Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What went wrong for the Derby game?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Derby were such a strong, well-organised unit that we just could not get in behind them and so resorted to pumping high balls towards the box, which was just meat and drink for Carson and their two CB's. They totally snuffed us out, and always looked a threat on the break.

I'm scared we'll see similar on Saturday to be honest. Boro have the best defence in the division, and they don't need to win. We're going to have to do something very special to pull this off.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Knocy free kick was in all the way. Keeper didn't even go for it. Don't know if the defender decided to back away from the wall or not to clear, otherwise it coud have been a routine win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Knocy free kick was in all the way. Keeper didn't even go for it. Don't know if the defender decided to back away from the wall or not to clear, otherwise it coud have been a routine win.

It was just a genius piece of defending, probably an idea hatched after seeing Knocky score with a free kick from an identical position against QPR.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think this was superb training ground preparation. They saw Knocky's freekick against QPR, if you watch the replay that player was never actually in the wall, he was stood behind it specifically to run backwards as the kicker approached the ball to cover the wall side of the goal. After watching it a couple of times, I'm convinced that was premeditated solely for a Knocky free kick. Great defending, and well worked out by their coaching staff.

edit - what [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] said just before me!

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Looked to me that Baldock followed the ball in and the defender went with him and happened to find himself in the right position to nod the ball over the bar. Certainly looked as if it was going in before that intervention.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It was just a genius piece of defending, probably an idea hatched after seeing Knocky score with a free kick from an identical position against QPR.

I think this was superb training ground preparation. They saw Knocky's freekick against QPR, if you watch the replay that player was never actually in the wall, he was stood behind it specifically to run backwards as the kicker approached the ball to cover the wall side of the goal. After watching it a couple of times, I'm convinced that was premeditated solely for a Knocky free kick. Great defending, and well worked out by their coaching staff.

edit - what [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] said just before me!

Agreed - an excellent bit of defending. That said, if AK had delivered the pace and height of the QPR free kick, he would never have got his head to it. He'd have had to watch it sail past him, or handball it - either of which would probably have seen us win the game.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
After easy wins against QPR and Fulham we came up against a top six side. I thought we won the first half and they edged the second half.
I felt our full backs didn't push on as much as usual and Baldock dropped into midfield more to assist, this slowed our attacks down.
Derby were a good side as are we and this cancelled each other out. It was a good contest.
All in the past, concentrate on Boro.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nothing went wrong. It's called football. It happens.

Had Knockaert's free kick gone in, then it would have been an entirely different game, I have no doubt. Then everyone would be buzzing.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Although I agree with most of the other posts about Derby being a good side etc we were still flat if we had played at our best it could have been different.
9 days is a long time to wait for a very big game against a very good side who were not under the same pressure as us, players just want to get out and play, it must have seemed like an eternity and that can be very sapping, even the end of season awards can take affect on the mind, it's all a psychological thing.
I think they were angry with the performance and just want to get a out and play again and put it right only this time they only have to wait 5 days. It's going to be tough but I am hoping that they will come out with a determination to play a lot better .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
After easy wins against QPR and Fulham we came up against a top six side. I thought we won the first half and they edged the second half.
I felt our full backs didn't push on as much as usual and Baldock dropped into midfield more to assist, this slowed our attacks down.
Derby were a good side as are we and this cancelled each other out. It was a good contest.
All in the past, concentrate on Boro.

Funny you say that about Baldock. I thought he was key to our attacking success in the first half. It was his movement between the lines that picked up space and knitted together our better moves. He creates space for Hemed behind him and is extremely difficult for defenders to pick up. Once he picked up his knock, then went off, I actually thought this was the turning point in the game. Wilson and Hemed both want to be on the shoulder of the last defender, they're too square when they play together, and that is when I felt our midfield started to lose the battle in midfield second half because as you say he does drop in whereas neither Hemed or Wilson do.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Derby it has to be said had a very good game plan. Much like Fulham and to a lesser extent QPR they had decent possession in their own half but unlike the other two teams they had in Thorne a player who nothing got past all game and in Hughes a player who can find a pass in between the lines. As much as we pressured him he didn't look phased.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Simple we came up against a team with 2 brick s...houses at CB who completely dominated our front men and had good games. It happens.

This just wasn't true. Hemed won more in the air than he usually does. Then he lost it. If anything the central defence pairing of Derby is their only weak point and it will be harder against Boro and Wednesday.

If anything the Albion fault lies in players giving the ball away, Knockaert in his eagerness to get forward, Baldock as usual and Beram Kayal.

But most of all, all things being equal 4-3-3 is better tactics and shape to play.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I thought our first half was ok, we created chances which in the past weeks have gone in. Kayal is our player of the season because of his midfield work, Hughes (like him or not, he is quality) and their midfield totally snuffed out his influence in the 2nd half so we changed our playing style and that didnt click.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Defender was covering the post from the wall,dropped of at the right time and saved a certain goal,game changer.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
30k flag flapping home fans DEMANDING promotion and a flagging manager

Pray explain that little bit of your diatribe - are you palarse undercover :moo:

What needs explaining?

- Boro have told fans to arrive early to start flapping away their free flags
- Their fans are expecting an auto spot and will be demanding it saturday throughout
- Their manager is a f**king mess and is flagging by the looks of him and recent interviews

Is that clearer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here