Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is your all time favorite football quote?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:lolol: :moo:

IMG_1233.jpeg

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
No doubt Clough provided the most - I haven’t got the exact one but I loved the one where he was allegedly telling Forest players to just get it to that little fat lad on the wing and he’ll win the game(referring to the brilliant John Robertson).

That era - Greavsie, Marsh, Best etc - was rich territory. Wasn’t Marsh the original where he was being briefed by a new manager,
‘And if you’re not playing well I’ll pull you off at half-time’.
To which Marsh replied,
‘Blimey gov. At my last club we only got an orange!’

Our wonderful RDZ is already reaching legendary status though - soul and spirit!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
If Stan Bowles could pass a betting shop like he can pass a football, then he'd be a rich man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was this one an urban myth?

Player to ref “what will you do if I call you a ****?”

Ref “I’ll send you off”

Player “What if I just think you’re a ****?”

Ref “You can think what you want”

Player “In that case I think you’re a ****”

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I refer those present to my signature.

For a non-Albion quote, I still think you can’t go wrong with Sir Alex Ferguson’s “Football…bloody hell!”

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought Hillsborough had permanently consigned that quote to the bin.
The quote wasn't intended to be taken seriously when he said it. He was parodying himself. In a post retirement interview, he had explained that he had given everything to the game and was asked whether he regretted it. He said he did because his family had suffered and then explained how obsessive he had been using the famous line. Nobody really thinks its more important than life, it was just a typically dry and clever way to explain that we can all take it too seriously.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And more Cloughies

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard" (Roy Keane)

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular Job"

"That Jose Mourinho’s got a lot to say for himself. He reminds me of what I was like at his age – but I was better looking."

"Whenever I felt a bit off-colour I’d go and sit next to John Robertson – then I looked like Errol Flynn."

"Football hooligans? Well, there are 92 football club chairmen for a start."

:bowdown:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Another Ron Atkinson one. “I make it a rule to not criticise referees and I am not breaking that rule for that useless ****.”

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A Ron Atkinson and Ron Saunders one.

Saunders was late for the post match interview and as he walked in he said 'You keeping them entertained with your normal bullshit Ron ?"

To which Atkinson replied "Yeah, I was just telling them what a good manager you are"

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
So many great quotes, some I'd heard but many that I hadn't.
I wish, 'He must have a foot like a traction engine' was a real commentator's quote, can you imagine sitting down to MOTD, only to hear that!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Baker’s one about people who don’t like football, being “poor, half-alive bastards”!
Yep this one. I must use it half a dozen times a season.

And I'm not sure who said it, but the one about not trusting someone who doesn't like football!

RDZ definitely deserves two on here as well - "heart, hot blood and balls, big balls" and "they can't buy our soul and our spirit" 💙

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here