Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with TK MAX?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This afternoon at loose end, on the way home, we stopped off at the Goldstone Retain Park( Yes I know, bad fan etc) ..and frequented TK MAX. Which is a tad pikey to be fair, however I got a golden shark golf shirt and another golf shirt ....both at 60% off the marked price.

So how do they do this as practically all of their goods be it handbags, shoes, clothes etc are all designer stuff but at really great prices?

Anyone else been there?

PS this is not an advert, I am just intrigued.

There was a TV documentary on this a while back. Basically they mix in the designer things with other items that appear to be designer but actually aren't, some of the goods are actually made by TK Max so are affectively own brand but are given exotic names like 'Frederik Anderson of Copenhagen' so people don't realise.

They also apparently get some designer companies to make cheap reproductions of their goods using poorer quality materials so as they can sell them exclusively in their stores.

You can still get some great bargains in there but you have got to be careful and never trust the RRP that they advertise or the discount that the claim to be offering.

Synopsis of the programme is below:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...ncerns-about-pricing-and-labelling-at-tk-maxx

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've always found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. On some visits the stock seem to be brightly-coloured awfulness, whereas others have resulted in some excellent finds...mostly hoodies if I'm honest.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One of my guilty pleasures is a good rummage around a TK Maxx. As well as clothing, it can be great for kids' books and toys.

My assumption has always been it's a mixture of past season ranges, end-of-line and bankrupt stock from other retailers. They can buy in large volume at low prices and distribute it around their numerous stores.

Always had you down as a TMax/Primark aficionado!!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Always had you down as a TMax/Primark aficionado!!!!

I've never been into a Primark, although I feel I'm missing out on the same way as never having been to a Lidl or Aldi.

TK Maxx is different isn't it (he asks hopefully)? I only pop in when passing, which means one every 6-8 weeks or so, and generally leave empty-handed, but I like the thrill of the chase.

On the last time I went in one they had some decent Brooks running shoes for about £35, which genuinely was a big saving. They didn't have them in my size but someone with slightly smaller feet would have got a bargain there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just after Xmas, my wife dragged me into the one in Worthing looking for 'bathroom accessories' (soap dish, toothbrush holder etc) and I came out with an excellent quality pair of salopettes for a really good price. Apparently going in for one thing and coming out with something completely different is the TK MAX way :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Going back a few years now I picked up a CP jacket for £30 went back a couple of weeks later and picked up a Handsome Paul & Shark Jacket for £15.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Always have a mooch around TKs if there is one nearby. Being a non-fashion non-label conscious 48 year old they usually have some cracking bargains. Have recently got dirt cheap running shorts, technical tee shirts, golf shirts, kitchen knives and other gadgets and a couple of top-quality fleece tops.

I thought I was the only one who had the guilty pleasure of TK Maxx kitchen knives. It started a few years ago when I did a Thai cooking course and the teacher had one of the most comfortable and sharpest knives I'd ever used. I was fully expecting it to have been a Japanese effort costing several hundred quid but when I asked her where she got it she replied "TK Maxx". Do they still do them? I haven't been in in a while

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought I was the only one who had the guilty pleasure of TK Maxx kitchen knives. It started a few years ago when I did a Thai cooking course and the teacher had one of the most comfortable and sharpest knives I'd ever used. I was fully expecting it to have been a Japanese effort costing several hundred quid but when I asked her where she got it she replied "TK Maxx". Do they still do them? I haven't been in in a while

Don't always have them in stock but yes - Brand name is Gripi.....amazing value, use them more than the 'better' ones I have in a block

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's mainly stuff that just didn't sell, an odd cut or bad design usually. A lot of it is also stuff from other parts of the world that buyers go and gather up cheap and have shipped back from factories / warehouses.

A girl I was seeing for a while did brand design for their own "fake heritage" homewares and shampoos etc. Her family had some huge country mansion called something like East Crest Hall or something, she used that name and was legally allowed to say Est 1911 or whatever year as the family took over the hall in that year. All smoke and mirrors.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Going back a few years now I picked up a CP jacket for £30 went back a couple of weeks later and picked up a Handsome Paul & Shark Jacket for £15.

Lucky you :thumbsup: I have been into the Brighton store once and got bored after about five minutes of looking.
Any reported treasure nowadays?

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I must say I was happily taping my feet along to the soul grooves being pumped out by one of my local TK Maxx stores, only yesterday.

Whenever shopping, try to make an effort to go should there be one in the vicinity as there are always damn good bargains to be had.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I find TK Maxx quite good for outdoor stuff.

I bought a couple of techincal tops for a recent walking weekend, and they were fine. Plus I got a pair of Crag Hoppers walking trousers, that detach at the knee, for a good price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here