Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What to do about antisocial behaviour?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I don't have mates like that I'm afraid.

I can't move at the moment due to no income.

Guess I'm ****ed. Best just stay indoors and open the whisky before noon then.

On further reflection, going to their landlord with support from the girl in your block would be a good first step. He may decide to resolve it without you having to go down the police/legal route.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wasn't a joke at all, no.

I will try to talk to the others, one girl obviously knows about it and one was told about it (not interested) and one old dude is totally oblivious (really is the best way I).

The more people who get involved the better. It shows that the problem is affecting more than just you. I can't imagine they are particularly popular in their own block and I'd be surprised if their landlord hasn't already had complaints. More chance of incidents being recorded and more chance of the police listening.

If you are not planning to move for at least a couple of years, then there's a good chance that you can have them gone before you. Good luck :thumbsup:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't know who the landlord is. It's a council block and most are still council but a few are private. How do you find out who the landlord is?

Also, I'm concerned talking to the other 3 in my block because they then may want it more official.

I'm just so unsure what to do really. But i do appreciate the replies. Even though they have made me even more wary and more do-nothing :D

I feel like such a pussy. Being bullied really by probably a 16 year old (who I can't remember the face of having only seen properly once) and probably a 18-20 yo who I've never really seen, when you're nearly 50. Feels pathetic.

In my teens i had a few fights (never started one in my life but they never really bothered me if i got in one). Then i got jumped on from behind when walking away from yet another dickhead trying to start on the tall bloke. After 2 detached retinas from kicks to my head i lost a lot of confidence. Otherwise i would really go up to their door again.

With my luck, they're probably on here.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
btw - this delcaration about neighbours when moving. I havent' moved for 14 years now so i can't remember. Does anyone knwo what exactly you declare? is it time limited? ie if the problem went away in next few months would i have to declare it in 12 or 18 months? And how legally enforceable is it?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If it's a council block then they will have a behaviour agreement in place. Contact the council to complain every single time it happens (an arse I know) but then the council will, eventually, bring it to a head where they risk eviction for breaching the covenant. Long, stupid process but eventually gets them moved out/moved on or they at least stop.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What a shocking situation to be in [MENTION=12517]herecomesaregular[/MENTION]

I really do feel for you. The other residents and yourself need to evict these evil scumbags. You shouldn't have to be subjected to all that abuse. But now you've confronted them, they'll try and think of other unpleasant things to do. It sounds to me like they're illicit heavy drug users (I may well be wrong here) which in turn makes THEM paranoid. You need to act fast and get the help from police. Everything they have done, you need to write down and be supported by your fellow residents.

Please don't start drinking because that is not the answer. I'm sorry I really can't be much help as I've never had these terrible problems with neighbours or in a block of flats.

Good luck to you. I hope your quality of life improves.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wasn't a joke at all, no.

I will try to talk to the others, one girl obviously knows about it and one was told about it (not interested) and one old dude is totally oblivious (really is the best way I).

In which case please don't resort to drink, it won't help and will most likely exacerbate things and may lead to further problems which will still be there whenever this current one is solved.

I really would think about speaking to at least the girl who has also experienced the anti social behaviour. Between you you can work out a course of action or just by talking with her and knowing it's a shared situation might help ease any anxiety you are feeling. A problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
btw - this delcaration about neighbours when moving. I havent' moved for 14 years now so i can't remember. Does anyone knwo what exactly you declare? is it time limited? ie if the problem went away in next few months would i have to declare it in 12 or 18 months? And how legally enforceable is it?

On the Property Information form TA6, when selling, you need to declare any disputes with neighbours.

It's all a bit subjective as to what constitutes a dispute, but if you have spoken to any official body about it, you certainly should be detailing it. If you haven't, then you may be able to get away without disclosing it.

There's a sample form here: https://prdsitecore93.azureedge.net...75608ee&hash=63D7575464B74EDA1AF8E8979DCB0A1F and explanatory notes here: https://prdsitecore93.azureedge.net...0ad8515&hash=E42E903CFF48A7CCCB0F9B1671E894B2

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
On the Property Information form TA6, when selling, you need to declare any disputes with neighbours.

It's all a bit subjective as to what constitutes a dispute, but if you have spoken to any official body about it, you certainly should be detailing it. If you haven't, then you may be able to get away without disclosing it.

