Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the most bizarre/memorable Albion game(s) you have attended ?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Brighton away at Chester 2000, 7:1 winners! Zamora hat-trick, home fans demonstrating before, during and after the game. Also another 7:1 this time at home, 5:0 up at half time against Charlton, this time hat-trick to Jimmy Case. Most memorable two minutes in the North stand, two quick goals to beat Liverpool in 84, 4th round FA Cup.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
2) Hull away, similar time period. Friday night. We won 2-0, played a good thirty minutes with NINE MEN and coasted :mad:

Was that the game where we were shoe horned into one end of the main stand as they had grossly under estimated how many would travel from Brighton? If it was the same game then I recall the 500-600 or so chanting for the stewards to open the gate onto the small terrace behind the goal followed by abusing the locals with a chant of £15,000 for a 3 bed house, wankers, wankers" having seen the prices in the local estate agents windows. Was indeed bizarre all round.

As for my entries:

Cambridge United away 93/94 in April. Hail storm at half time, emerged with the orange ball it was so deep and then Crumplin scored the winner by punching the ball in.

Swindon away Tues evening in 94/95, lost 3-2, Zeke Rowe played a blinder on loan from Chelsea but then promptly disappeared. Memorable for the fact that [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] got into a minor altercation with my dad and got thrown out by the police only for my dad to then go and sweet talk plod into letting him back in...9

Ninian Park, Cardiff away in 99/00 - stood in the covered end to the right of the home fans. Being threatened three times after parking in the car park behind the ground despite it only being a 150m walk to the away fans entrance. Being showered with coins by their resident hooligans in the home end whilst listening to them sing the ayatollah. Weird bunch.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Some amazing memories.

Interesting that hardly any of them are from our Amex days (our most successful period). Somehow recent matches don't seem to stick in the mind as much.

How about Amex memories ? - Doncaster , Sheff Weds play off and Wigan promotion I guess for me (all due to atmosphere).plus Palace 3-0.

Bizarre - Playing Burnley with 9 men ?

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Grimsby away 1985.

2-0 down with minutes to go.Came back to win 4-2.Terry Connor scored 2.

Great atmosphere on coach coming back!

This,. Must have been on the same coach as you. I think it was a midweeker too so not a huge following there. think Hansie Kraft may have scored too but can’t be sure...

Also recall a home game at Withdean where we beat Willmaul 4-1. Torrential rain all game and I have never been wetter. So happy when final whistle went but it was an uncomfortable, unpleasant journey home.

Charlton away On A New Year’s Day in the mid 80s. Scored after 30 seconds and dourly held out for the remainder of the game.

Hereford, Kelvin Morton and 1st game at Amex too.

Great thread, happy memories.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rushden and Diamonds Away - Think we won 3-1 or 2-0 or something. Zesh Rehman (sp) scored from outside the area. It was such a small ground, midweek, and we seemed to take a shit load up there and take it over. Don’t know why out of the hundreds of games, it sticks in my mind!

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
4-4 against Orient stands out for me. I was 14, in the North stand with my pals.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I seem to be the only one that remembers this game, so maybe I made it up...

It was at the Goldstone in some Mickey Mouse cup competition (I’m pretty sure it was against Palace). It was definitely a cold evening as the South-East corner of the pitch was frozen. I recall the ball being booted into that corner, a defender chasing the ball down but slipping over on the icy surface before he got there, he was pursued by an opponent, who also slipped over on the ice - it was like the Keystone Cops!

Later in the game, Palace scored and some of their fans invaded the pitch in that same corner; of course they all slipped over as well.

I was quite young at the time, so might have embellished some of the detail in my own mind. Can somebody please confirm that I haven’t made the whole thing up though?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The 2-8 game against Rovers for me. I can recall now the interview with Clough afterwards when he said how touched he was when there was an almighty roar for our second to reduce the deficit to 6. He didn't quite get the ironic humour of this club....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some amazing memories.

Interesting that hardly any of them are from our Amex days (our most successful period). Somehow recent matches don't seem to stick in the mind as much.

How about Amex memories ? - Doncaster , Sheff Weds play off and Wigan promotion I guess for me (all due to atmosphere).plus Palace 3-0.

Bizarre - Playing Burnley with 9 men ?

Amex era is serious football.

I think this thread is more about Fred Karno's Army stuff.

FWIW, the best football and the days of my life at the football has been the Amex Years. The previous was frankly a bit fair isle and, if I may say so, somewhat step mother, with lashings of Frey Bentos stake and kidney pudding.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Has to be the Thursday morning rearranged York City match after the abandonment on the penultimate Saturday in 1996. It was so vital because York had to win to overtake Carlisle and avoid relegation. Strange seeing so many red tops and fans from Yorkshire for an 11am kick-off, very impressive. Got to feel for Carlisle - they'd finished their season, they'd finished 20th - why should they be relegated? The following season they won League Two easily and the Auto Windscreens Shield as well so it turned out well for them.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I seem to be the only one that remembers this game, so maybe I made it up...

It was at the Goldstone in some Mickey Mouse cup competition (I’m pretty sure it was against Palace). It was definitely a cold evening as the South-East corner of the pitch was frozen. I recall the ball being booted into that corner, a defender chasing the ball down but slipping over on the icy surface before he got there, he was pursued by an opponent, who also slipped over on the ice - it was like the Keystone Cops!

Later in the game, Palace scored and some of their fans invaded the pitch in that same corner; of course they all slipped over as well.

I was quite young at the time, so might have embellished some of the detail in my own mind. Can somebody please confirm that I haven’t made the whole thing up though?
Feb 1993 ZDS cup QF ?

I seem to recall Ian Wright came off the bench to score twice in extra time

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Early Seveties, a midweek cup match played on Wednesday afternoon because we could not use floodlights due to a strike...opponents Walton and Hersham from a lower league.
We got stuffed 0-4. That was certainly the abject pathetic display of football I have seen, given the level of the opposition.
Why do the bad ones stick in your mind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here