Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happened to basketball in Sussex ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did people get bored with a 6'7" bloke rolling the ball in the hoop at one end then another 6'7" bloke rolling one in the other hoop ad infinitum?

Very much my thoughts. "What happened to basketball in Sussex?" - died of boredom, I'd have said. However, it appears a few on here would disagree with that.

Not enough to keep 6'7" blokes in work just chucking balls into baskets, though, it would seem.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is far more to basketball than 6'7" players scoring. It is a game which has many ebb and flows and is exciting to watch when you have an understanding of some of the finer points.

One of the best games that I saw of the Bears under Nick Nurse was away at London Leopards, when the Bears won with the last shot of the game. What made this more special was the fact that the only time that the Bears lead all night was after the buzzer as the shot went up before the buzzer.

I think the demise of the Brighton Bears was down to money, having assembled a quality squad, Nick took the team into Europe and was expecting larger crowds at the Brighton Centre on European nights. However the games didn't attract many more than the normal domestic league games.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Choppers go to watch Plymouth Raiders in the BBL most home games.
Great evenings entertainment.
Exciting from start to finish, plus all the shenanigans going on around and during the breaks and time outs.
With respect to others you don't have to like Basketball but if you think it's just tall blokes Luzzing a ball into a hoop you are very wrong. There is great defence play as well and consistently scoring a three pointer is an art.
The kids love it, the cheerleaders are all ************, Pints of Tribute in the bar. You don't get wet and cold.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We were posting together Studio.
I have been going for 2 years but still learning the finer points.
I totally enjoy every game win or lose.
1 quick question, back in the days of the Bears, were the crowd, cheerleaders and coaches allowed to put of the away team at free throws.
One guy takes a bicycle hooter and just as the player is about to shoot he honks it, when he misses The Laughing Policeman is played over the sound system.
Last week the crowd had to stand up at the start of the 3rd quarter and sing along to Can You Feel it until the first basket goes in.
Quality night out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We were posting together Studio.
I have been going for 2 years but still learning the finer points.
I totally enjoy every game win or lose.
1 quick question, back in the days of the Bears, were the crowd, cheerleaders and coaches allowed to put of the away team at free throws.
One guy takes a bicycle hooter and just as the player is about to shoot he honks it, when he misses The Laughing Policeman is played over the sound system.
Last week the crowd had to stand up at the start of the 3rd quarter and sing along to Can You Feel it until the first basket goes in.
Quality night out.

And you wonder why it is a minority sport in Sussex ? :facepalm:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
There is far more to basketball than 6'7" players scoring. It is a game which has many ebb and flows and is exciting to watch when you have an understanding of some of the finer points.

One of the best games that I saw of the Bears under Nick Nurse was away at London Leopards, when the Bears won with the last shot of the game. What made this more special was the fact that the only time that the Bears lead all night was after the buzzer as the shot went up before the buzzer.

I think the demise of the Brighton Bears was down to money, having assembled a quality squad, Nick took the team into Europe and was expecting larger crowds at the Brighton Centre on European nights. However the games didn't attract many more than the normal domestic league games.

I was taken to a number of Bears games by my parents when I was younger and loved them. Now I've got a tiny version of myself as well I'd love to one day do the same but it just doesn't look like it'll be likely. A great shame.

Also, Randy Duck was a fantastic name.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone remember Randy Duck?

Vividly :ohmy:

enhanced-buzz-14913-1408707298-14.jpg

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Wow. what a thread. If I remember correctly at somepoint The Bears were sponsored by Nissan who were based in Worthing and even wore a pink kit! However, when I used to go an watch The Bears they were in blue!

In the late '80's I used to go with a bunch of classmates and it was generally a good laugh. I remember Herman Harried and Mark Hubbard who went on to play for England...And the England national team even played a game at Worthing.

In addition 3 of my female classmates were the cheerleaders for The Bears and our RE teacher was also a on the team...Although he always seemed to be on the bench! But it was a good time as Worthing Bears were one of the best teams in Europe.

This only lasted a couple of years as in the end we realised that, quite frankly, basketball is pretty naff.

I do believe that Sky had a go at trying to make basketball big by throwing their weight behind a new league and pumping loads of money in...But they wanted the teams to play in larger arenas which also had better capability to set-up TV cameras for live broadcast. This clearly ruled out the Worthing Leisure Centre so The Bears went to Brighton. It does appear though that the team has died on it's arse since the move but Worthing has re-emerged with a new team in The Thunder so credit it to them for that.

But for me, I do not really care, it was just a cool social time from when I was at school...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here