Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Steve Claridge said. This time I tend to agree.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
After what went on in the summer, I am not sure that under-achievement is correct - in my view we are doing well to even be there or thereabouts.

As for signing a decent, experienced striker - obviously someone like that is not going to come cheap - we would have to break our current wage structure to get anyone half decent, certainly from the PL side, I would say. I wonder how much Ravel Morrison is costing QPR, for example? Or how much Kevin Phillips is charging for his services? What impact would that have on the current squad? What would Len think if we bought in someone earning 2 or 3 times his wages? I wonder who we could get from the PL for 10k a week for example? Wilbrahim probably or his level!

Bargains like Len (and Zamora when we signed him) do not come along very often and I am afraid that until such time as wages start coming down significantly and clubs in our division stop gambling on promotion, we are only really in the market for bargains that others have missed. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

I'd go along with that.

For me, getting out of the Championship is little more than a lottery. It's nothing like the Prem and at the beginning of the season there's probably 13 or 14 thinking they could do it. Even with a month to go there's likely to be up to 10 still in with a shout. I'd think the 6 or 7 that miss out can all reflect and say "if only ............"

All we can do is put ourselves in the frame and when the time comes then be ready. I think we've done a good job of it throughout, we're trying to manage to a budget but we'll always be massively disadvantaged vs Parachute clubs + the likes of Forest and others of their type

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
''Missing out on the play-offs would be an under-achievement''.

But we must realise apart from Ulloa we are toothless in attack.

Yes CMS and Hoskins injuries are unfortunate , but we need a Lee Steele / Gary Hart player desperate to do well, not a and untried loanee going through the motions, hoping his parent club might read good reviews.

Albion have no given right to do well or get promoted , but we are appear to be progessing side ways a little or maybe moving backwards , but certainly not forwards.

I don't like be negative and the standard of foorball was great yeaterday, but how come the 7 clubs above us have significantly lower attendances than us, yet are clear of us.

We have 46 points that is by no means a satisfactory haul.

We seem to take three or four steps forward (Birmingham Leeds Doncaster) but then suffer setbacks like yesterday.

How long can the club sustain making multi million signings and not acheiveing the goal that is the Premier League?

And Augustien? This crazy a palyer who could set Ulloa away time after time, a player who can beat a defender, frozen out.

We have all made some sort of sacrifice for Albion to be where they are now however small, getting to the Prem is a sooner rather than later necessity , rather than becoming an Ipswich or a Middlesbrough.

Make hay while the sunshine's, sign a decent,expirienced, striker on loan. Just like other clubs do.

Agree with some of this but to say we are not improving is totally wrong 20 shots on goal yesterday under Gus we were lucky to see 4 with a little more luck and slightly less injuries we would be right up there

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm a little surprised how many thumbs up the op got. I'm perfectly happy with where we are at given a) having a new manager, b) having atrocious injury problems and c) having utterly turd training facilities, unlike all of the teams above us.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
"sticking to FPP" ? - well to some degree yes. but the playing budget went up 46% for 2012/13 and has gone up again this season. (5-10% reportedly). Oscar and Gus both have had reasonable budgets to play with. Also we didn't think Lewis Grabban's wage matched our valuation. Should we not have done that ?

Interesting you mention Grabban, his release clause was £1.1 million pounds and plus we have the wages of Bridcutt, Banes and Barker in the pot. Surely the transfer fee and wages we proposed paying for Grabban we surely never paid for Stephens did we? So surely we still have a large amount of that budget available.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting you mention Grabban, his release clause was £1.1 million pounds and plus we have the wages of Bridcutt, Banes and Barker in the pot. Surely the transfer fee and wages we proposed paying for Grabban we surely never paid for Stephens did we? So surely we still have a large amount of that budget available.

