Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What can be done to make midweek games at The Amex less of a pain in the arse?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
30min (or more) standing in the elements with an 8-year-old is not ideal (before a 80min drive home). Especially so when empty buses are waiting but can't be loaded until the front one has exited. Would be much better if they were lined up side-by-side and loaded instantly.

Seen quite a lot of queue-jumping recently too.
Odd I've never stood for 30 mins or more for the Park & Ride with my children, no matter how many times it's felt like it.
Perhaps that's the advantage of being in the ESL.

Yeah people do seem to be 'parachuting' themselves into the queues from all manner of random directions.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Odd I've never stood for 30 mins or more for the Park & Ride with my children, no matter how many times it's felt like it.
Perhaps that's the advantage of being in the ESL.

Yeah people do seem to be 'parachuting' themselves into the queues from all manner of random directions.

It's only been that long twice - once last season when we came from WSU, then once last month (from ESL) where we got to watch the coach park empty before we even got on a bus.

The other times? We left early.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
30min (or more) standing in the elements with an 8-year-old is not ideal (before a 80min drive home). Especially so when empty buses are waiting but can't be loaded until the front one has exited. Would be much better if they were lined up side-by-side and loaded instantly.

Seen quite a lot of queue-jumping recently too.

Has he got a coat?

My son started going when he was 5, we sat in the south stand at Withdean and as we all know it rained nearly every sodding game, he survived.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Has he got a coat?

My son started going when he was 5, we sat in the south stand at Withdean and as we all know it rained nearly every sodding game, he survived.

It's. The. Waiting.

Queuing to START a journey - in fact, merely the first leg of a journey - isn't fun for anyone.

As above, it would be marginally less annoying if the waiting was ON one of the empty buses, rather than standing waiting for the front bus to get out of the car park before you can board.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's only been that long twice - once last season when we came from WSU, then once last month (from ESL) where we got to watch the coach park empty before we even got on a bus.

The other times? We left early.

Begging the question:-

'why should the club spend millions on building an extra coach park to get the transfer time of less than 30 minutes to, even less than 30 minutes, for over 30,000 people?'

Sure there's 101 tinkering things the club could do to improve on what it already has.
We had that thread recently with plenty of 'free' suggestions, from those of us that use the services.
Although I'll not be holding my breath for any of it to be taken on board, mainly because what we have is pretty good, and anyone wanting/expecting more must struggle to look beyond the end of their nose.

This one:-
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358118-Transport-to-from-The-Amex&highlight=transport

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
For those West of Brighton it would be fantastic if it was possible to have a train that doesn’t require a change in Brighton itself, particularly on the way home.

And, technically at least, it is possible. On a couple of occasions, purely by chance, I’ve been on a Worthing -> Brighton train that when, it arrived in Brighton, it became a Lewes service so no changing required to get to Falmer.

It would need some management, such as not actually stopping in a brighton (or not opening the doors) to ty and ensure that it was only used by those going West of Brighton itself.
Ah! If only. Clearly you also enjoy the 8 or 12 coach train from Falmer throwing you out at Brighton and then the hour wait to get on a 3 coach going westbound

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Begging the question:-

'why should the club spend millions on building an extra coach park to get the transfer time of less than 30 minutes to, even less than 30 minutes, for over 30,000 people?'

Ha. It's a fair cop.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's. The. Waiting.

Queuing to START a journey - in fact, merely the first leg of a journey - isn't fun for anyone.

As above, it would be marginally less annoying if the waiting was ON one of the empty buses, rather than standing waiting for the front bus to get out of the car park before you can board.

When at Withdean having been sitting in the open often cold and wet, post game those of us using P & R would have to wait easily 30 mins at the bottom of the hill for the bus. That was when we had 6000 odd fans. All part of the journey so to speak.

I know nothing is perfect but there's very few clubs that have gone this far to help their supporters. Unfortunately when something like this happens people become even further expectant and reliant. If you feel deeply about it, don't complain on here, don't complain to the club but how about a constructive letter to whom it may concern at the club. They may take you up on your suggestion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone mentioned buying a house in Falmer?

storer

Nov 28, 2010
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah. Stop your bloody moaning and just get your arse down there and support the team!!
Want the club to wipe your arse aswell?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's. The. Waiting.

After the Watford match they tried loading two buses at the same time - instead of an orderly queue boarding the bus there was absolute chaos as the queue broke near the second bus and the result was that many near the front of the original bus couldn’t get on the first bus when it became full and the second bus was also full by that time - the stewards then had to try and get people off the road so that the two full buses could leave and the empty ones waiting could pull forward.

People simply aren’t disciplined enough to make multi-loading work.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps I have missed it but why when there are 3 bendy buses lined up to go to Mill Road can they not allow people to board the buses at the same time and when nearly full a steward call 2 or 3 or whatever people forward to fill the bus then let it go. Why do they have to fill 1 bus at a time.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I find Seagull Travel works well for evening matches (as it does for weekend matches if you are in a rush).

I personally think getting away from the Amex is as good as can be expected.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think that the road experiences at the exodus from Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge this season show how good we have it.

And the pitiful trains from Old Trafford . Two short trains 40 minutes apart only, to go to the main station.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Perhaps I have missed it but why when there are 3 bendy buses lined up to go to Mill Road can they not allow people to board the buses at the same time and when nearly full a steward call 2 or 3 or whatever people forward to fill the bus then let it go. Why do they have to fill 1 bus at a time.

As I posted earlier people are simply not disciplined enough to make it work as was shown after the Watford game when they tried loading two buses at the same time. It ended up in a mad scramble. People in the queue past the door of the second bus tried to turn around to get on that bus as it was closer than the second one, others pushed past to get on the first bus and people ended up all over the road. The result was that many didn’t get on either bus despite being nearer the front of the queue than those who got on the second bus and it took ages before either bus got away and empty ones pulled in because the road had to be cleared of those who had rushed forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here