Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Restrictions Do You Think Should Be Eased After Current 3 Week Review Period Ends?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This lockdown needs to continue until at least May with pubs having to close until Christmas.

If they did that, there’d be no pubs left to open.

This isn’t as simple as Lockdown until a vaccine is available. That could be a year away and it might never come. After a certain time there’ll come a tipping point when our economy will go into a depression that could cost more lives than the virus.

And people won’t stay cooped up forever. I think three months is the maximum.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Sorry I think garden centers is a silly suggestion. It is not necessary and will start a tidal wave of "whatabout XYZ as well".

Besides being visited and often staffed by older people. Who do not need plants right now. And the nurseries can ship mail order if they want (most good ones do), and deal with the situation like everyone else is, or use the governments various support measures.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing just yet. But potentially a few minor things in a further 2-3 weeks, if trends and data keep pointing in a more positive direction.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
For me it's nursery plants and garden centres. This is their one shot in the year to sell their produce. Garden centres by their nature tend to be largely outdoors. Which should serve as an aid to social distancing. And apart from anything else, being able to tend and nurture plants would go a long way towards reassuring huge numbers of gentle fretful people that Life Renews. Green Shoots, literally

Very sad report here the other day:

Coronavirus: Millions of garden plants set to be binned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098436

I have been very lucky, my local nursery has been able to keep going by providing home delivery, they have supplied me with a good supply of bedding plants and compost, which has kept me going and out of trouble for a few days of my 12 week lockdown!

I am hoping this is going to be the best ever display in my garden this year, I mean, I have no excuses for not looking after my plants at this time...

As for lifting restrictions - no chance in the foreseeable future, too many idiots taking the piss now as it is...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This isn’t as simple as Lockdown until a vaccine is available. That could be a year away and it might never come. After a certain time there’ll come a tipping point when our economy will go into a depression that could cost more lives than the virus.

Exactly this. We are flattening the curve. If there was a miracle cure, vaccine or even antibody test we probably wouldn't be in lockdown now but none of those three things are on the horizon. We cannot lockdown forever. Like it or not this is risk management, albeit with big stakes. The economy will have to come first once we're confident the NHS won't be overwhelmed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For me it's nursery plants and garden centres. This is their one shot in the year to sell their produce. Garden centres by their nature tend to be largely outdoors. Which should serve as an aid to social distancing. And apart from anything else, being able to tend and nurture plants would go a long way towards reassuring huge numbers of gentle fretful people that Life Renews. Green Shoots, literally

Very sad report here the other day:

Coronavirus: Millions of garden plants set to be binned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098436

Not yet IMO - if they open they'll be instantly RAMMED with people - they are at the best of times, let alone when they'd be the only place open. Our local ones don't have even half their stuff outdoors. They are also heavily used by the older population who (based on my 2 trips to the shops in the last 3 weeks) are the ones that haven't understood what distancing means.

If they were allowed to open they would need security on the doors., their cafes have to be kept closed, strict limit on the number of people allowed in etc etc. Dead plants are a shame but better than dead people and a much longer lockdown overall.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This shocking article from the BBC highlights quite clearly why no restrictions should be lifted yet, in fact the restrictions should be made more severe... **** the going out exercising - only reason to go out should be for work, food or medication.

http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688

Quite clearly some people just don't get it, don't care and feel it doesn't affect them...

That's just one police force in one part of the country - are people really that thick, or is it just the Mancs?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This shocking article from the BBC highlights quite clearly why no restrictions should be lifted yet, in fact the restrictions should be made more severe... **** the going out exercising - only reason to go out should be for work, food or medication.

http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688

Quite clearly some people just don't get it, don't care and feel it doesn't affect them...

That's just one police force in one part of the country - are people really that thick, or is it just the Mancs?

What on earth has that got to do with exercising ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

3 months is the absolute maximum

I would say at the tour operator I work for 75 percent of people not doing a Disney/Vegas/NYC holiday still want to go.

There is no chance people will stay locked up properly for 3 months

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I would say at the tour operator I work for 75 percent of people not doing a Disney/Vegas/NYC holiday still want to go.

Genuine question: you think there is likely to be civil unrest over whether or not people can take holidays over and above say them doing that/and other restrictions being lifted and then their grandparents/parents dying?

I think we’re likely to see much tougher restrictions come in before ANYTHING is relaxed.

I’m going to go batshit crazy if I have exercise taken away but I wouldn’t resort to civil unrest if it happens. Just reinforces my perspective that the general public can be and are complete tools.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What on earth has that got to do with exercising ?

If you read the article itself and not just the headline you will see that many of the reports were of people carrying out team sports (exercise) in parks... That's what it has to do with exercise. There are too many selfish people about who can't be trusted to think of others!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

That's a shame, because that's exactly what my wife and I have to do, obviously excluding her "days out" for chemotherapy!

There really are some selfish people about if they can't do even a soft lockdown for 3 months without going crazy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you read the article itself and not just the headline you will see that many of the reports were of people carrying out team sports (exercise) in parks... That's what it has to do with exercise. There are too many selfish people about who can't be trusted to think of others!

Using exercise as an excuse to get together.........no reason to ban the 99% of people who are being sensible - but big fines for those who aren't......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The talk of lifting restrictions has started here. The plan is to move when the infection rate is at a specific and manageable level. The level is still being discussed at the moment. There is some light at the end of the tunnel at long last.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Using exercise as an excuse to get together.........no reason to ban the 99% of people who are being sensible - but big fines for those who aren't......

Trouble is big fines don't mean a lot when you can pay them back a pound a week... Not exactly going to get chucked in prison either.

I also think your 99% of people exercising sensibly is an exaggeration, however if true, it is the 1% of morons, who will cause the extra % points of deaths. I really think harsher measures are to come if people don't heed the advice this weekend!

Buy yourself a treadmill before they're stockpiled :smile:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Genuine question: you think there is likely to be civil unrest over whether or not people can take holidays over and above say them doing that/and other restrictions being lifted and then their grandparents/parents dying?

I think we’re likely to see much tougher restrictions come in before ANYTHING is relaxed.

I’m going to go batshit crazy if I have exercise taken away but I wouldn’t resort to civil unrest if it happens. Just reinforces my perspective that the general public can be and are complete tools.

I think people are getting more annoyed by it every day, it was an adventure when it first came in ooooo locked in our own houses and being Furloughed - but this is wearing off and the reality of it - no pub, no gym, no nothing etc - is now hitting.

Unless we get a breakdown of what the plan is of getting out of this situation and back to normal I think patience will run out - no idea what this will look like, I can’t see civil unrest, I just think you will have people ignoring the rules.

I also think people are getting very “meh” about the virus

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's a shame, because that's exactly what my wife and I have to do, obviously excluding her "days out" for chemotherapy!

There really are some selfish people about if they can't do even a soft lockdown for 3 months without going crazy!

I don’t disagree - but it’s happening.

What I would say is “it’s only a 3 month lockdown” could be the difference between someone losing a business/job

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here