We do have budget available - PB said as much during the week in the Argus Q&A.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I do agree with you about Steve Claridge being a tad bit annoying when it comes to Brighton analysis on the FL show. But when it comes to the Albion, we were reborn when moving to the Amex, and with the new training facilities being developed people are going to be jealous of what 'we' have in relation to other more established clubs, still playing at dated stadiums. Brighton & Oscar are doing well & that's what counts. Sod the rest. :albion2:
Reverting back to the thread's original theme; it's clear to me Claridge enjoys putting the boot into Albion. The Football League Show is an embarrassment. It's very poorly researched (if at all) and comprises two inept, bumbling fools (poorly) analysing a highlights reel. It's way past its sell-by date and the same could be said for Claridge who has proved time and again he hasn't the application or insight to be a pundit. Probably the worst of a crap bunch currently nosing the BBC trough....

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
How can anyone think agustein should play is beyond me, yes he looks good when playing 3 v 3 in a square, but in a match it isn't like a training ground exercise, the opposition will be pressing, tackling and nudging players about. Every time he's played he's been shoved about. Also its a disgrace how a professional footballer is so overweight. The sooner he's gone the better

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"sticking to FPP" ? - well to some degree yes. but the playing budget went up 46% for 2012/13 and has gone up again this season. (5-10% reportedly). Oscar and Gus both have had reasonable budgets to play with. Also we didn't think Lewis Grabban's wage matched our valuation. Should we not have done that ?

He was to be a permanent signing so I wasnt thinking of him more along the lines of Maynard yesterday, Mason,Conway and even possibly Tudgay who has gone to Charlton, not that Forest would have loaned him to us but he could have come home back to Sussex and probably wouldnt have been expensive.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
On The Football League Show, Claridge didn't say ''Missing out on the play-offs would be an under-achievement''. He said he didn't know if missing out on the play-offs this season would be perceived as underachievement by the club. A very different thing. He stated that it was very hard to compare this with last season, for a variety of reasons, but he ultimately thought Garcia had done okay so far with room for improvement.

The two best players, Bridcutt and Ulloa missed a big chunk of the season and there have been various other issues. Albion could easily have won against one of the strongest sides in the division yesterday and remain there or thereabouts even with the defeat.

I think we are doing well with room for improvement. Even Man City and Real Madrid have room for improvement ...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm a little surprised how many thumbs up the op got. I'm perfectly happy with where we are at given a) having a new manager, b) having atrocious injury problems and c) having utterly turd training facilities, unlike all of the teams above us.

I'm surprised.. Especially as the OP misquoted Claridge

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What on earth does crowd attendance have to do with league position?

Very little, other than maybe an extra 1-2m quid income. And throwing money at a squad doesn't guarantee anything: QPR and Forrest aren't looking good for an automatic spot right now, and Blackburn spent big last year with no return.

Besides, any extra we make on ticket sales can easily be matched by the income from a good cup run and/or a number of televised games. Yet people on here still think that tomorrow night's game is an unwanted distraction.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
OP ''Missing out on the play-offs would be an under-achievement''.

Is it? Big rebuilding job after the mess in the summer. Oscar and the coaching staff getting used to new country, new division and way of playing. Also the youngsters we've bedded in. Plus half the squad not being fit for him to assess? Was anyone really expecting us to properly challenge for promotion at the start of this season?

OP - But we must realise apart from Ulloa we are toothless in attack.

I had my doubts on Ulloa recently after his poor form after the injury, however in recent games he's shown that whilst his general performance has been poor he's still managed to score a goal in his last 4 - shows he's a class player. We are unfortunate Hoskins and CMS are out for so long and neither of them will play much even in the next couple of months with getting back to fitness. Just unsure on our attempts to sign a proven striker on loan. Matty Fryatt was the obvious shout in January as he wasn't getting game time at Hull.

OP - Yes CMS and Hoskins injuries are unfortunate , but we need a Lee Steele / Gary Hart player desperate to do well, not a and untried loanee going through the motions, hoping his parent club might read good reviews.

Ashley Barnes. Don't think we ever should of sold him in January, and still don't know. Worked hard, gave his all. Had a decent goalscoring record and helped out defensively/ out wide too. Would it of hurt to be more flexible for his demands and future? I don't think so, instead the wages we could've spent on him have gone to Obika. Hope the fans who helped force him out (his own commments...) are pleased with that. Don't feel we will get any better for the money we could've spent on him and therefore still find that decision ridiculous.

OP - Albion have no given right to do well or get promoted , but we are appear to be progessing side ways a little or maybe moving backwards , but certainly not forwards.

Time. Like in the first comment this is a rebuilding season IMO. Can't expect to move forward every year that's unrealistic. I know people will disagree but our current squad with Barnes is good enough for automatic promotion IMO (assuming we don't have the same injuries as this year). Think we will need to add in the summer now but will be difficult to find bargains.

OP - I don't like be negative and the standard of foorball was great yeaterday, but how come the 7 clubs above us have significantly lower attendances than us, yet are clear of us.

Since when do attendences affect our position in the league table?!

OP - We have 46 points that is by no means a satisfactory haul.

OP - We seem to take three or four steps forward (Birmingham Leeds Doncaster) but then suffer setbacks like yesterday.

Wigan are a decent side? They're the bloody FA Cup holders? They beat Man City last year?! If fans are expecting us to win every game then they're going to be very disappointed...

OP - How long can the club sustain making multi million signings and not acheiveing the goal that is the Premier League?

We have two multi million £ signings in CMS and Ulloa, CMS was a mistake and we overpaid for him. Ulloa is a very good striker. Oscar didn't make either of these signings therefore can't take much responsibility. I also don't see Oscar making any more in the near future. Other teams around us are doing the same and not all of them can make the premier league. We will soon see as FFP comes into action how this pans out.

OP - And Augustien? This crazy a palyer who could set Ulloa away time after time, a player who can beat a defender, frozen out.

Actually agree on this one. Decent player who hasn't been given an opportunity to really show what he can do. If there are differences they need to be sorted out. Not sure how he fits into Oscars plans though.

OP - We have all made some sort of sacrifice for Albion to be where they are now however small, getting to the Prem is a sooner rather than later necessity , rather than becoming an Ipswich or a Middlesbrough.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm enjoying the championship, unpredictable what will happen each game and anyone can beat anyone. Which is the joy in football. It would be boring otherwise.

OP - Make hay while the sunshine's, sign a decent,expirienced, striker on loan. Just like other clubs do.

Overall I don't really agree with many points in your post. And most of our fanbase needs to review their expectations of the club. We're not going to win every game or challenge for the promotion after so much destruction in the summer. We've been very lucky in recent years with promotion and establishing ourselves as a top half championship club. Capable of beating decent Premier League teams in the cup. Look back to a few years ago where we were getting beat at Withdean every week in the rain. And not even the hope of a new stadium. The Championship is competitive and the hardest league to get out of. People need to stop expecting us to thrash everyone every week. Get behind the team and enjoy the ride. Is that not what footballs about?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
**** me:

beaten in the play-offs by our greatest rivals
our iconic manager is dismissed for gross misconduct
a new manager and entire back room staff appointed (late in the close-season)
a frankly ridiculous and crippling injury list
a rigid commitment to run our football club in a sustainable fashion irrespective of FFP

Some of this is self-inflicted but many clubs could (and have) been relegated after so much upheaval.

OP ''Missing out on the play-offs would be an under-achievement''.

Is it? Big rebuilding job after the mess in the summer. Oscar and the coaching staff getting used to new country, new division and way of playing. Also the youngsters we've bedded in. Plus half the squad not being fit for him to assess? Was anyone really expecting us to properly challenge for promotion at the start of this season?

OP - But we must realise apart from Ulloa we are toothless in attack.

I had my doubts on Ulloa recently after his poor form after the injury, however in recent games he's shown that whilst his general performance has been poor he's still managed to score a goal in his last 4 - shows he's a class player. We are unfortunate Hoskins and CMS are out for so long and neither of them will play much even in the next couple of months with getting back to fitness. Just unsure on our attempts to sign a proven striker on loan. Matty Fryatt was the obvious shout in January as he wasn't getting game time at Hull.

OP - Yes CMS and Hoskins injuries are unfortunate , but we need a Lee Steele / Gary Hart player desperate to do well, not a and untried loanee going through the motions, hoping his parent club might read good reviews.

Ashley Barnes. Don't think we ever should of sold him in January, and still don't know. Worked hard, gave his all. Had a decent goalscoring record and helped out defensively/ out wide too. Would it of hurt to be more flexible for his demands and future? I don't think so, instead the wages we could've spent on him have gone to Obika. Hope the fans who helped force him out (his own commments...) are pleased with that. Don't feel we will get any better for the money we could've spent on him and therefore still find that decision ridiculous.

OP - Albion have no given right to do well or get promoted , but we are appear to be progessing side ways a little or maybe moving backwards , but certainly not forwards.

Time. Like in the first comment this is a rebuilding season IMO. Can't expect to move forward every year that's unrealistic. I know people will disagree but our current squad with Barnes is good enough for automatic promotion IMO (assuming we don't have the same injuries as this year). Think we will need to add in the summer now but will be difficult to find bargains.

OP - I don't like be negative and the standard of foorball was great yeaterday, but how come the 7 clubs above us have significantly lower attendances than us, yet are clear of us.

Since when do attendences affect our position in the league table?!

OP - We have 46 points that is by no means a satisfactory haul.

OP - We seem to take three or four steps forward (Birmingham Leeds Doncaster) but then suffer setbacks like yesterday.

Wigan are a decent side? They're the bloody FA Cup holders? They beat Man City last year?! If fans are expecting us to win every game then they're going to be very disappointed...

OP - How long can the club sustain making multi million signings and not acheiveing the goal that is the Premier League?

We have two multi million £ signings in CMS and Ulloa, CMS was a mistake and we overpaid for him. Ulloa is a very good striker. Oscar didn't make either of these signings therefore can't take much responsibility. I also don't see Oscar making any more in the near future. Other teams around us are doing the same and not all of them can make the premier league. We will soon see as FFP comes into action how this pans out.

OP - And Augustien? This crazy a palyer who could set Ulloa away time after time, a player who can beat a defender, frozen out.

Actually agree on this one. Decent player who hasn't been given an opportunity to really show what he can do. If there are differences they need to be sorted out. Not sure how he fits into Oscars plans though.

OP - We have all made some sort of sacrifice for Albion to be where they are now however small, getting to the Prem is a sooner rather than later necessity , rather than becoming an Ipswich or a Middlesbrough.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm enjoying the championship, unpredictable what will happen each game and anyone can beat anyone. Which is the joy in football. It would be boring otherwise.

OP - Make hay while the sunshine's, sign a decent,expirienced, striker on loan. Just like other clubs do.

Overall I don't really agree with many points in your post. And most of our fanbase needs to review their expectations of the club. We're not going to win every game or challenge for the promotion after so much destruction in the summer. We've been very lucky in recent years with promotion and establishing ourselves as a top half championship club. Capable of beating decent Premier League teams in the cup. Look back to a few years ago where we were getting beat at Withdean every week in the rain. And not even the hope of a new stadium. The Championship is competitive and the hardest league to get out of. People need to stop expecting us to thrash everyone every week. Get behind the team and enjoy the ride. Is that not what footballs about?

This (or possibly that). Was it only a couple of months ago that we beat Wigan 1 - 0 at their ground or did I imagine it?

I thought it was an excellent game yesterday apart from the result.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'll never understand why people following a lower league club have such unrealistic expectations for what is acheivable. Why does anyone expect to improve year on year? Football just doesn't work like that, it's very much a one step forward and two steps back type of sport. Once you fix one leak another one springs up. There really is an element of luck needed to get promotion from this division, you need everything to come together at the right time like it has for Leicester this year. Throwing endless amouts of money at it isn't enough on it's own as QPR and Forest are proving this season and Leicester proved last season.

This summer will be dependant on who we can keep and who we get in, there's every chance that we'll lose a few of this squad and Oscar will just be dealing with a different set of problems. We are operating at a massive disadvantage compared to other clubs who either have parachute payments or an owner where money is no object.

I'm happy with what we're doing and where we are, I enjoy the football and like how the club is run, what more do I need?

To quote Tony Soprano - some of our fans are like the woman walking round with a virginia ham under her arm, but they're crying because they've got no bread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here