Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What kind of council?

Sep 20, 2005
What kind of council would allow a highly dangerous fireworks factory to be built in a light industrial unit, surrounded by other businesses in similar units, near livestock, farms and other housing.
That area near Ringmer is a beautiful area. Naturally beautiful, you might say. Outstanding, even.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Style Council?

Now that was a Council to get excited about.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Tragic News indeed.

I heard MP Norman Baker say on the radio that he did not know the the Firework Factory was there.

I think he should have known that!

Lawro's Lip said:
Tragic News indeed.

I heard MP Norman Baker say on the radio that he did not know the the Firework Factory was there.

I think he should have known that!
I was surprised to hear that. The place (and the family that run it) are very well known in Lewes bonfire circles.

But, hey! What does Norman know about that side of life in his constituency?

Lawro's Lip said:
Do LDC have any responsibility for protecting this particular part of the countryside?
The fireworks warehouse is in Lewes district - just. It's very close to the boundary with Wealden. In fact it is in the ward where I contested last August's by-election.

But it's not protected countryside (AONB or anything like that). The Broyle area of Ringmer and Shortgate is home to a number of small to medium sized industrial activities, of which Festival Fireworks is one. There is also a Gliding Club nearby, and Raystede Animal Sanctuary.

As for responsibilities for safety, those lie with the Health and Safety Executive and East Sussex County Council's Trading Standards Department, rather than the District Council.

Maybe I'm being a bit over-sensitive here, but do I detect a bit of a wish in some quarters to try to find an angle on this tragedy that can be turned against LDC? I'm personally not going there and would discourage others from doing so as well. A lot of people living out our way know local firefighters and are thinking of them and their families right now. The Winter family, who ran the warehouse, are also very well known - both to Roz and me and to many of our friends. This is a time for quiet reflection.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Where else do people want a fireworks manufacturing/storage warehouse to be located? In a town centre? They have to go somewhere.

A rural area such as Laughton/Halland/Ringmer seems sensible to me.

I can't help thinking whether the whole thing would have been much worse if we hadn't just had 5th November celebrations.

Tragically there was loss of life, two firefighters just doing their jobs - lets not forget that.

As far as I'm aware there is another similar fireworks warehouse in the area. Don't think it's owned by the same company. The company I work for obtained Planning Consent & Building Regulations approval for it 6/7 years ago and the safety measures that had to be put in place were phenomenal.

I agree with LB that no-one can use this as an angle against LDC.

Until we know how it happened (if that can be ascertained) any theories are just speculation.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I absolutely agree that now is not the time to be scoring points and our thoughts should be elsewhere with those who have been affected, particularly the families of the deceased and injured.

However at some stage there have to be people who take responsibility for protecting the lives and property of residents in the area and those who risk their lives in the maintained services.

Unless we dismiss it as a huge unavoidable accident, then when the time comes some of us will be interested to know where that responsibilty lies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here