Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is our derby this season?

What is our derby this season?

• Total voters

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bloody JCLs. I remember the time when Bournemouth was THE derby. (Even so I haven't voted for it as not even I can really summon up the required antagonism these days).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Watford is potentially the easiest to get to by road and maybe even rail. Doen't the brighton Bedford train go via Watford? The other grounds are obviously nearer but trickier to get to.

No, the Brighton to Bedford Thameslink train goes further east and passes through Luton. Still an easy journey to Watford though, just change at Clapham Junction.

Having said that, Watford is north of London, so not true rivals in my opinion.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
No, the Brighton to Bedford Thameslink train goes further east and passes through Luton. Still an easy journey to Watford though, just change at Clapham Junction.

Having said that, Watford is north of London, so not true rivals in my opinion.
Oh right. I'd say they are not DERBY rivals just potentially quicker to get to. Face it the only real potential derby rivals are Crawley.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The peeps have spoken! I'm going to complain to the AA because their road atlas is obviously wrong!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, Pompey is our one true derby. This Palace rivallery was manufactured back in the 1970's. We have much more in common with a club and a city like Portsmouth, than we do with anyone from south London.

On the other hand, an unrequited rivalry isn't a rivalry at all. Perhaps Palace is more of a rivalry of convenience, for that very reason. Personally I struggle to hate Palace because every Palace fan I've ever met has been a decent bloke. But I know far more Palace fans than Pompey so that's the game I want to win the most, even if I do absolutely DETEST Pompey. And I do.

As it is, Pompey is our second biggest game and I'd say our fans broadly agree on this. I don't think it's quite as keenly felt from their side, except in that border area of West Sussex/East Hants - towns like Chichester, Littlehampton, Bognor, Midhurst etc. but it's definitely there. As long as both sides can say "we don't like losing to them but they'll never be Palace (Southampton)" then everybody's happy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reading always seemed to be the chief rivals back in the day.

That was until the S*n created a rivalry between Palarse and us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Aside from Palace and Pompey, we've always had rivalries with various other south east teams down the years - Luton, Reading, Fulham and Orient all spring to mind. I read that Brentford aren't too keen on us either, but can't say I've ever felt that one personally.

theboybilly

I voted Millwall. None are really 'derbies' but this is the closest to it for distance and a bit of needle. That said I'm looking forward to all the games v London clubs home and away. Brentford was a brilliant day out result notwithstanding. Leeds? Meh!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Used to love these at Wimpy.

009.JPG

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surprised no one has mentioned Southend yet, we used to see a lot of them back iin our old 3rd and 4th division days. Similarities between us too, both seaside towns not too far from London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here