Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has gone wrong then?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After reading all the comments think we can all agree Uncle S is a total cock.

Maybe. Seems a shade harsh. It is only an exchange of views. Are the rules now we all agree with each other and anyone that raises some questions is a total cock ? Fair enough if it is. Thank God I only express my views very rarely now.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
"Tony Bloom's lack of ambition"

Exactly how much of his money do you want him to spend?

My basic point was TB has indeed spent a lot of money but seems to be happy with rolling in the Championship for how ever long now. If that makes me a cock for saying this well, hey ho.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I get where the OP is coming from, we discussed this the other day at work. The conclusion came to was money. It's what makes people kiss the badge of eg Bradford and Wigan in the top flight versus bigger clubs that weren't at that time. We're not badly off, but are miles off the pace compared to ex Premiership clubs. One luckier than most season and we're into that same lot. Then it's how we manage things to establish a decent run. It appears now that to a large degree you can't fail if you're on the latest gravy train given the stratospheric levels of CASH on offer!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The money spent on the stadium is no longer relevant. If you really want premiership football you have to spend LARGE on (the right) players. It would seem that Bloom is not prepared (or cannot afford) to do that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well that's the impression from all the non supporting BHA co-workers I deal with who take great delight in stating nice ground, rip off prices ...no money ... I just laugh as they are all chelski, manure, Arseoles etc etc and they never ever watch there supposed teams

In fairness, lots of these in my office too and they do 'support' their clubs by buying their teams top trumps and replica shirts for their offspring, whilst promising one day to take them to a champions league qualifier against Steau Artois or some other European 'giant'.

In other words, I agree. **** 'em.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
You are right - that is the only player we have attempted to sign / signed in the last 3 seasons. I stand corrected. I also always believe everything in the Daily Mail.

Who on earth is talking about the last three seasons!! We are talking about now and our immediate future and season long goals - perhaps you want to list the 'best players around' that we are trying to sign, you know - players that will reinforce what we've got and not just warm the bench and get us challenging for the play-offs ?! Because, Daily Mail or not, I don't hear or see a lot going on!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Stephen Ward ?
(Rep of Ireland international, part of best defence in Champ 2013/14)
Adam Clayton ?
(Huddersfield Town player of 2013/14, valued £2m+ )
Jack Butland ?
(England International)
Ward - not signed as we want him on the cheap (let's hope we DO get him before someone else does!)
Clayton - valued at £2m or so but we allegedly offered just £1m+ in January!
Butland - a loanee ie on the cheap - how on earth do we BUILD a team with loan players?!

I rest my case!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
As I said before it will be a team with a lot of loans and the signings we make will not be big signings but development squad types. Or untried at our level .this will continue until the academy can start producing.. Finding the loans will not happen until the latter part of the window as clubs decide who they want etc . Get used to it and hope we can find some gems

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
'Competing to sign the best players around'?! What, a Spanish striker who has scored once in three seasons ffs?! The point is that we are NOT trying to sign the 'best players' but players on the cheap who we hope will do a job!!

And that is based upon what information exactly? - other than a news article in the Daily Mail which doesn't have a good track record of predicting our signings (or transfer targets) How many of our buys in recent seasons were made public before the deal was done (why would we when we could then be outbid by another club and miss out)

How many predicted PIG, Upson, Bridge, etc? so who knows who we are trying to get in. To write it all off before the window is even close to closing seems bizarre, and to claim we are after cheap, 2nd rate players is odd too. - Who should we be after exactly? players we can't actually afford? or world class players which would pick the PL over us anyway?

All clubs try to sign the best players that they can afford to bring in, regardless of division. There's competition for the better players and you have to get a decent squad, not just 1 or 2 big names who may get injured and hardly play, leaving you with a very weak side to fight it out for the rest of the season and hope to survive.

So who is affordable and available and should be who we are after?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Pig Upson, Bridge all the Gus era that has gone

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
This thread confirms my rough estimation that approximately 70% of NSC are clueless windowlickers.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My basic point was TB has indeed spent a lot of money but seems to be happy with rolling in the Championship for how ever long now. If that makes me a cock for saying this well, hey ho.

The money spent on the stadium is no longer relevant. If you really want premiership football you have to spend LARGE on (the right) players. It would seem that Bloom is not prepared (or cannot afford) to do that.

Tony Bloom did not become a multi millionaire by throwing money away. Every £1 spent that takes our losses over the max for FFP (£6m?) becomes £2 if we go up. We will go up spending within the rules of FFP or not at all.

I don't know what people don't get about this.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Unless Bloom is PREPARED to put £50million + MORE into the playing budget so we can COMPETE then it is TIME for him to JOG on and get someone in who WILL[/QUOTE

£50 million would not guarantee automatic promotion, but it would make the lottery of the play offs easier. Get your £50million on the table Ernest and I am sure TB will get you the best seat in the house.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
What Bloom has done for us amazing. When you look back to the dark days, this is a fantastic time to be an Albion fan. Yet last season and the Albions dealings in the transfer market over the last 12 months are a concern. We are getting a reputation for paying 'sensible' wages that I'm afraid won't mean that we have an influx of players until the last 2 weeks of the window. Then are we getting quality or numbers?
My opinion is the squad is currently the weakest since we moved to the Amex but a few players should sort that. Then we must get it right on the pitch. But it's all what ifs and like others I'll reserve judgement until the Window closes and we can see what sort of a manager Hyypia is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here