Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What Is, The Best Kebab In Brighton?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
My first kebab was from what is now the Seagull Chip Shop along Barcombe. It defined how they should be for me. Ownership changed, staff changed, and it was never the same. Took a while before I found one that compared, and it was Kebab Knight on Lewes road. Enjoyed that for years, but then there was a big change down there, I don't know if it was ownership or what, but shortly before the refit, they were a little different. Frandzo are ok taste-wise, I like the salad they have, but their slices tend to be thicker than I prefer. The newer version of the Kebab Knight tasted more like before the last time I got one from them, but not as good.

I have gotten more into making my own, based on the recipe from the takeaway secret recipe book.

Kebab Knight the original owners went back to Turkey it has been steadily going downhill since. Frandzo had a horrendous food hygiene rating for the best part of 2019 and early 2020 but it is good again now. Never had a kebab from them though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Albion Kebabs is absolute filth. Many a happy memory in there, a saviour whether you're hammered, hungover or back from work at some awful hour. Good for people-watching, too.

I'm a veggie but have meatie mates who swear by it after six pints in the Welly and/or after work.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Page 7 and no mention of AA Charcoal on Lewes Road. Wrapped up with mayo. I like that they've been there since 1983.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I do like a kebab now and then but not as a hangover cure. If you're really serious about curing your hangover, a bowl of ramen or pho is what you need.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I tried "The Best Kebab" in Blatchington Road, Hove a couple of days ago for the first time. (Not the most imaginative name but gets to the point).

I was drawn by the google reviews which on the whole are very good and give it a high rating.

I was actually very impressed. I had a large (2 skewers) lamb shish and my wife had a small (1 skewer) chicken sheesh. The food was good. The portions very generous.

I was also struck by how clean it all looked. Instead of the normal swarthy, unshaved, sullen looking characters I normally associate with such establishments the three men working in there were uniformly very clean looking. All were freshly shaved and they all sported immaculate looking pastely lime green t-sheets. I suppose it was quite early when I went (5.45pm) so I can't vouch for their appearance post pub throwing out time by which time the familiar dark shadow of facial stubble may have become much more evident.

The 5* hygiene rating confirms their cleanliness levels
https://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk...HA&latitude=&longitude=&distance=&award_sort=

It will become my kebab takeaway of choice now. I only do about two a year but previously I always did Golden Grill but more for the convenience and out of habit which needed to be broken. "The Best Kebab" in Blatchington Road is definitely a cut above.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bes...IFa2ViYWI,ru_phdesc:LLFvPrWRivU,trex_id:lGJhs

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
woah are people actually having a kebab as a hangover cure?!

like, as BREAKFAST?!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Page 7 and no mention of AA Charcoal on Lewes Road. Wrapped up with mayo. I like that they've been there since 1983.

Used to be good till the original owner and his wife passed it on (her extra hot sauce was amazing). It is just really expensive for what it is now and run by relatives? that really dont care who the customers are.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The best kebab in Brighton would be the same as the best kebab in the world, which is a large doner with all the salad, jalapenos and hot chilli sauce.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My local kababie is from Afghanistan and makes great kebabs.
I remember when I first went there and asked for a donor with salad and hot chilli sauce.
He replied with. 'Do you want cheese and an egg in it ?'.
At that I staggered back a couple of steps and said 'Of course not'.
He then informed me that it was an Aussie thing and I rolled my eyes.
The only shame here is that they do not use a hollow pitta bread, like over there, they roll it up in a flat pitta and toast the outside.
It is still good mind, though seems to be smaller.

I had Albion Kebabs tonight, absolutely disgusting. I've also been shitting like it's going out of fashion, the worst kebab I've ever had. Tasted dreadful and a bit like it had gone off. Highly highly recommend anyone not to go there.

Anyone that rates that place, mental. It's annoying how bad that was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here