Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What do members of the fan advisory boad think of the new shirt?

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It's all a matter of taste though. Personally I like it but then again I'm in a minority of people I know who love chilli Marmite.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm sure we'll hear the club's line in the upcoming Fans' Forum. You're right, nothing is going to change this season's kit (and, again, the FAB obviously weren't in a position to).

Hearing from a former FAB member that representatives were unanimously positive about the new shirt was a shock, given the sentiment on every Albion fans' forum over the past 36hrs or so.

I'm simply seeking assurance that the FAB is going to be honest in future, and that the club is going to be open to honesty from the reps.

That's it.

How do you know it wasn’t honest, maybe they liked the shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well it's definitely not going to be effective without open communication.

I don't think there's any real mechanism in place for the FAB members to represent the views of anybody other than themselves sadly. Which is hardly unique, it's pretty much the same case with any elected representative to anything really

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of people who don't like the shirt pile in on different threads to say they don't like the shirt - shock horror probe.

I like the shirt. The more I think about it the more I like it.

Regards, H.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Lots of people who don't like the shirt pile in on different threads to say they don't like the shirt - shock horror probe.

I like the shirt. The more I think about it the more I like it.

Regards, H.

:lolol:

And personally, I still don't like it, on second viewing. I would rather have the blue used on the seafront railings etc, this is more "Brighton" to me.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How do you know it wasn’t honest, maybe they liked the shirt?

64 out of 501 (12.7%) NSC users like the new shirt, according to the poll.

Of course, NSC isn't representative of all Albion fans. But there's a similar sentiment on Twitter, Facebook, Argus messageboards etc.

So the chance of ALL eight FAB members genuniely liking the shirt are... well, we'd need Tony Bloom to work out those astronomical odds.

Look, this thread is not about shirts. It's about the communication.

Do the FAB feel they're able to talk openly to the club? Is the club open to potentially negative feedback?

I'm not on my high horse about this. Barely even thought about FAB until yesterday (partly because no-one in my family was asked to vote, but that's another story).

Just think it will be a missed opportunity if the FAB is not a proper dialogue between the club and fans. That's it. :shrug:

(As no-one from the FAB appears to actually be on NSC, feel free to close the thread Mods).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Of course, NSC isn't representative of all Albion fans. But there's a similar sentiment on Twitter, Facebook, Argus messageboards etc.

So the chance of ALL eight FAB members genuniely liking the shirt are... well, we'd need Tony Bloom to work out those astronomical odds.

Do the FAB feel they're able to talk openly to the club? Is the club open to potentially negative feedback?

I'm not on my high horse about this. Barely even thought about FAB until yesterday (partly because no-one in my family was asked to vote, but that's another story).

Just think it will be a missed opportunity if the FAB is not a proper dialogue between the club and fans. That's it. :shrug:

(As no-one from the FAB appears to actually be on NSC, feel free to close the thread Mods).

What could happen realistically ? Shirt design process probably started around Christmas time last year - long before FAB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hard to reconcile this comment with the reality I see every single weekend during the football season. If I ever go to a game I see countless adults wearing replica shirts. When I watch MoTD and the camera pans across the crowd before kick off and during goal celebrations, again, I see countless adults wearing replica shirts at every match. If I go in the club shop or visit the website, replica kit is offered in multiple adult sizes. So to claim adults aren’t part of the the target market, or ‘it only matters if kids like it’ etc plainly isn’t the case and is a really odd position to take.

If you're a grown up wearing a replica shirt.
You're going to buy the latest replica shirt.

You've already clearly stated to everybody with functioning eyes...

...taste and decency doesn't come into it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Maybe there needs to be pre-notice of any agenda items to be raised by the club at FAB meetings, plus a sandpit area for FAB members and their electorate (all Albion+ members?) to kick around those club-initated agenda items plus any further agenda items the FAB may wish to add to the agenda and kick around at that sandpit. Seems to me about the only way it would work in an open accountable manner

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What could happen realistically ? Shirt design process probably started around Christmas time last year - long before FAB.

Come on! I've said at least twice in this thead that their reaction to the shirt wouldn't have made any difference (this time).

And you've just quoted me saying that this thread is not about the shirt.

It's not about the shirt!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Come on! I've said at least twice in this thead that their reaction to the shirt wouldn't have made any difference (this time).

And you've just quoted me saying that this thread is not about the shirt.

It's not about the shirt!

Would be just about the second-easiest thing in the world for the club to present the captured fanbase with a choice of 3 kits and ask them to vote on which they prefer.

A bit like Crawley Town without all that dumb WAGMI NFT bolleaux

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m a cynical ******* , and the timing of FAB and the Tracy Crouch review makes me think it’s the club getting in there first and look to be doing the right thing. End of the day the man that’s invested £500M+ into the club calls the shots, his carefully selected board and executive management team are in place to carry out the running of the club. I’m sure there’s value in this for things like the fan park thing, potential ideas to increase engagement but anything ‘serious’ is probably lip service at best

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would be just about the second-easiest thing in the world for the club to present the captured fanbase with a choice of 3 kits and ask them to vote on which they prefer.

Kits will always be divisive, I guess, but a bit of fan consultation - and honest feedback - would at least weed out the (almost) universally disliked designs....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There is the issue of how the H will look at full stretch across the average xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl fan's stomach.

Not well, I suspect.

It will look better than Derby County’s shirt looked on fat blokes when they were sponsored by Just Eat.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Noted, but can’t really say they didn’t, but agree online polls show the majority are not keen.

I wouldn’t think any less of the FAB as it’s a bit like being in someone’s house for the first time as a guest and asked what do you think of the kitchen / painting, you are not really going to be rude are you.

Maybe they also also thought it’s not like it’s going to change if we say anything or equally who are we to judge what Nike have offered us after i suspect months of design work

I’ll judge them on things that matter and their influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Personally I don't think these sorts of questions will really effect the FAB much, I am sure they expected to see stuff like this. Now what I think WILL effect the FAB is their members constantly breaking the rules and being given the boot :lolol:

They've only had 1 meeting and we've lost 25% of the group, I wonder when they'll announce their replacements?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

It's interesting if none of them are on here. Surely this is where a large number of fans communicate with each other?

If they are on here and are choosing not to respond, I wonder why not? Have they been told not to engage with NSC?! Lol. It would be nice to hear from one of them.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It's interesting if none of them are on here. Surely this is where a large number of fans communicate with each other?

If they are on here and are choosing not to respond, I wonder why not? Have they been told not to engage with NSC?! Lol. It would be nice to hear from one of them.

I was once elected onto the committee of a community-wide organisation (not round here) made up largely of volunteers - around 1000 volunteers, committee of 8 reporting into a handful of directors. I'd put myself up for election thinking I could actually improve things for the volunteers but within a month had removed myself from all social media and dreaded checking email. The absolutely astronomical levels of entitled communication from people thinking I had an obligation to reply within minutes of being contacted, who'd comment on whether or not I'd 'liked' a Facebook post and read all sorts of agendas into it, who asked me to resolve their petty squabbles with each other or senior people in the organisation, and who asked me to represent incredibly niche perspectives and had absolutely no idea of how organisations run, how to have influence, and how to avoid undermining everything before it'd begun.

It only took 2 weeks before someone suggested that me (also a volunteer, totally unpaid) was somehow now part of a conspiracy simply because I tactfully said I didn't think some utterly batsh*t idea was a good use of the time of the committee but if they could come back with evidence of how to make it work and the benefits of doing so then I'd happily take it forward. When I asked them what they meant they said I couldn't handle it when someone "spoke truth to power" and they then slagged me off relentlessly to the closed Facebook group. It would have been laughable if it wasn't so stressful. I did my year, hated every minute of it, got nothing out of it, and never stood for election again. The actual committee side of it was good, the "doing stuff" that made a difference was good too, but none of it made up for the amount of grief and aggravation just half a dozen people with a chip on their shoulder can cause.

Basically, I'm not surprised if FAB members don't want to respond or engage on here just now. I'd like them to, but ideally in a structured, semi-formal approach that respects the fact they are volunteers, will have lives and probably jobs and other stuff going on too, rather than a free-for-all. I think we'd get more out of it, and it also honours them and their commitment. For FAB to work not only do we have to support it, we have to have people who want to do it in future too and not be put off because it makes someone a target for grief.

That said, I still think the new home kit is an aberration and shouldn't have seen the light of day and I'd love FAB to represent the views of NSC (and Twitter, and Argus comments etc) to the next meeting :).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here