Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest 'difficult' third album of all time ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I do take your point, but as for the 'Greatest 3rd album of all time' really ???
I think it's perfectly valid. Just browsing some other nominations we've got Muse, Feeder and Orbital all mentioned. I'm a fan of 2 of those but let's be honest, those are personal favourites of the posters rather than candidates for the greatest ever 3td album.

If you measure greatness on things like sounding fresh and new (arguable for sure but it was very popular), the way it changed their career, the subsequent success it created and the influence that the singer has had on music generally then I reckon she's got a much more credible claim to greatness than a lot of the band's mentioned in this thread.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What a bizarre thread. Who has ever heard of the difficult third album issue? Surely its the second album that's the most difficult. If your first album goes platinum it's the second album that might struggle to compare and stall the career. If the first album bombs the second one has to be a monumental improvement or the career goes down the drain before its even got off the ground.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What a bizarre thread. Who has ever heard of the difficult third album issue? Surely its the second album that's the most difficult. If your first album goes platinum it's the second album that might struggle to compare and stall the career. If the first album bombs the second one has to be a monumental improvement or the career goes down the drain before its even got off the ground.
Nah. I reckon the third is the tricky one. Usually, the band have enough songs that didn't make it into the first album that it makes the second album relatively easy. Also it makes the second album similar in style to the first. If the first is a hit then the record company definitely want that second album to exploit that.

By the time the 3rd album comes along the band then have a big decision to make. Sell out and carry on churning out the same old same old or try to develop and try new things. This is often the first opportunity a band has in doing what they want rather than be dictated to by the record company.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Led Zepelin III

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Nah. I reckon the third is the tricky one. Usually, the band have enough songs that didn't make it into the first album that it makes the second album relatively easy. Also it makes the second album similar in style to the first. If the first is a hit then the record company definitely want that second album to exploit that.

By the time the 3rd album comes along the band then have a big decision to make. Sell out and carry on churning out the same old same old or try to develop and try new things. This is often the first opportunity a band has in doing what they want rather than be dictated to by the record company.

Pretty good argument particularly in respect of choosing to follow the record company and the money or perhaps going for musical development and maintaining musical integrity.

My vote would have to be Iron Maiden's third album The Number of The Beast. Whilst punk was still in vogue and old school rock like Purple and Sabbath was desperately uncool Maiden broke through in 1980 heralding the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. What made them stand out on the first two albums was the intricate arrangements and time changes plus the more punky vocal delivery of Paul DiAnno which was so different to the old style Dio or Gillan. However, whilst the first two albums broke them the third was always going to be tricky on two accounts. Firstly their needed to be new material as even the Killers album included tracks from their pretty early live set lists. Secondly, DiAnno left and they needed a new singer to continue that early momentum. Fortunately, they made an excellent choice in Bruce Dickinson who undoubtedly took them to the next level. Sure, he was old school operatic style but his sheer range, on stage presence and later song writing ability were crucial. 2018, 90 million sales worldwide and still capable of selling out stadiums is quite an achievement

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

The latter option is precisely what Led Zeppelin did.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Forever Changes
All mod cons
Led Zeppelin iii

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here