Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What kind of feathered friend is this?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Having had a good look it seems like a Black Redstart (female). If you get a chance check the under tail to see any reddish colour and when the birds lands the tail 'twitches'.
That would be my shout too - it’s the right time of year and they favour buildings too. I wouldn’t bother feeding it, it will be fine. They eat insects, berries and seeds.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/204244101

Definitely not a wren - or Garden Warbler - warblers have all migrated now (apart from some Chiffchaff and Cetti’s which over winter)

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
It is a female redstart or black redstart; the eye ring and pale belly makes me think maybe not a black redstart, though I can’t claim to be an expert judge.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
It is a female redstart or black redstart; the eye ring and pale belly makes me think maybe not a black redstart, though I can’t claim to be an expert judge.
Agree the photo isn't conclusive on its own but location (on man made structure in a garden) and time of year (redstarts would have migrated away from the UK by now) point to black redstart.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Using Google Lens on my phone to search the pic you've posted, it says it's a Nightingale. Disclaimer, I tried this with the fungi thread the other week & the only result I ever had was 'mushroom' even with an Amanita Muscaria. :unsure:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here