Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] What is your February energy bill ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Our bills are way higher than anyone else has posted so far. I have a wife who is cold even at 20 degrees :down:

I can’t bring myself to tell you how much it was :down:
I think we're on the same page, Mrs Zef is at home all day working in the smallest room in the house.

Note to self, get the heating control gizmo installed pronto. . .

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I've been paying £120 p/m for the last few months, but have been in dispute with my supplier. Basically, my gas reading was way lower than their estimate (my elec readings were higher than their estimates, so it wasn't as if I was trying to rip them off). After much photographing of meter (a smart one, but they can't read it), meter box, connections etc, they finally relented, and I'm now £1150 in credit!! Hopefully they'll send some of that back and reduce my monthly's!!

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Switched over to octopus energy from shell beginning of feb and managed to get on the energy tracker so today was 25.3p for elec and 6p for gas per kWh . Total this month is £44 gas and £72 electric then minus gov £67 so my lowest in 12 months under £50 plus I got £50 for joining on a referral and have just got mother in law to switch so both got £50 aswell and a work colleague so both got £50 . 3 bed house 10 years old . Tado for heating and water , only comes on when at home .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've been paying £120 p/m for the last few months, but have been in dispute with my supplier. Basically, my gas reading was way lower than their estimate (my elec readings were higher than their estimates, so it wasn't as if I was trying to rip them off). After much photographing of meter (a smart one, but they can't read it), meter box, connections etc, they finally relented, and I'm now £1150 in credit!! Hopefully they'll send some of that back and reduce my monthly's!!
Only £1150? You got off lightly, we were over £3k in credit last November.

after the cold snap we're only £7k in debt now, if we're lucky 😂

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Gas from Octopus: 1302 kwh @ 16.23p/kwh -EPG + 25.56p daily standing charge= £134.88. Electricity from Good Energy 119kwh 64.9p/kwh + 44.55p daily standing charge = £89.71. Both are a significant reduction from January's.

Gas heating is on twice a day and we have gas cooker.

We are currently having double glazed sliding sash windows installed at huge expense so hopefully won't be facing these energy costs next winter.

Do smart meters really save money? I've a gizmo that gives real time Electricity readings but don't really look at it.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Gas £218.74
Elec £97.94

Octopus flexible tariff

Elec
49.35p per kWh
Standing charge 45.26p a day

Gas
14.12p per kWh
Standing charge 25.56p per day

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Both months have worked out roughly the same, £70 for electric and £140 for gas. We have solar panels and they've helped a lot keeping the electric side of the bill down, reckon I'm saving £50-70 a month with them. My other half likes the heating on and a bath everyday, but he's actually quite reasonable about the heating. If I was on my own, no way would it be £140, but we're lucky that we don't have to quibble about the money.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
£100 electricity and £353 gas, Octopus Energy flexible tariff for both, with my own solar panels and battery. My billing is 12th of the month so this is 13 Jan to 12th Feb, should be a fair bit lower next month. I live in a draughty 5 bed end of terrace edwardian house that gets a lot of south west prevailing winds whipping past. 3 adults working from home so electricity use is up in winter months when the sun isn't shining on the panels.

My monthly direct debit is £190 and I'm £680 in credit, so hope I can scrap a bit back or reduce the monthly amount. Used to pay £120 a month before the prices rises.

Our gas boiler is 5 years old and we also have a gas aga in the kitchen, which is the only warm room in the house when it gets really cold outside. So glad I've got solar panels and battery. These save huge amount (excess power heats hot water on sunny days) and I get nearly £800 a year back from exporting power to the grid. Reckon I'd be £2,000 a year worse off without them.

Gas £218.74
Elec £97.94

Octopus flexible tariff

Elec
49.35p per kWh
Standing charge 45.26p a day

Gas
14.12p per kWh
Standing charge 25.56p per day

We are with Bulb but supposed to be transferred over to Octopus at some point after Bulb went into administration.

Your unit costs are a lot higher than our current rates with Bulb!

Electricity 33.7140p per kWh and 40.646p/day
Gas 9.8050p per kWh and 27.1280p/day

Is that an Eco 7 tariff or something? As it seems to be higher than all those listed on https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Note their tracker tariff rates are currently
  • 24.57 p/kWh (Electric)
  • 5.95 p/kWh (Gas)
Which is less than half what yours are.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
We are with Bulb but supposed to be transferred over to Octopus at some point after Bulb went into administration.

Is that an Eco 7 tariff or something? As it seems to be higher than all those listed on https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

• 24.57 p/kWh (Electric)
  • 5.95 p/kWh (Gas)
Which is about half what yours are.

These are supposed to be the standard flexible rate, but will look into this, I’m currently across the border to the west though, so could be a result of that.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Jan was £214 Elec and £301 Gas
Feb is £165 Elec and £210 Gas

This is according to Hugo anyway. Meanwhile I am £1k plus in credit with Octopus who have not been able to get a gas reading from my smart meter since October. I have no idea how Hugo can get the readings but not Octopus. Household is 5 adults with two working from home.
Same problem with Octopus and gas readings

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

• 24.57 p/kWh (Electric)
  • 5.95 p/kWh (Gas)
Which is less than half what yours are.

Mystery solved, I was looking at the unit prices without government support being taken into account.

Adjusted unit prices:

Elec: 33.97p per kWh
Gas: 10.39p per kWh

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Gas from Octopus: 1302 kwh @ 16.23p/kwh -EPG + 25.56p daily standing charge= £134.88. Electricity from Good Energy 119kwh 64.9p/kwh + 44.55p daily standing charge = £89.71. Both are a significant reduction from January's.

Gas heating is on twice a day and we have gas cooker.

We are currently having double glazed sliding sash windows installed at huge expense so hopefully won't be facing these energy costs next winter.

Do smart meters really save money? I've a gizmo that gives real time Electricity readings but don't really look at it.
I'm certain smart meters save money if you have the real time display somewhere that's easy to see. Ours is on my desk next to my Mac, so I'm looking at it now. We try to keep total energy costs to below £10/day - so by having the real time thingy easily visible we can shut things down as required. It can be quite scary how the cost racks up.
Incidentally, we're both working from home today and Mrs Jim in the West decided this morning that we were going to have the heating on all day...so I can see we've spent £8.73 on gas already!
Total costs for Feb were Electricity £120.22, Gas £246.31 - before the govt rebate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here