Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] What is 'obscenely rich' in 2023?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Two of the world's most high-profile technology billionaires - Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg - have agreed to fight each other in a cage match.

Mr Musk posted a message on his social media platform Twitter that he was "up for a cage fight" with Mr Zuckerberg.
Mr Zuckerberg, the boss of Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta, then posted a screenshot of Mr Musk's tweet with the caption "send me location".
"The story speaks for itself"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who was that oaf of a student in the 80s who would set fire to ten pound notes in front of beggars? Don't know how rich he was (probably not very) but he was certainly obscene.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Food in the house and the heating on, at the same time.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Billionaires should not exist. Nobody needs that much money.

I don't get how people with that much money can look at their pile of cash and think "I definitely deserve all of this and I'm going to build a space rocket because I can" rather than "Hmm, I should use some of this to help humanity, the poor, the hungry, the sick"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who was that oaf of a student in the 80s who would set fire to ten pound notes in front of beggars? Don't know how rich he was (probably not very) but he was certainly obscene.
Ten pound notes? Wasn’t one of the ‘tasks’ to join the Bullingdon Club, to burn a £50 note in front of a homeless person?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ten pound notes? Wasn’t one of the ‘tasks’ to join the Bullingdon Club, to burn a £50 note in front of a homeless person?
Ah yes. It was Gideon, 'Call me' Dave, and the greased piglet. How could I have possibly forgotten? ???

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

I don't get how people with that much money can look at their pile of cash and think "I definitely deserve all of this and I'm going to build a space rocket because I can" rather than "Hmm, I should use some of this to help humanity, the poor, the hungry, the sick"
It’s so much money that people can’t even comprehend it. We can split hairs and talk about how it’s all in stocks and shares and not liquid assets, and how if Musk decided to sell his shares he’d never get that amount, but the scale we’re talking at here makes that largely irrelevant.

A little thought experiment, setting practicalities aside just to demonstrate scale: We would all consider Lewis Dunk to be an extremely well off man, making a speculated £75k per week.

He would have to make that salary for over 50,000 years in order to be worth what Musk is worth now.

For your average schmuck on a UK median income of about £30,000pa, you can make that 6.5 million years, when pre-human hominid species were just starting to become distinct from chimpanzees and other apes.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I reckon Tony Bloom is a billionaire or not far off. He's doing lots of good with his cash, not only for our club but the local community via support for things like AITC etc. Bill Gates is actively doing exactly as you suggest. His reward is nefarious lies propagated by hard of thinking conspiracy wankers.

The two mentioned in the OP, however, are basically Bond villains. If there was a Bond movie with a baddie called Elon Musk who ran a company that took people into Space called Space X, worked 20 hour days and named his kid after a series of random characters people would probably think that this was the one movie that had stretched the truth a bit. If the plot then developed into him and another power crazy rich guy controlling all of the messages on the internet you'd say the inheritors of Fleming and Broccoli's characters had totally lost it.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Ryan Giggs allegedly did the same thing in a nightclub to a group of Liverpool fans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here