[Albion] What was the worst ref decision today?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of today’s decisions was the worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Mitoma penalty.

Every pundit and commentator called it live with the same access to replays that VAR had.

Even they knew it was a penalty, but with the ridiculous politicisation (clear and obvious) of defending their own it exposes VAR to be the sham that it is.

How on earth the technology is being used (even in part) to defend the reputation of referees rather than simply being an extension of the referee is beyond comprehension.
There was a big debate after VAR was introduced about its role. In the early days it was used to effectively re-referee the game which created a lot of controversy over subjective decision making. That is why lighter touch VAR is now the methodology. That is the reason we have what we have. It is not a politicization or the referees union defending their own. Rather it is acceptance that VAR was only ever intended to correct perceived big on-field mistakes. I think we now have the better version of the two but neither is an improvement on no VAR. Defenders of the technology usually blame the people working it but they never come up with suggestions as to who should do so and the reason is that it is not possible to referee a game without someone taking a view. Tampering with that concept has created the shitshow we have today where a lower league non VAR game is actually a better day out than one at the top level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Defenders of the technology usually blame the people working it but they never come up with suggestions as to who should do so and the reason is that it is not possible to referee a game without someone taking a view. Tampering with that concept has created the shitshow we have today where a lower league non VAR game is actually a better day out than one at the top level.
Plenty have mentioned the Euros and World Cup as good examples. Do you know of numerous controversial incidents every round of champions league games?

It’s only here do we have controversy on a weekly basis.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really cannot choose any one over any other, it was a terrible display from the referee, linesmen and VAR

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So who do you want to operate it ?
Better operatives.

We have foreign owners, managers, coaches - why not get the best referees in the world given all the money we have ?

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It's hard to say which was the worst of the decisions but for me Mitomas disallowed goal was hard to take. Not only did the ball clearly hit him on his shoulder above the t-shirt line, but he also got a two-handed shove in the back. Without the shove Mitoma would have been in a position to chest the ball down before slotting home; why didn't the ref take this into consideration?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Better operatives.

We have foreign owners, managers, coaches - why not get the best referees in the world given all the money we have ?
Who exactly though ? Are they available? Would you relocate them from totally honest footballing countries like err…Italy ? Perhaps these things should have been sorted out before VAR was foisted on us in the first place ?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The worst was Mitoma's goal not being given. Contact with the ball is clearly on the chest/upper arm - the 't-shirt sleeve' rule. To rule out that goal was disgraceful.
Agree.

Darren Cann pointed to his sleeve (the legal bit) when flagging.

He's supposed to be an experienced lino who has represented us at World Cups and Champions League.

Is he Palace or something?

Oh!

Screenshot 2023-04-09 08.34.06.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who exactly though ? Are they available? Would you relocate them from totally honest footballing countries like err…Italy ? Perhaps these things should have been sorted out before VAR was foisted on us in the first place ?
We have 1 foreign referee / VAR in the league at the moment. Statistically I’m sure they could cherry pick some of they tried to.

We will have bigger issues soon with the amount of grass roots refs dropping out, slowing sign up rates, the talent pool available in 5-10 year time will be even smaller.

And also apart from the ‘select group’ of referees, the rest are part time (basically championship and below) - so it’s a terrible system to get to the top as how many people have a job flexible enough that let’s them travel all over England Saturday / Tuesday etc..

Whole system is broken and does not match the elite mentality in our professional leagues

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Was fuming at the failure to give a red to Perisic as it was right in front of me. Have now watched the highlights the Mitoma non pen is a scandalous decision.
Throw in that they have still not shown a reply of the ball hitting Mac’s hand and someone should get the sack

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We have 1 foreign referee / VAR in the league at the moment. Statistically I’m sure they could cherry pick some of they tried to.

We will have bigger issues soon with the amount of grass roots refs dropping out, slowing sign up rates, the talent pool available in 5-10 year time will be even smaller.

And also apart from the ‘select group’ of referees, the rest are part time (basically championship and below) - so it’s a terrible system to get to the top as how many people have a job flexible enough that let’s them travel all over England Saturday / Tuesday etc..

Whole system is broken and does not match the elite mentality in our professional leagues
I don’t disagree with your summary, particularly the bleak future ahead. I think in large part though it comes from the dissection of games at the top level by fans and pundits. That’s all anyone wants to talk about and it’s getting worse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mitoma goal not given on field. VAR not clear and obvious to rule it a goal.

Welbeck goal given on field. VAR finds something that is not clear and obvious to rule it out.

Brentford get a pen that VAR spend 3mins reviewing to ask Kavanagh to give it and it’s probably not a pen. VAR doesn’t even appear to review the Mitoma and Dunk pens.

What on earth are we witnessing?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Agree.

Darren Cann pointed to his sleeve (the legal bit) when flagging.

He's supposed to be an experienced lino who has represented us at World Cups and Champions League.

Is he Palace or something?

Oh!

View attachment 159459
Unbelievable!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Mitoma goal not given on field. VAR not clear and obvious to rule it a goal.

Welbeck goal given on field. VAR finds something that is not clear and obvious to rule it out.

Brentford get a pen that VAR spend 3mins reviewing to ask Kavanagh to give it and it’s probably not a pen. VAR doesn’t even appear to review the Mitoma and Dunk pens.

What on earth are we witnessing?
I think that's the issue - in theory I've no issue if VAR takes a light touch but then it has to do it all the time. 30 seconds max for them to look at it - that would probably have meant Mitoma's first still being ruled out, Welbeck's goal standing and Mitoma getting a penalty but perhaps not Dunk. The Brentford one was ridiculous- if it takes 3 minutes it can't possibly be clear and obvious. It's the total inconsistency in it's application that is so maddening. We all know offsides are NOT a matter of fact as Dermot is so keen to say so again 30 seconds max to take a look using thick lines - if it's an obvious error then intervene otherwise bugger off.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Voted Mitoma pen.
But that shouldn’t detract from the others which were all valid.
Disgrace

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that's the issue - in theory I've no issue if VAR takes a light touch but then it has to do it all the time. 30 seconds max for them to look at it - that would probably have meant Mitoma's first still being ruled out, Welbeck's goal standing and Mitoma getting a penalty but perhaps not Dunk. The Brentford one was ridiculous- if it takes 3 minutes it can't possibly be clear and obvious. It's the total inconsistency in it's application that is so maddening. We all know offsides are NOT a matter of fact as Dermot is so keen to say so again 30 seconds max to take a look using thick lines - if it's an obvious error then intervene otherwise bugger off.
Agree. I just don't see how the official at VAR reviewing the MacAlister deflection can be certain it has hit his hand - if he's just a little bit 'may have hit is hand' 'probably hit is hand' it has to stay a goal because it they have to be certain to rule out onfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports