Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Makes YOU Glad To Be Alive And Living In Brighton?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Thankfully motorists are being slowly but surely squeezed out and well done to the council for implementing that.

Problem with squeezing outthe motorist is that it will eventually kill the local economy.

Have a read through the threads on Trip Advisor about Parking costs for visitors who come to Brighton.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh, and there are certain areas (the walk down from the station to the seafront, London Road, Lewes Road etc...) that are a complete disgrace and could do with some major improvements and investment.

In fact, knocking down pretty much everything in London Road/Lewes Road and starting again is not a bad idea.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oh, and there are certain areas (the walk down from the station to the seafront, London Road, Lewes Road etc...) that are a complete disgrace and could do with some major improvements and investment.

In fact, knocking down pretty much everything in London Road/Lewes Road and starting again is not a bad idea.
What even the "Residents Garden"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I love Brighton. I genuinely think its the finest city of its size in the country, and I hope circumstances will allow me to move back at some point.

There are very few places that in the UK where I'm as happy to waste a day. Bath, York and Winchester are all favourites, but very different places to Brighton.

Oct 25, 2003

i find lewes road (from sainsbury's southwards) absolutely fine, it's mostly students/young folks round there and it's far nicer than london road (which is ghastly)

What even the "Residents Garden"

not there any more...got replaced by an (empty) building a while back

great use of the space

Oct 25, 2003
I love Brighton. I genuinely think its the finest city of its size in the country,.

without a doubt...the 5 cities either side of brighton & hove in terms of population are:

Coventry
Nottingham
Leicester
Sunderland
Newcastle

Hull
Plymouth
Stoke
Wolverhampton
Derby

for me, newcastle is the only one of those i'd like to spend any time in...maybe nottingham

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
without a doubt...the 5 cities either side of brighton & hove in terms of population are:

Coventry
Nottingham
Leicester
Sunderland
Newcastle

Hull
Plymouth
Stoke
Wolverhampton
Derby

for me, newcastle is the only one of those i'd like to spend any time in...maybe nottingham

That is a bit of a grim list. Parts of Plymouth are pretty good on a nice day, to be fair. I certainly wouldn't want to live there, mind.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Brighton & Hove City Council AND Caroline Lucas MP are the two entities who solely responsible for robbing you of your parenthood...? What are they - gunslingers? Car-jackers? Seven Day Adventists?

You know I'm not even going to even reply to this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Problem with squeezing outthe motorist is that it will eventually kill the local economy.

Have a read through the threads on Trip Advisor about Parking costs for visitors who come to Brighton.
The future is proper park'n'rides for trippers that elect not to come by train. And bus/taxi lanes that don't grind to a halt by having to interweave at traffic junctions with private cars. Fast forward a few years and the whole town will be pedestrianised with no traffic apart from cycles and skateboards and - in off-peak hours only - delivery vans. And IMHO it'll attract more visitors, not less.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
During my years in the Navy, ive had to live in Plymouth, and Portsmouth, and Northwood..when contracting, Ive had to live Maidenhead..Basingstoke...Stevenage...Exeter... Hounslow.. Watford.... ive also lived in Frankfurt, Brussels, Amsterdam, Den Haag, and now Prague. Brighton holds up to most of them very well. Ive no doubt where I will be living when I decide to leave Europe and return home, I still consider Brighton the best place in the UK to live. When I brought my Gf to UK last year, I took her to London for 3 days, and she couldnt wait to get back to Brighton, we came back to Brighton midday on the second day....she loved the city. She found it to be a very relaxing environment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough.

I just didn't realise MPs stole parenthoods, that's all.
I have it in the back of my mind this is one to walk away from, TLO, if Tux has mentioned his situation before, (unless I'm thinking of someone else's predicament).
Notwithstanding the fact it was a comment made which is open to further grilling.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
A policy started under Labour, embalmed under the Tories, and re-started with the current lot. There's still too many cars and not enough space for them.

One of the downsides to living here is the filthy air.

There are too many people and not enough space too.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
As others have alluded, I never get bored here.

In fact, after work, I'm going to jump off the train, head down to the beach, have a beer and toast the sunset.

Then walk home looking for some shubbery.

You could do that in Eastbourne... or Worthing... or Seaford, what makes Brighton so special?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Will it? I heard all sorts of scare stories when Ken introduced the congestion charge....all totally unfounded.

Out of interest which sectors of the economy do you think will be hit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here