What we learned today.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No I am not because he has shown that he is capable of making the step up amd other than Hall the rest didnt look as if they could even against non league opposition. I was just generally disappointed with the overall team performance it was if most didnt care.

Have to say, I don't disagree with this. I don't see Rodgers, Kasim, Agdestein or Sampayo ever becoming established here. Hall and JFC are capable and will be involved for a few years now I think, both look good prospects but the rest looked liked decent individuals but there wasn't anything special about them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No I am not because he has shown that he is capable of making the step up amd other than Hall the rest didnt look as if they could even against non league opposition. I was just generally disappointed with the overall team performance it was if most didnt care.

Non-league at the top of conference level is pretty much league level nowadays. With the influx of foreign talent, the knock on effect has been positive for non-league football (other than gate receipts).

Do you think Wrexham looked like non-league cloggers?

According to you, JFC has shown he is capable of making the step up, after less than 4 hours of football. You are judging the others on less than 90 minutes of football.

For what it is worth, I thought we were pretty decent at times, but we were let down by a lack of cohesion. Hardly surprising. I noticed that the DS players enjoyed and understood each other, but there was a lack of understanding with the senior pros.

I saw a fair amount of last season and Wrexham would not have looked out of place with the teams that visited Withdean. Hardly a time for wrist slitting and bemoaning the future of our club.

What exactly did someone like Kasim or Sampayo do today (or didn't do) that convinced you they won't make it in the long run?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For what it is worth, I thought we were pretty decent at times, but we were let down by a lack of cohesion. Hardly surprising. I noticed that the DS players enjoyed and understood each other, but there was a lack of understanding with the senior pros.

Gus has said he might play the Development Squad in the replay and none of the senior pros, so it will be interesting to see whether your theory holds up ...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We actually looked pretty decent at times and all the kids did ok whilst some where great. What really let us down was the lack of cutting edge up front. Barnes was poor and we needed someone to really get stuck in up there. If CMS had played think we'd have won that easy, but probably wasn't worth the risk.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gus has said he might play the Development Squad in the replay and none of the senior pros, so it will be interesting to see whether your theory holds up ...

Wait until the draw.If it's a Premiership team home or away I would think,suddenly,we'll want to protect the history and integrity of this great competition.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
What I learned?

The kids, as tidy as they were on the ball, were just a fraction too slow in their decision making (JFC aside) today. That they - the young players again - need to work on reading when to press and when to drop off. That when Lua Lua is about to go past his man, getting a player across the front of the keeper and another on the back post is imperative. That when the keeper is 40 yards up the pitch and has shown he's not the best kicker, close him down. The team are far too slow in providing support for the front man on through balls (we knew that already though).

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Thought the exact opposite that other than Hall the rest were generally poor and not even good enough to beat a Conference side so potentially nothing to look forward to for us

Can't agree, and as cliched as it is, they are still all learning their trade. They all play football the right way - they pass and move. Granted it didn't come off but so be it, but at least they all wanted the ball, especially Rodgers when he came on, none of them hid. Thought Toby Adgestien(sp) looked decent, although he clearly only had one foot.....

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Wait until the draw.If it's a Premiership team home or away I would think,suddenly,we'll want to protect the history and integrity of this great competition.

This x 1 million.

I believe that F.A Cup matches should be treated exactly the same as league matches. I don't know when all this contempt started but it's a real shame. If we get beaten in the replay questions should be asked, and the excuse of 'concentrating on the league' should not be enough.

I remember beating Liverpool in th 4th round in 1984. The year they won the League, League Cup and the European Cup.

Liverpool team that day:
Grobbelaar
Neal
Kennedy
Lawrenson
Nicol
Hansen
Robinson
Lee
Rush
Johnston
Souness

Can't see many players rested, can you?

We all remember the result though....

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I don't understand why we don't have players that make forward runs beyond the ball!
All of our players always have their back to goal.
The wrexham goal was down to not tackling 30 yards out.
We backed off!
Tackle them asap.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This x 1 million.

I believe that F.A Cup matches should be treated exactly the same as league matches. I don't know when all this contempt started but it's a real shame. If we get beaten in the replay questions should be asked, and the excuse of 'concentrating on the league' should not be enough.

I remember beating Liverpool in th 4th round in 1984. The year they won the League, League Cup and the European Cup.

Liverpool team that day:
Grobbelaar
Neal
Kennedy
Lawrenson
Nicol
Hansen
Robinson
Lee
Rush
Johnston
Souness

Can't see many players rested, can you?

We all remember the result though....

Its oft forgotten that Liverpool used about 16 players for that season of about 60 matches. However, the pace of the game plus all the need to maintain league status/top four finishes for Europe/Top six for play-offs etc means the demands are so high that you have to rotate and rest players. Gus would be pilloried if he failed to put out his strongest team against Palace so, when EVERY league game is so important when do the youngsters play ?

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Its oft forgotten that Liverpool used about 16 players for that season of about 60 matches. However, the pace of the game plus all the need to maintain league status/top four finishes for Europe/Top six for play-offs etc means the demands are so high that you have to rotate and rest players. Gus would be pilloried if he failed to put out his strongest team against Palace so, when EVERY league game is so important when do the youngsters play ?

There are team logistics to be considered, yes. I have advocated the removal of replays in the F A Cup as a help. I think it would bring back some interest. Just 3 games to the Quarter Final, 5 for Wembley.
However, I do feel that an F A Cup game should have the foremost consideration as a win, and nothing else. That is not to say the youngsters can't make an impact though-they should be mixed in there.
I hope I am wrong, but I feel Wrexham may be slight favourites now. As people have seen, they are no mugs. And if we are going to make further changes, that will only fuel my belief.
On the plus side though, it is good to see young talent taking their chance, it makes us feel good about the squads depth.
If we lose the replay though, only poor performance should be an acceptable verdict. The match should not be taken lightly.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I put this on another thread but what happened today was far better than losing 1-0 to Mansfield who were at the bottom of League Two at the time. Results like this often happen on 3rd round day which is why everyone talks about the magic of the FA cup. Lower opposition up their game for the 90 minutes and banana skins happen. We didn't lose today and are still in the draw. Thankfully Palace were knocked out or else we'd have their vermin all over us like a rash tonight.

it was at home to mansfield and we lost 2-1

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some people like watching the younger players given a chance. I enjoyed today, and if we beat Wrexham I will go in the 4th round if we got a home game against lower league opposition

Well said, it was an enjoyble, open game of football, and it was nice to see that we do have some promising youngsters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports