Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should Brighton/Bloom do about this?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is this bad enough to need an apology (or 'clarification')? Gus hasn't said anything racist, but he has left himself open to accusations he doesn't take it seriously enough. And in this frenzied current climate on the issue, that's a witch-hunt waiting to happen.

You wonder what the board make of it all, and I can't help feeling that some PR direction is needed. After making the comments yesterday, Gus was then allowed back onto talkSPORT today when he only made matters worse.

He probably wouldn't like a tighter rein to be kept on his many media appearances, but if he's going to do this, maybe it's now required.

Or do you think no further action is necessary...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just ignore it and it will pass. If we beat Southampton that will be the news, if we dont they will be very near to the record for consecutive home wins so that will be the news.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He patently needs to be vetted by the club for his media appearances. He's obviously trying to raise his profile as a manager, but verbally he's a bit of a loose cannon who is likely to talk first and think later. Fair enough, talking about individual matches that his club is involved in, but anything beyond that and the media are now going to be setting traps for him. They love hounding people til they get a scalp, and a manager's scalp is arguably more of a result than a player's scalp.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Gus has always been happy to speak to the media and today was no different. The media love him because he has an opinion on everything and is usually entertaining.

But I think that after what's happened today, he'll be a bit more wary of not falling into the trap of being upfront and open in his opinions.

He's not a fool and will see this as something to learn from in future when dealing with the media.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He's made a comment and explained himself in a language not native to him, in the best way he appears to be able, that people from different countries have differing views regarding the language considered to be racist. He did not accuse anyone specifically of being either a cry baby or a racist. In his view he is not one and neither is his friend. Therefore what do you expect the club to do? Find it remarkable how some of those low lifes on shitradio can comment, drunks, sexist, women beaters...................

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Either accept gus for who he is, or destroy the man and also the best manager we ever had with these ridiculous witch hunts that happen every time some one says something a bit controversial.

With respect he has 100 per cent brought this one on himself. He didn't need to say all that stuff, just 'I don't think Luis is a racist'. And most of the people on today's witch-hunt are not Brighton fans, and they couldn't give a shit if he left even if we could.

There will be a point where the club decide they don't want this sort of thing any more. That might lead to a word in his ear, and he may not react well to that (I suspect he wouldn't, to be honest).

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Bloom should tell Gus privately that he has his backing, and at the same time suggest he needs to be a bit smarter with the press.

And then we move on.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I reckon we should stick by Gus, and tell the rest of the PC mad world to f*** off.

Now where is Sanjay my butler, it is dinner time!!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
sake..

the manager of swindon town is paulo di canio, a self-confessed fascist

why don't they interview him? im sure you'd get a wonderful response.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm pretty sure he said what most people were too scared to say, England's culture is very different to the rest of Europe and some words are interpreted differently in England as they are in other countries.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, Poyet has made the BBC News Channel tonight, together with the slap-down from Sir Alex, so that's going to be all over the world now. The papers are going to absolutely SLAUGHTER him tomorrow.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Hmmm, not sure why others would be 'too scared' ([MENTION=18186]rad[/MENTION]) to explain that language use in South America that would sound racist in the UK is harmless. Most non-South Americans wouldn't make the point because they wouldn't be aware of it.

But even if he was just making that point (which is valid, may be true, and may even turn out to be the reason given if Suarez is not convicted), it's a hiding to nothing and a wise man would have steered clear. AND he completely undermined his credibility by the 'crybaby' comment: it's one thing to say that Evra mis-interpreted because he's not from S America; it's quite another to insult him.

So let's not pretend Gus hasn't seriously blotted his copybook here. He has damaged the Albion's reputation.

However, I agree that the best thing to happen is just to keep his gob shut for a bit on any non-Albion matters, and I hope that TB has indeed had a word in his ear.

The main thing is that he makes sure he has not created a problem with the squad, especially our non-white players.

Well, Poyet has made the BBC News Channel tonight, together with the slap-down from Sir Alex, so that's going to be all over the world now. The papers are going to absolutely SLAUGHTER him tomorrow.

Really? It's news today but I don't see it being news on Monday. TB will no doubt have had a quiet word and that should be the end of it. Gus needs to just keep it quiet for the next couple of days and concentrate on the team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is this bad enough to need an apology (or 'clarification')? Gus hasn't said anything racist, but he has left himself open to accusations he doesn't take it seriously enough. And in this frenzied current climate on the issue, that's a witch-hunt waiting to happen.

You wonder what the board make of it all, and I can't help feeling that some PR direction is needed. After making the comments yesterday, Gus was then allowed back onto talkSPORT today when he only made matters worse.

He probably wouldn't like a tighter rein to be kept on his many media appearances, but if he's going to do this, maybe it's now required.

Or do you think no further action is necessary...
Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that Gus's comments are going to be vetted matey...oops wrong post

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here