[Music] What Is Your Main Source For Listening To Music At Home?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Is Your MAIN Source For Listening To Music At Home?

• Hi Fi separates for physical formats only.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Hi-Fi separates with a streaming amp or server

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • All in one 'Music Centre'

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • A Radio

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • Computer connected to speakers

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Computer connected to headphones

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Phone connected to speakers

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Phone connected to headphones

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • DAP (Digital Audio Player) via headphones

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am very much into audio and have a couple of systems. One is setup in the main living room that consist of two turntables, amplifier, music server / streamer (Innuos zen mini) and speakers. In another room I have a turntable, mini disk recorder, cd player, amplifier and speakers.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Alexa plays music from my wife's Apple Music account, via any one of our four Echoes. She also wakes us up with random tunes.

But when I want to hear my own (much rockier) music (ripped from CDs, cassette and vinyl), I'll play it through my PC speakers. Or phone/headphones if I'm gardening. Or the car's USB socket and speakers if I'm driving.

Does anyone stream music through their phones in the car?

Yes.but just from my phone not through the car.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Apologies for not including 'smart speakers' in the poll. I've never bugged my home and so forgot about that option :wink:

In truth I thought I'd covered that sort of thing with the phone option, but on reflection, I suppose it doesn't quite work like that.

If I can still add smart speaker in as a poll option, I will. But not sure if it's still possible to edit the poll?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
a radio.... or youtube playlist via computer or tv...
just boxed up all my cds... will not be thorwing away.... did bin the cassettes... vinyl remains and one day i will purchase a 'record player' again...
just not into streaming music really
i am more of a podcast addict than tunes

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Speakers and amp in front room with turntable attached for vinyl but I can also stream music through a DAC for radio or Spotify. Kitchen old Technics stack system with a DAC for digital, rest of the house Alexa/Sonos gadgets for music. Never use CD’s although got hundreds stored away.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Spotify and a blutetooth speaker. Although I find Spotify a bit of a mess even with subscription.

So I often just put a CD,Radio 6 or Radio 3 on.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I love my audio and get just as good "hi fi" sound through an AV Receiver with 5.1 surround with most music streamed through Sky Apps, Spotify, Vevo etc, but the majority of the time we just fire up YouTube via the Sky box and watch and listen to music....

Obviously sound quality is dependent on the quality of the gear and then most importantly the quality of the source material.

Sent from my T770H using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Cocktail Hi-Fi Hardrive with Tannoy speakers is the main music source which doesn't seem to fit a category. I've loaded about 400 CD's with about 100 to go for my whole CD collection. I prefer a physical format with something to look at and think about like label, album cover, lyrics, producers, musicians etc. But I don't have the space, so loading the Cocktail and storing the CDs has been a good compromise. Loaded in FLAC format, I can play whole albums, single tracks, random play from over 5000 album tracks loaded so far, random play by genre or year. It's good fun. I prefer to play my own music and remember why I bought it, who gave it to me, gigs of the album etc., rather than random playlists which is just someone else's favourites, not mine. YouTube on TV or tablet gets good use and a cheap GPO music centre plays the vinyl and CDs in the kitchen/diner. Tried streaming on Amazon Music from the phone in the car, but it's rarely very successful.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes.but just from my phone not through the car.

Streaming, rather than music files on the phone? Do you get any drop-outs or stuttering? I'm thinking it wouldn't work too well with the poor 4G coverage in some parts of Cornwall!

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I've had all my HiFi Separates refurbished/ serviced over the last couple of years so now enjoy vinyl on B&O deck, recapped NAD 3020A amp, Technics ST4 Tuner, Philips CD player and AR25 speakers (refoamed) / Stax electrostatic headphones. I've also added a Sonos connect for streaming Spotify/ Deezer internet radio.

I have a Roberts Stream i radio in the Kitchen, Sonos Beam for TV and a Technics HD50 mini system in the spare room / office. I'll be adding more Sonos speakers next year and probably a Brennan Cd Ripper too.

I love my HiFi, but also listen to Spotify/Deezer on airpods pro/phone when walking the dog. Not a patch on the separates but for the size still impressive.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Streaming, rather than music files on the phone? Do you get any drop-outs or stuttering? I'm thinking it wouldn't work too well with the poor 4G coverage in some parts of Cornwall!

Most 'streaming' services (e.g. I use Youtube Music - about £2/month because I'm in, ahem, India) allow you to download music and podcasts to your phone for such situations, as well as buffering several minutes forward every time you start playing whilst on WiFi.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Alexa mainly at home, either radio or our Spotify via it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Old school turntable connected to Bose system and surround speakers plus Spotify through same system via Sky Q.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The PC at the moment but I'm about to splash out on a CD player and a vinyl turntable - ask me again in a month

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports