Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] What is your film of the year ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This scene and the one directly after were geek heaven.

Great clip from a very good film. Wonder Woman knocked all the super hero films out of the park in 2017 for me

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't manage a second viewing of Thor Ragnorak, so my opinion of that could lessen, but with only one viewing that took my top spot (I need to see Jumanji, Pitch Perfect 3 and The Greatest showman, but I don't expect any of them to dislodge it).

Close behind would be The Handmaiden, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2, Star Wars The Last Jedi, I Am Not Your Negro, and Wonder Woman

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You miss out fella. Nothing better than seeing a truely great film at the cinema with a collective audience. Last one I saw that really had an impact was Schindler's List in 1993. Everyone at the end were just sat in their seats at the end in shock and awe of what a film can do. Cant remember a reaction like that since

I can't bring myself to ever watch that film again. It stuck in my head for months afterwards.

Best films I've seen this year: Ghost In The Shell and the new Star Wars.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I haven't seen the new Blade Runner on the grounds that the first one (Director's Cut) is my favourite film, I'm too nervous to watch it :) So.....'Thor: Ragnorok' I guess beating out 'The Last Jedi', more than a little of a surprise to me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Great clip from a very good film. Wonder Woman knocked all the super hero films out of the park in 2017 for me

I’m not sure I can agree with that. The ending to the film was awful and in stark contrast to the rest of it, unfortunately. Had they nailed the ending with the bad guy, I’d have probably agreed. For me, Thor took top spot in the superhero category for that reason, plus it’s comedic feel.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The Death of Stalin; funniest film I have seen in ages, although I appreciate there were a few quibbles about the bad taste of making a comedy with this subject matter. Great performances all round, particularly from Simon Russell Beale and Steve Buscemi.

Blade Runner 2049 was an awesome spectacle, but there wasn't enough of a plot to sustain the movie for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Slow cinema year for me this year. Combination of not many good films out and lack of free time this year. My best would be The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Colin Farrell on top acting form, a la The Lobster. Same director and a jolly good film it is too.

Worst? Without any doubt: Kong, Skull Island.

I like a brain switched off action romp but it has to have some charm. This was dogshit.

I see La La Land is on Netflix, I'm curious. I will probably pop it on tonight while wrapping presents.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The two best I saw at the cinema were Get Out and Baby Driver. Notable mention for Dunkirk and Paddington, both of which were thoroughly enjoyable.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This thread has made me realise how little I go to the cinema. I see a lot of kids films on Sky though and as a family we loved Sing this year. From a personal point of view Dunkirk was brilliant.

If you live over the Hastings/Bexhill way I can thoroughly recommend The Sussex Exchange Cinema as a viewing experience, it’s only holds about 30 people but you get lovely reclining seats, can take a beer in with you and during the week is a couple of quid cheaper than Cineworld. They also have a nice restaurant if you want to make an evening of it. Although I can get nearly 50% off Cineworld now through the charity I work for I’d still rather go to Sussex Exchange when I’m not taking the kids.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thankfully it was not like the TV series. I liked the dark edge to it.

If only the First World War had been so simple as that.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Baby Driver - no contest - possibly my favourite film for he last ten years

Hinoriubke metiins for Paddingron, blade runner and train spotting.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Did a Jumanji/Pitch Perfect 3 double today - Jumanji is what you'd expect, funny and entertaining with good graphics and Karen Gillan! :love:

Pitch Perfect 3 also what you'd expect, but Hailee Steinfeld gets sexier film by film. :love:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Best:
Split
Hacksaw ridge
Train to Busan (actually a 2016 film but only saw it this year)

Worst:
Get out
Kingsman: the golden circle
The snowman

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here