Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does Steine actually mean?

Bluejuice said:
New Steine is SHIT, it's all about the old skool OLD steine

And the reason these youngsters are calling it the STINE is all down to old Frank-in-Steine's confusing everyone
Frank confuses a lot of people, but he does a good sandwich.

The place was more convenient before it became a caff, though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
Frank confuses a lot of people, but he does a good sandwich.

The place was more convenient before it became a caff, though.

You mean when it was for drug dealers?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think he is talking about it being a public conveniences prior to the deli it purports to be today.

Anyway hasn't it changed its name since the owner got banged up?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Convienient for food, shiting and gurns. It like something out of an Ellroy novel, the place just needs to get shot up now.

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
I work in the Old Steine & whilst we have our address as Old Steine, the solicitors next door have their address as Old Steyne with a different post code... No idea why though!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Birdy said:
I work in the Old Steine & whilst we have our address as Old Steine, the solicitors next door have their address as Old Steyne with a different post code... No idea why though!

I work on the Old Steyne next door to some solicitors. How very queer.

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
:wave:

Wonder why the 2 different spellings are used? I'm guessing two different types of old 'english' & that it depends on the firm at the address to choose which version to use.

That's probably what confuses the posties & explains why our mail goes missing so often!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Birdy said:

I was going to ask about this, the solicitors who are the management agents for my luxury Mid Sussex mansion have their address as Old Steyne, Brighton.

Always thought they were just being pretentious.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I went to school in Steyning, might that place have derived its name from some sort of Steyne/Steine?

Gully said:
I went to school in Steyning, might that place have derived its name from some sort of Steyne/Steine?
Maybe "steyning" is some sort of illegal activity undertaken by people on the margins of society - possibly connected with street drinking, which seems to be very popular in the area?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
jonny.rainbow said:

Also who gave Southern trains the right to change MossCOOM to MOLESCUM.

That makes me mad whenever I hear it. :angry:

Station announcements at Lewes always used to be made by a man who knew how to pronounce New'AVEn and SeaFORD. The machine people call these places NEWhaven and SEAf'd.

It's a disgrace.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
Station announcements at Lewes always used to be made by a man who knew how to pronounce New'AVEn and SeaFORD. The machine people call these places NEWhaven and SEAf'd.

It's a disgrace.
:eek: But, but, but... I've always called them NEWhaven and SEAf'd. Oooh dear me.

Still, it's not as bad as some local newsreaders who I've heard pronounce the dwelling of Southwick, Steyning and Lewes as Suthick, Stay-ning and Loos.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
rick_chalky_300x193.jpg

RIP Chalky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here