Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did you expect?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Colchester to roll over as we hit five past 'em?

We played well. No. I'm not on drugs.

Away from home. We stopped Colchester from producing anything significant. They scored a fluke. We hit the post, forced a save, should have a penalty.

It happens. It wasn't a great display but there won't be many great displays. We didn't find it easy two years ago. Why should we now.

Q.P.R. and Bristol City both didn't win at Colchester.

Fans giving our players stick during the game is so annoying.

It's a long season. We've made an okay start. We've taken 4 points away from home from 4 games. That's promotion form.

We've dropped 2 points at home to Swindon. Not because we were rubbish. As Coppell said, you can only play as well as your opponents let you. Swindon will do very well this season. Let's not forget beating Q.P.R. A very important victory.

Positives from today: We stopped the home team from controlling the game. We deserved a point. Piercy has showen he's a good player.

Two wins on the bounce coming up.

Seagulls

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
To be honest although i wasn't there i got the impression from the commentary that we at least deserved a draw so i'm quite surprised that everyone's (bar Turkey) slagging them off so much!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Our performance was worthy of a point. Minus a freak goal and a penalty which was so clear it was untrue - Harding has shirt basically ripped off - we we would have won.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Sorry, but I disagree that we played well.
Your comments about stopping them from playing are valid but I thought they were also appalling.
Still, I think this is probably just a blip and overall I think we're having a good season.
Thoroughly agree with your comments about fans giving players stick. Hate to see this. Someone near me abused Coppell and Roberts in the second half which I find unbelievable.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Turkey said:
Colchester to roll over as we hit five past 'em?

We played well. No. I'm not on drugs.

Away from home. We stopped Colchester from producing anything significant. Seagulls

And therein lies the problem. We stopped Colchester but we didn't produce anything creative in the 1st half unless you count. Sideways pass sideways pass hoof. The fact is the midfield needed a Jones / Piercy figure to run at defenders go past and create something. We never looked like scoring and neither did they until 'Ronaldhino' popped up.

You can look at it 2 ways. Won 3 games and in and around the play off spots without playing that well. Thinga can only get better.

or

Beaten an understrength QPR team and relegation bound Oldham and Luton. Lost to beat 10 men Barnsley & a bottom half of the table Colchester team.

As always the truth lies somewhere inbetween but you try and be 'The boys were unlucky' after you've been in the car for a total of 7 and a half hours including the mother of all jams and not had a goal to cheer or 3 passes in a row to clap.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Coppells Birth Certificate said:
Someone near me abused Coppell and Roberts in the second half which I find unbelievable.

Hear, hear? What's wrong with these people? They really p*** me off!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I started to write something here but then had the urge for a wee, when i came back i forgot what i wanted to say... Sorry if i wasted anybodys time here... Come on move on, nothing to see here!

:dunce:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Re: Re: What did you expect?

Hannibal smith said:
And therein lies the problem. We stopped Colchester but we didn't produce anything creative in the 1st half unless you count. Sideways pass sideways pass hoof. The fact is the midfield needed a Jones / Piercy figure to run at defenders go past and create something. We never looked like scoring and neither did they until 'Ronaldhino' popped up.

As always the truth lies somewhere inbetween but you try and be 'The boys were unlucky' after you've been in the car for a total of 7 and a half hours including the mother of all jams and not had a goal to cheer or 3 passes in a row to clap.

We did lack creativity but is that because we had none or Colchester made it hard for us. Just because we didn't have much success going forward doesn't make the performance rubbish.

I went. At first I just felt so disapointed you say rubbish. It wasn't rubbish. It wasn't much fun to watch though.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Re: Re: What did you expect?

Hannibal smith said:

Where were you travelling from? We were stuck in a jam for some of the way, but it wasn't too bad. If you were the one driving though, I guess it wasn't much fun! Just as well they delayed the kick-off, although you wouldn't have missed much! However, stress will always colour our view of things. Fortunately I wasn't stressed today so it didn't seem so bad! I'm with Turkey on this!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Turkey - I applaud your loyalty, we could do with more like you, but to describe today's performance as anything better than poor is just blind loyalty.

Why do we just hoof it as far and as high as we can (usually to Knight)? a sign of low confidence or lack of ability? - you choose

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I feel that the main problem we have at the moment is the lack of a constant midfield. It's changing around so much at the moment I just think that it's stopping anything much coming from there. Let's hope Jones will be back on Tuesday and get us going again!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The fact is Harding (who at times was playing left back), Rodger and Oatway aren't creative - Better teams than Colchester will make it harder than that. If we are to be a top six team we need a player who can go past people (Brooker) or score from midfield (Sidwell). These 2 haven't been replaced and as I said in another thread we missed Jones today - I expect to see him at Chesterfield.

In terms of defining the performance, it was a poor attacking display and a solid one defensively. In terms of entertainment value it was awful. What made it so dissapointing is that I thought we never looked like scoring, oh and the journey from hell.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Having let in so many goals I think SC's main concern was tightening up the defence.

Which we did. Just one freak goal.

Still can't see where the creative push is going to come from though.

Play Piercy. Or sign Junior Lewis.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Hannibal smith said:
What made it so dissapointing is that I thought we never looked like scoring,

I thought Hart had one tipped round the post and hit the woodwork?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Re: Re: Re: What did you expect?

Fran Hagarty said:
Where were you travelling from? We were stuck in a jam for some of the way, but it wasn't too bad. If you were the one driving though, I guess it wasn't much fun!

Warwickshire. I had the bright idea to go along the A120 which just stopped and no-one went anywhere for no discernable reason.

And yes. I was driving on my own all the way there and all the way back and to cap my day off my girlfriend is due in a a minute and she will be pissed. That'll calm me down wont it. (she holds the world record for number of words spoken in 30 seconds after two large glasses of wine)

Marvellous.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
timbha said:
Turkey - I applaud your loyalty, we could do with more like you, but to describe today's performance as anything better than poor is just blind loyalty.

Why do we just hoof it as far and as high as we can (usually to Knight)? a sign of low confidence or lack of ability? - you choose

It was not an enjoyable performance. It wasn't a good performance. However it was not awful as some people have said.

Bristol City lost at Colchester. Q.P.R. drew. Colchester are no push overs.

We've got two new strikers and a midfield which is constantly changing. We'll improve and our results okay are not bad.

Piercy today looked like the answer to our creative problems.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wish you lot would stop calling this a freak goal - it fecking wasn't.

Roberts was out of position on the six yard line when he should have stood between there and the back line in case a "freak" cross happens.

As bad as Seaman's recent gaff of a corner.

Get FDM back now !

Lush

Mods' Pet
Re: Re: Re: Re: What did you expect?

Hannibal smith said:
my girlfriend is due in a a minute and she will be pissed. That'll calm me down wont it. (she holds the world record for number of words spoken in 30 seconds after two large glasses of wine)

Marvellous.

Lol. Does she want to join the DAFT Bints? She sounds like our kind of girl!!!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Beach Hut said:
I wish you lot would stop calling this a freak goal - it fecking wasn't.

Get FDM back now !

Wayne Andrews admitted it was on Radio Essex after the match!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here