Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What were we value for today?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Just a bit depressing that we can’t even hold a flame to the big teams. We’re defeated before we go out. Wonder how much is lack of ability versus tactics and mindset. I thought we’d upset at least 1 of the glamour sides Home or away but weren’t not even close.

I was discussing this with my mate on the way home and I'm surprised we haven't got at least one draw out of the 6 games against the top teams, but we honestly haven't been close in any of them. I think it is tactics, as the players never look like they've been told to have a go and the team selection shows that we have the next game against a beatable team in mind.

Now, having said that, I am still a big Hughton fan and generally he is doing fine, but I do hope that we make a better show in at least one of the return fixtures with the top 6. Particularly if we can amass enough points to survive before the late fixtures against Spurs, Man U and Liverpool, that might allow us to have a proper go at one or more of them.

We can live in hope!

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Hughton: “Over the 90 minutes I think we were value for something - I'm not talking about points, I'm talking about really participating in this game.”

In other news, I think we all know the answer to this bit:

"We need to figure a way of getting the goals we need. We're very conscious of the division we're in. What we will do is work as hard as we can coming up in January to strengthen the squad in areas that can strengthen us.”

Apart from Bozzer classic click bait, I thought that the fans were good value, schelotto looked better and we held our own for 45 and a half minutes against last season's champions with a number of second string players.

Just enjoy the ride. I had a good day out

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Fed up listening to the same after match comments . Up against quality opposition blah blah blah if u don’t try and win any game then u deserve all u get today was nothing and deserved nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Was only able to have half an eye on it but seemed to me that the first half was an improvement on some of the games against the 'bigger' clubs. Defended well and got higher up the pitch - was looking reasonable at half-time, despite the predictable scares. Then chuck it away straight after the break, putting no pressure on Azpilicueta before his delivery and leaving Morata unmarked. Bit of a waste of all that effort.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a bit depressing that we can’t even hold a flame to the big teams. We’re defeated before we go out. Wonder how much is lack of ability versus tactics and mindset. I thought we’d upset at least 1 of the glamour sides Home or away but weren’t not even close to. Just so boringly defensive. It’s all about finishing 17th. Thank you Sky. So glad we’re back in the top flight. Least the Cups meant something last time around but no one wants to win them these days. All about finishing with the biggest cheque. Maybe they should change the trophies to something resembling the Blankety Blank cheque book and pen?

And your strapline is 'never miss a good chance to shut up'? I think you just put one over the bar :laugh:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'm surprised we haven't got at least one draw out of the 6 games against the top teams, but we honestly haven't been close in any of them.

But for a very flukey deflected goal we would have got a draw at Old Trafford.

I don't think it's our ultimate goal to be ultra defensive, but Chris is just playing the best system he knows to get the most points with the squad he has got. We all know that he wanted extra striking options, but for whatever reason that wasn't to be. However, after the January reinforcements arrive, I expect us to play a more expansive game versus all teams, including the 'big' ones.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We lost 0-2 when I guessed we would lose 0-3 so that value I guess. Maybe. A little.

More value would have been giving Baldock a c20 min run out at the end. What had this guy done not to get time on t(e pitch?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If the score was 7-0, no one would have complained. Completely outplayed.

We can pass it around nicely between the back six, that's about it.

Knockaert and kayal played well though. A 100m striker would have made no difference as we couldn't get the ball out of our own half haha.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We might as well of not turned up and saved us all a few quid. The premier league is so divided that these games are pointless. Not sure what the penalty is for not showing up but I’m beginning to think it might be worth it. Lots of energy expended for completely no point at all.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And your strapline is 'never miss a good chance to shut up'? I think you just put one over the bar :laugh:

Well, Christmas is all but over, it’s absolutely peeing down, a filthy night outside Harry, we’ve lost without scoring again and Max Brannings got away with murder. Collectively these amount to several minutes of quality moaning!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A one hour walk each way to the ground, is that value ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We might as well of not turned up and saved us all a few quid. The premier league is so divided that these games are pointless. Not sure what the penalty is for not showing up but I’m beginning to think it might be worth it. Lots of energy expended for completely no point at all.

Giraffe has put it far better than I. It’s just so depressing, in old days newly promoted teams could and did stand a chance. These days 2-0 defeats are the new victories. Sooner top 5 feck off and form the Super Greed League the better in my view. Maybe football can get back to, you know, being a sport.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, Christmas is all but over, it’s absolutely peeing down, a filthy night outside Harry, we’ve lost without scoring again and Max Brannings got away with murder. Collectively these amount to several minutes of quality moaning!

All but over? Thre are twelve days of Christmas, matey, and I've had only two. I intend to squeeze all the juice out of this :O:xmas:punk::smokin::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Giraffe has put it far better than I. It’s just so depressing, in old days newly promoted teams could and did stand a chance. These days 2-0 defeats are the new victories. Sooner top 5 feck off and form the Super Greed League the better in my view. Maybe football can get back to, you know, being a sport.

Oh dear. The First World problems of supporters of fair-to-middling newly hatched premier league football clubs. :shootself:facepalm::lolol:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We held our own and had a few good forays forward in the first half. Unfortunately Hemed didn’t have the pace to break on the counter. Don’t get me wrong, I admire Hemed and think he’s a decent player but as 99.99% of Albion fans know, we are a yard slow up front. Jose got free a few times in the first half and tried to put Hemed through, but he lost the race each time. Chelsea had a 20 min spell and game over. We can’t really threaten on the counter without pace up front.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Take out "Kante" and "Hazard" and Chelsea were nothing special. Dunk as usual shone apart from them,IMO no one shone no one let the side down. Bring on Newcastle where we`d hope for a point and then three next monday !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here