last 2 league matches completely written off our chances this year either. thats all.

As I said, you've changed your tune, and the missing striker is:
(a) the most obvious reason for our failure to get promoted last season... why did the club pursue the striker options they pursued in both the summer and Jan (last season) to plug the striker gap, if this wasn't the case?
(b) the most obvious weakness in our squad this season... we have 2 quality options (at least) for EVERY position on the pitch, EXCEPT second striker... if the club missed out on option 1, then why not go to plan B, C, etc.? What the **** were they doing?

Conclusion: despite PB's BS about the 'success' of our most recent window, and the club apologist nonsense (led by you) on here, it is clear to anyone with half a brain cell that the club have failed for the last 3 windows to address the single most important recruitment gap in our squad...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barber actually said this SB. He didn't say we weren't prepared to "over pay" , just that we weren't prepared to over pay for "numbers" who wouldn't "strengthen" the squad.
Not sure what other agenda you think they have.

PS:What happened to your vow of silence on this particular matter?

"we will only spend money on players that strengthen our group, and in an over-heated market we won't over-pay for alternatives that simply don't meet this objective and would just be a case of adding numbers. "
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-hove-albion-3285030.aspx#3Phw5yEupOFl8PPj.99

It seems that Mr Barber needs to more realistic about the market price of strikers then... more BS to protect his bonus...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Signing a record fee striker guaranteed promotion for Blackburn with Rhodes and Fulham with McCormack, so it should have worked for us in the summer too.

This is cr@p... neither of those squads were even close... we are so very close to having a top 2 squad...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In truth, I laughed when I heard how much Burnley paid for Gray but then I'm not paid to scout players :smile:

I really like TH but he and Murray are too similar, we really needed a fit James Wilson type player to play off them. I'd love Baldock to come good, but even if all three forwards were performing I'd STILL say we were one decent forward short :shrug:

You are spot on IG... ignore the idiots on here, still arguing that a striker is not required... they clearly don't have a ****ing clue...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think you might find that in that period BG when Rhodes was scoring those goals for Middlesboro - Brighton picked up more points than Middlesboro did. I am not certain but I think Brighton picked up more points than anyone in the league from February/March onwards

'Boro saw a gap in their squad, they plugged it, they got promoted... we didn't, and we didn't... end of argument... these are the facts...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Do you really think the club had just one option!!?? Really!!?? Then that reflects VERY poorly on the club... but I don't believe that...

We know of at least 3 and the stumbling block, one way or another, for each deal was money.

Conclusion: despite PB's BS about the 'success' of our most recent window, and the club apologist nonsense (led by you) on here, it is clear to anyone with half a brain cell that the club have failed for the last 3 windows to address the single most important recruitment gap in our squad...

I'm not a 'club apologist.' I live in Suffolk and have no connections at the club apart from the friends and family I watch games with. I just don't agree with the assumption you are making that it is only money that has prevented us signing another striker. Waving a Cheque book is not the only requirement in a transfer. You are assuming one possible reason then believing it as fact and using it as a stick with which to beat the club. Kind of reminiscent of tabloid journalism.If however you can prove me wrong and indeed lack of money can be shown to be the reason then I will accept that I am wrong. If that is the case then so be it it as the owners of the club are subsidizing my enjoyment of the footie and I do not expect anything of them.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not a 'club apologist.' I live in Suffolk and have no connections at the club apart from the friends and family I watch games with. I just don't agree with the assumption you are making that it is only money that has prevented us signing another striker. Waving a Cheque book is not the only requirement in a transfer. You are assuming one possible reason then believing it as fact and using it as a stick with which to beat the club. Kind of reminiscent of tabloid journalism.If however you can prove me wrong and indeed lack of money can be shown to be the reason then I will accept that I am wrong. If that is the case then so be it it as the owners of the club are subsidizing my enjoyment of the footie and I do not expect anything of them.

Show me where I talked about money... I think you need to re-read my posts... I just pointed out the oh so ****ing obvious failure to recruit a striker... and PB's BS... I did NOT pin this failure on money... just poor recruitment...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Show me where I talked about money... I think you need to re-read my posts... I just pointed out the oh so ****ing obvious failure to recruit a striker... and PB's BS... I did NOT pin this failure on money... just poor recruitment...

Over paying on players fees/wages is the definition of poor recruitment.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Oh OK, sorry I'm clearly mixing you up with someone else. So difficult chatting anonymously with people you don't know (is my excuse :))
I agree that we need another striker as back up to replace Wilson. I just don't want to jump to conclusions as to why that hasn't happened as it could be any number of things. I also just don't feel the alienation necessary to criticize the club in this way. I have to pinch myself that this is the same footy team as the one I have followed for decades.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
'Boro saw a gap in their squad, they plugged it, they got promoted... we didn't, and we didn't... end of argument... these are the facts...

This thread between BG and myself was about signing a striker such as Rhodes - Your post in response to mine went slightly off topic by stating we didn't plug the gap in our squad.

The gap in our squad was at full back position and it occurred due to an excessive injury list to our full backs. It occurred when the transfer window was closed and found it difficult to address - Thats the period which cost us points. We addressed it when we could with Ridgwell and our form picked up again immediately after that and we picked up more points than Middlesbrough after that.

These are the facts - End of Argument

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Think the market's overheated this season? Guess what, it'll be more overheated next season. And the one after. And the ones after that until such time as the SKY bubble bursts. In the meantime, you either pay market rates, get lucky with an obscure cheapo foreign import or you get progressively less competitive. Them's the rules.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This thread between BG and myself was about signing a striker such as Rhodes - Your post in response to mine went slightly off topic by stating we didn't plug the gap in our squad.

The gap in our squad was at full back position and it occurred due to an excessive injury list to our full backs. It occurred when the transfer window was closed and found it difficult to address - Thats the period which cost us points. We addressed it when we could with Ridgwell and our form picked up again immediately after that and we picked up more points than Middlesbrough after that.

These are the facts - End of Argument

There can be no disputing that but I thought that this thread was about what will cost us this season not last and on the face of it it seems the lack of that 4th striker, a fox in the box to snap up loose balls and chances that fall in the 6yd box. will be the killer. Hopefully we can stay in touch, as we are now, until the window re opens in January and with the past windows behind may be in a better position to address the problem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is cr@p... neither of those squads were even close... we are so very close to having a top 2 squad...

Not to mention the fact nobody is demanding a 'record signing' (although by their very nature they will be).
Nobody is talking about a squad players.
No one wants the scatter gun Derby approach.

1 specific player, is required for 1 specific position.
A position that has been needed to be filled for well over 12 months.

A 12+ month period which has seen the club do a fantastic job in recruiting all the other players needed to make that one final position work.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Again, show me where I mentioned money CJ... then you may have a point...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh OK, sorry I'm clearly mixing you up with someone else. So difficult chatting anonymously with people you don't know (is my excuse :))
I agree that we need another striker as back up to replace Wilson. I just don't want to jump to conclusions as to why that hasn't happened as it could be any number of things. I also just don't feel the alienation necessary to criticize the club in this way. I have to pinch myself that this is the same footy team as the one I have followed for decades.

Fair enough... but, this mythical new striker needs to REPLACE Sam B in the 1st team, with Sam B at last being benched after season's of demonstrating his inability at our level...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here