Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
A Brighton pub now converted into flats. Can you name this one?

NWf8ITd.jpg

London Unity?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's the Park Crescent.

Nice pub but naff beer sadly

You're right. Can't comment on the beer as I don't go in there often enough. I was trying to find old photos of either The Squid And Starfish, The George Beard or the Greyhound but there's none on the net. Easy peasy but what are those pubs all now called?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Admiral Napier

Thanks, so the Admiral Napier was a five minute walk from the Sir Charles Napier then!

We don't half have a lot of pubs and former pubs named after or associated with admirals:

The Lord Nelson
The Admiral
The Sir Charles Napier
The Victory
The Battle of Trafalgar
Horatios

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You're right. Can't comment on the beer as I don't go in there often enough. I was trying to find old photos of either The Squid And Starfish, The George Beard or the Greyhound but there's none on the net. Easy peasy but what are those pubs all now called?

The George Beard, is that now called The Eagle?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The George Beard, is that now called The Eagle?

Yup. I think previously it was a crusty's pub but they got pushed over to the Kensington in Kensington Gardens when Schnews and the Levellers really kicked off and then the George Beard became a very quiet couple's pub. A bit like the William IV and what was the Greyhound where on more than one occasion I saw couples in his and her matching jackets.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yup. I think previously it was a crusty's pub but they got pushed over to the Kensington in Kensington Gardens when Schnews and the Levellers really kicked off and then the George Beard became a very quiet couple's pub. A bit like the William IV and what was the Greyhound where on more than one occasion I saw couples in his and her matching jackets.

I had forgotten all about the George Beard, but as soon as I saw the name it reminded me of a mate that I drink with sometimes.
He seemed to like that pub when it was the GB.
Was it previously called the Eagle before?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I had forgotten all about the George Beard, but as soon as I saw the name it reminded me of a mate that I drink with sometimes.
He seemed to like that pub when it was the GB.
Was it previously called the Eagle before?

That I don't know. I came to Brighton in 96 ish and it was the GB then. Around the same time another pub, The Volunteer, got renamed and became THE pub to go to on a Friday night.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
PG? I don't think so but not sure what those initials stand for.

A clue for you: It had a jukebox on the wall on the right hand side as you entered the pub.

It was The Castle, PGs (landlord Paul Gasson) and now the Pull and Pump in Clarence Gardens.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I haven't got the book but it sounds interesting. The pub that was the Volunteer is very near where the old barracks used to be near the library.

Good book, some great photos in there. It came out last year.

You have lost me with The Volunteer, the only barracks I know was Lewes Rd ( Preston Barracks) near Mithras House.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good book, some great photos in there. It came out last year.

You have lost me with The Volunteer, the only barracks I know was Lewes Rd ( Preston Barracks) near Mithras House.

The street name is a giveaway.

volunteer4.jpg

The last remnants of the barracks behind the library and where the Prince Regent swimming pool is now, are some marble decorations inlaid in the pavement as you go north towards North Road. I think it might be a regimental emblem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here