[Albion] What did you enjoy more, getting to Europe or playing in Europe?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Being there wins hands down.

You work bloody hard to earn the right to be there. But once there, you have to prove that you deserve to be. And we did - home and away.

We might finish 10th, 9th, or 7th again and maybe not qualify but we can never lose the fact we did play there

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You work bloody hard to earn the right to be there. But once there, you have to prove that you deserve to be. And we did - home and away.

We might finish 10th, 9th, or 7th again and maybe not qualify but we can never lose the fact we did play there
History will record we did the double over Ajax. We topped our group.
Nobody can take that away from us.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Definitely playing in Europe. It was an amazing experience and Roma way aside we did ourselves proud. Unforgettable.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Marseille and Ajax away were my best ever Brighton & Hove Albion experiences. No question.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For 50+ years I've dreamt of playing in Europe. Yes, we've had the odd 'one off' games or spells to remember. 1979 at Newcastle (OK I don't remember much about that weekend). But 2023/24 will go down as the greatest season ever for me as a supporter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Marseille away will always remain one of the highlights of my Albion supporting life.
Didn't make it.

Pedro's goal at home is up there in my top Albion moments of all time. Mayhem in the north

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
LOved last season and the giddyingly high position in the league. I loved the European nights at the Amex but the one Euro away game I went to (Marseille) was on par with the Palace 5-0 as the worst experience I've had watching the Albion (and I've been to Oldham). If we get to Europe again, I'll love the getting there but I'm going to watch our away games on the telly

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I couldn't travel to any of the away games in Europe and was only able to get to the Marseille home game. However, seeing Albion playing against these European giants and in these amazing arenas on TV was so far from what had been my wildest dreams for most of the 55 years I have been a fan. I had to wipe away a man tear more than a few times when I saw the teams running out and the Albion banners waving across Europe. So, being there, albeit at a distance for me, was incredibly special.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The qualifying season was incredible but I will never forget Ajax at home and away, Athens and Roma away. My only regret is not going to Marseille away.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What about playing those at home?! Hardly an everyday either!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Playing in Europe. Without a doubt.

Had we been smashed off the park in every game, then that would have taken the edge off of it.
The season before was great, but actually being in European competition was different gravy.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Last season was incredibly exciting and the best over years of supporting the Albion. The football was a joy to behold. The Europa League was something very special with lots of great memories. Had we invested in more cover, then this season could have topped it. However, the domestic season has been a dissapointment since Jan and it fizzled out quicker than it got started. We go again next season.

Last edited:

Nicks

Watching the Albion play away in Europe was a dream come true for this OAP and to share it with one of my lads was even better.
Never thought I would see that in my lifetime of following this club of mine. ( Apart from the friendly in Le Havre back in 2007)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I loved it. 'Only' did Ajax and Roma away, but they were absolutely fantastic experiences shared with my younger son, that I feel privileged to have had.

The home games were great, too - once we got over the stage fright.

Mostly, I'm glad we gave it a real GO. So many clubs seem to fight all season to reach the (minor) European competitions, and then treat them like an inconvenience once they actually play them. West Ham, until these last two seasons, seemed particularly guilty of this.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The end of last season and the start of this was as good as it gets for a Calendar year of football following Brighton rather than a seasons worth.

I think my lifetime of supporting Albion peaked in Athens. A great win at Forest the weekend before, a win in a fantastic city, teargassing and then a Fat boy slim gig.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a body of work, last season feels considerably more enjoyable, but I concede there may be an element of recency bias as, like many, I've felt disappointed in the way this league campaign petered out.

But the whole European experience, both home and away, was simply astounding and something I never thought I would experience as a Brighton fan.

I'm not sure that answers your question, but it's all I have.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
A lifetime dream for me. Marseilles and Athens were the highlight. Cities I have never visited before, beautiful weather, and some great results. Spoiler was thinking of all my friends along the way, who are no longer with us, and would have relished the experience.

I still think all our stars aligned last year and other than perhaps a League Cup win I honestly think it won't happen again. West Ham, Newcastle and Villa will be stepping up to challenge the big six and we will be well short. But who knows UEFA's cash cow could expand the Euro Conference and we could see top ten guaranteeing a European slot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports