Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your favourite UK city after Brighton and London?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bath, l also like a lot of East Midland cities, for some of the architecture.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Obv Derby has a pull on my heart - Otherwise Manchester, best UK city outside of London by miles for me. Do like York, Bath, Exeter. Also have a soft spot for Portsmouth, not everyone's cup of tea, but the whole waterfront dockyard etc is fascinating. Not many cities have that much history on their doorstep.....

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Just wondering; and if you want an alternative thread to Albiob stuff. I spent a night in Birmingham on Sunday, a city I have stayed in a number of times for many reasons over the years. Had some decent beer at Brewdog then rocked up to the amazing Al Frash on The Ladypool Road for a fantastic seriously good lamb vindaloo*. It's an underated city in my opinion and I quite like it.

* - it does not take a lot to make me happy.

Why are you assuming Brighton and Hove will be everyones favourite city? It was a great place 20 years ago. Not so much now and there are towns I now prefer. Brighton has many issues as a town sadly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sheffield! Otherwise I wouldn't have lived here for 22 years.

Had some amazing nights out in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and London but i wouldn't want to live in any of those cities.

I live 10 mins from Sheffield city centre and 15 mins from some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain in the Peak District (which you can actually see from my house).

Add in the fantastic choice of pubs and restaurants and the general feel that you don't live in a big city (but have all the amenities of one) and it's pretty much spot on.

Just a shame the football teams are total shite and we always lose at bloody Hillsborough.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Norwich
Edinburgh
Lincoln

Can't wait to visit York again next summer - haven't been there for nearly 30 years. Have very good memories of it as a place.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Bath, Liverpool, and it's been a long time since I went to either, also Glasgow & Edinburgh.

(I meant to say - AWFUL city centres, probably due to the Luftwaffe & post-WW2 town planners/architects - Leicester, Portsmouth, Southampton, Plymouth.

Corrected myself above.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Glasgow. Very funny people, down to earth and know how to enjoy themselves. food and weather is shit and its full of loons but there's something about the place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why are you assuming Brighton and Hove will be everyones favourite city? It was a great place 20 years ago. Not so much now and there are towns I now prefer. Brighton has many issues as a town sadly.

I added the caveat as I was interested in places outside of these two. I sense a significanct number would have posted these two otherwise.

Oct 25, 2003
I lived in Newcastle for a few years, have family from that neck of the woods and my mum lives there now... I know it very well and quite like it

so there

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Phone city is pretty decent. Great customer service.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
After Brighton and before London it would be Chichester and the only vote for Stoke probably as I was born there... ;)

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
another vote for Bristol here - cracking city with loads to do, great alternate scene with some awesome pubs and great countryside nearby

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've got a bit of a love/hate thing going on with London.

Another vote for Bristol.

Soft spot for Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here