There's a sample form here: https://prdsitecore93.azureedge.net...75608ee&hash=63D7575464B74EDA1AF8E8979DCB0A1F and explanatory notes here: https://prdsitecore93.azureedge.net...0ad8515&hash=E42E903CFF48A7CCCB0F9B1671E894B2

Thanks Bozza. Will have a look a bit later. i need a walk although it of ocurse means going outside...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One thing you should absolutely NOT do, is get involved in any direct confrontation with them. Don’t ‘get a couple of big mates’ involved, as suggested earlier.

These people are scum. They move in scum circles. They will have bigger, scummier mates than you, and it could only end badly.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Waving their cocks out of the window takes it to a whole different level, put word about that you have a couple of nonces as neighbours - pretty sure someone will pay them a visit !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing you should absolutely NOT do, is get involved in any direct confrontation with them. Don’t ‘get a couple of big mates’ involved, as suggested earlier.

These people are scum. They move in scum circles. They will have bigger, scummier mates than you, and it could only end badly.

Wise words

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’ve had experience with this with a friend in a block who has had very little support from the police. I won’t go in to details but the harassment is both verbal and physical, has elements of being race related, and has been recorded multiple times both in terms of physical evidence, witnesses and videos etc. There seemed to be an issue with the block moving from being social housing to a combination of supported living style stuff, social housing and privately owned. No one housing group or association appeared to want to take responsibility for their own tenants, homeowners. Although the police were responsive and appeared supportive they were often much closer to reactive than proactive and I don’t think they handled it properly. My friend tried all the above solutions including having our most physically intimidating mates as visible as possible but it all got too much for her. She ended up essentially getting agoraphobia and her mental health was in bits. We ended up getting her out, to a friends for a few months, then somewhere for herself. She’s doing much better now. Anyway, anecdotal stuff, but solidarity with you. I think my take from it all was that actually there’s only so much the authorities can and will do, it can take months/years and although moving might feel like ‘giving in’ and that it’s obviously a massive thing to do, sometimes it’s worth taking this kind of step. People are ******** aren’t they?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Having had a similiar disturbance where I lived first ever . The police took statements the council were contacted and did issue them with a warning letter .
But the police gave the evidence of assault to the cps who ‘forgot’ about it and time elapsed meaning no charge . I’m sorry the truth is the police are not interested in this . Made it clear next time it would be sorted “ locally “ they didn’t give me the impression they we’re that bothered but have kept on file all that went on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

This is absolutely the right answer. Clearly these are scumbags who ENJOY provocation.

The whole ‘meet violence/ASB with greater violence/ASB’ is something that works in the movies.

In real life it will just ramp up the conflict.

Instead avoid them and take your own measures in tackling the abuse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know who the landlord is. It's a council block and most are still council but a few are private. How do you find out who the landlord is?

Also, I'm concerned talking to the other 3 in my block because they then may want it more official.

I'm just so unsure what to do really. But i do appreciate the replies. Even though they have made me even more wary and more do-nothing :D

I feel like such a pussy. Being bullied really by probably a 16 year old (who I can't remember the face of having only seen properly once) and probably a 18-20 yo who I've never really seen, when you're nearly 50. Feels pathetic.

In my teens i had a few fights (never started one in my life but they never really bothered me if i got in one). Then i got jumped on from behind when walking away from yet another dickhead trying to start on the tall bloke. After 2 detached retinas from kicks to my head i lost a lot of confidence. Otherwise i would really go up to their door again.

With my luck, they're probably on here.

Mate, although you probably feel otherwise in your present state of mind, this is not your problem. It's a COMMUNITY problem. Strong coordinated approaches to Police and Council is your community's clear way forward. Police should be hassled into having a word with the scumbags before the cowards lob something out their window that seriously injures someone. And the council has a clear duty to act on reports of anti-social behaviour by their scumbug doubtless tenants. OK, they'll only get moved on to somewhere where they can piss off some other set of decent people. But hopefully somewhere nearer ground level where they can be held more accountable by the community

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Diarise each event, then go to the council and police.

A sign of the times. A not insignificant minority of society don’t give a fck about their community or fellow man. I’ve been picking up deliberate littering on walks around my neck of the woods, plus up towards the Dyke. Very easy to collect large bags of the stuff, people think nothing of throwing plastics, cans, takeaway stuff or fly tipping from home, out of the car.

Good luck btw. Your health comes first.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here