Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was up with those substitutions?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ok so maybe Gus not being there had something to do with it but the exact same set of subs has been made enough times that why on earth the 2 men down there decided bringing off our best striker and goal scorer for our very worst was bizarre, especially with Holroyd, young fast and hungry also on the bench, the fact we didnt see him was also absurd. We just didnt chase the game at all towards the end because of the lck of sensible subs.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Yes it did seem a really bad decision. Cox for Dicker to get service to the two forwards would have been good, Holroyd maybe to put 3 up front, again for Dicker. I couldn't see any reason for taking off a goalscorer when we needed to score.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My theory is that Muzza was subbed to avoid him getting a 2nd yellow which could be disastrous if Fozzy is out of the first team squad.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The only reason I can think of for taking off murray was to avoid him picking up a 2nd yellow and a suspension.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
yes perhaps but thats one of at least 3 bizaare decisions, serb carole was also warming up ahead of cox which i consider a joke decision

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
JOKE of a decision.

Took all our momentum away.

Throw in the fact that in stoppage time we played "keep ball" and tried to run down the track.

After a brilliant first 3/4's of the game, it was like being back under Wilkins. Negative, negative, negative. :nono:

just in fashion new

Dec 23, 2008
Eastbourne
did you not see that murray was really struggling after an hour. he was having trouble keeping up with the game. i cant believe none of you noticed notice this !! we dont know if he had a cold/flu during the week but he was really struggling. sometimes its not the manager wanting to make changes

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I Think we settled for the point from the time their goal went in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
did you not see that murray was really struggling after an hour. he was having trouble keeping up with the game. i cant believe none of you noticed notice this !! we dont know if he had a cold/flu during the week but he was really struggling. sometimes its not the manager wanting to make changes

Doesn't explain why they brought on Hart instead of holroyd.

I suspect they thought Dickinson and Hart have more experience as a pairing and would therefore be a better option (assuming they play together in reserves, or in training matches, whereas holroyd is rotated with Forster and Murray).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Did not agree with bringing on Hart who did absolutely nothing when he came on. Would have preferred Holdroyd to try to outrun their tiring defence.

Hart will never do anything useful now. Sadly, he is well past it. Why Poyet can't see that is a mystery to me.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hart will never do anything useful now. Sadly, he is well past it. Why Poyet can't see that is a mystery to me.

Has hart actually played in the first team in a serious game under poyet though? I dont blame poyet for those subs, but i wander why tarricco decided to not go for the norm of one defender off for cox and one midfielder off for a striker going 4-3-3 which has created us a lot of chances under poyet and we have at least chased the game, also time to get rid of hart asap he is well past it and we had a very eager young player sitting on the bench doing nothing yesterday when he should have been on the pitch.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It may not have worked but I was glad to Hart coming on. I was hoping he was going to cause a bit of trouble as four of their players were on yellow cards. By that part of the game the terrible pitch had all but stopped any free flowing passing game from either side.

Haven't seen it mentioned on here but the playing surface was awful.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It may not have worked but I was glad to Hart coming on. I was hoping he was going to cause a bit of trouble as four of their players were on yellow cards. By that part of the game the terrible pitch had all but stopped any free flowing passing game from either side.

Holroyd is infinitely faster than Hart, and judging by his 16odd goals this season has a knack of finding the net, when did hart last score for us?

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC

Really? I was disappointed to see Hart come on. He took off the striker most likely to score a winner and replaced him with the striker least likely to score! We don't know a great deal about Holroyd, apart from the fact he's quick. I have no doubts what so ever that a striker, new to the club, with something to prove, with fresh legs AND pace would have troubled the Orient defence a million times more than Gary Hart. I love Gary, but it was a strange substitution. Tactically very negative and did us no favours in terms of trying to win the game...which we should have done!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree with both posts above. My point really being that I was glad to see him coming on because I like to be entertained and if that involves a sending off do be it. That ref was so bad together anything could have
happened.

Murray had disappeared at that point and wasn't he on a yellow ? With the Forster situation probably best to get him off, in view of that refs performance.

Would have been good to see the new lad.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

I was glad to see Hart on too. And he didn't do too badly (apart from giving away a couple of fouls).

Problem was, he came on for Murray. All our creative play involved him and Bennett. Taking one of them off was suicide. Dickinson was absolutely ABYSMAL in the second half, and somehow remained on the pitch.

Disgusting decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here