Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What shops do you remember from Sydney Street?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
And what was set up next door to the funeral directors in 1976?

The Body Shop.

Charming choice of name.

:laugh: Did'nt turn out too bad for her.

Did you see this, someone was trying to put a name to all the record shops in the North Laine. These are the missing gaps, amazing how I spent hours in these places, looking for the elusive colour 7'' disc, but cannot remember what they were called or what loacation they were..

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9276_path__0p224p1743p.aspx

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/category_id__1743.aspx

I think there was a shoeshop/cobbler called "R Sole". [Or it could have been on Gardner Street.]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
:laugh: Did'nt turn out too bad for her.

Did you see this, someone was trying to put a name to all the record shops in the North Laine. These are the missing gaps, amazing how I spent hours in these places, looking for the elusive colour 7'' disc, but cannot remember what they were called or what loacation they were..

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9276_path__0p224p1743p.aspx

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/category_id__1743.aspx

I swear Vinyl Demand and its offshoots have taken just about every shop in Sydney Street at some point.

There was a record shop in Redcross(?) Street for a short time (a street which once ran from Trafalgar Street to Cheapside, but is now where the Technical College car park is), which was tiny. And damp. Bought shedloads of soul records in there, though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I swear Vinyl Demand and its offshoots have taken just about every shop in Sydney Street at some point.

There was a record shop in Redcross(?) Street for a short time (a street which once ran from Trafalgar Street to Cheapside, but is now where the Technical College car park is), which was tiny. And damp. Bought shedloads of soul records in there, though.

I'm quite certain that was Vinyl Demand too at one point.

I'm vaguely aware that Rayfords had more than one shop in the street at some point.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Thats sounds a nice bit of gear - it was a really good shop, so much better than GAK. Mine was a Fender P bass lyte - it doesnt get used a whole lot now as I have accumulated a few more over the years!

Yes it's a lovely guitar. It sat in the window for a few years, gradualy going down in price, until I could afford it with most of that year's student loan. Those were the days! (don't tell the trolls!) I've used it on studio recordings and tours - it has paid for itself many times over - and it's still my favouritre bass, although I modified it to take a B-E-A-D tuning about 10 years ago so now I use it mainly for dance stuff and anything that needs a stupidly fat low end.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Sydney Street where Forfars and that bike shop are now at the turn of the last century

jg_25_189.jpg

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Acres the bakers,Rayfords also had a record shop,greengrocers run by an old boy with one arm,a deli,a shop selling french wine and food,a paint and wallpaper shop,clothes shop where across the tracks is now,Richardsons the bookies,a shop selling tents and outdoor gear,a D.I.Y shop,Ann Logan childrens clothes, a shop selling trainers, stage door cafe,a fishmongers and the first Rayfords which sold and repaired washing machines.

Burnt coffee beans, The Cork Shop, the (green) dragon,
the Bookies opposite, you could spend the whole day there,
never did, but could have done...

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Gunns the florist, my uncle john worked there for years, he died from a heart attack some 5 years ago. Albion fan too although was man utd too. RIP

John was a good friend of mine since we both played football for a Hurstpierpoint team. I used the shop for years and was very sad when John passed away. A really nice guy, we may have met at his funeral.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Burnt coffee beans, The Cork Shop, the (green) dragon,
the Bookies opposite, you could spend the whole day there,
never did, but could have done...

Burnt coffee beans and the cork shop was Gardner Street.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I remember the late sixties - when pretty much EVERY shop in Sydney Street was a butcher. Most of them had no refrigeration, so it was possible to turn up at about 5.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and buy an enormous Sunday joint for next to nothing.

Can smell the saw dust!

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
it was vinyl demand there in red cross street ,then it moved to sydney street no 10 and changed name to music meltdown next door to the office i bought the business in 2000 and sold it in 2005 to run it onlne

loved the shop and the street great buzz

always had the players in

nathan jones ,charlie ,harty .kerry ,paul rogers robert codnor ,john robinson rob isaacs and music people such as the captain /dexys .phil tufnell john fashanu .fatboy .neil tennant .howard marks

those were the days

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Dirty Harrys was an antiques shop,opposite, Villa and Hut was a record shop a tailoring alterations business and then a furniture shop,Lyons flooring was on the corner opposite across the tracks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The electronics shop at the Station end near the corner. It sold transistors, resistors and a load of old ex Post Office electrical guff. Guy who ran it was the spitting image of Haryy H Corbet. I too still smell the coffee bean aroma formt he shop on the right as you went down North to South , about half way along.

TTF

Are you thinking of Royce's Radio? That was on Trafalgar St, where the DVD shop is now

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Barneys on the corner of Kensington Gardens - used to be a green grocers opposite.

My sister used to work at Ann Logans

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
yeah , spose yer right greyrun,
but they are one and the same, doubt anyones ever visited one without the other, unless from the north to visit the dragon ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here