Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Part of my work teams "book club". I will have to suffer the final third as no doubt we'll be discussing it.

You migh find it alright. I just got the sense that all of the really interesting stuff was in the front of the book, and they seemed a bit obsessed with the education system but without finding out much of interest too me.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Recently started reading King Leopolds Ghost by Adam Hochschild.

It's very interesting but halfway through loses it's momentum and becomes a bit of a turgid history book.

Working my way through Iain M Banks. Have read a whole bunch, currently reading Look to Windward, he really is a brilliant SF writer.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I spent the last year re-reading everything Banks wrote, JCL, after his untimely death*. Left Look to Windward 'til last, as it was a favourite. A huge loss, him - the Culture novels are without equal in my opinion.

I've just started David MItchell's new one - he of Cloud Atlas fame - The Bone Clocks. Very good already.

*Edited - piss-poor sentence structure. I did not, of course, mean that I'd been reading everything Banks wrote posthumously. Not even he was that good...

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
One three one by julian cope.A kind of road trip novel but with a few weird twists involving time travel and football violence amongst other things.Also foundation the first book in a series about the history of England by Peter Akroyd

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just bought this. Has had some tremendous reviews and has just been released in paperback format. Just under a thousand pages. WH Smith's in London road are selling it for a ludicrously reasonable £5.49!

isbn9780297860709-detail.jpg

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
8y8uty2a.jpg

Not as highbrow as you lot, but released just in time for my holiday.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Stephen Donaldson's The Power That Preserves (3rd Book in the Thomas Covenant series) for the second time. And what an amazing series.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just finished American Gods-Neil Gaiman. Brilliant.

Also finished whilst on holiday:
Bring up the Bodies-Hilary Mantel
A Sense of an Ending-Julian Barnes

Both Booker prize winners and both also brilliant

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Just bought this. Has had some tremendous reviews and has just been released in paperback format. Just under a thousand pages. WH Smith's in London road are selling it for a ludicrously reasonable £5.49!

isbn9780297860709-detail.jpg

I read that earlier this year - its v v good!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I'm also reading "Alan Turing - the Enigma" by Andrew Hodges - its v v deep and very hard work - but full of good stuff!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. My first foray into the caste system of India in the last century. A beautifully written and captivating read.
On advice have since purchased God of Small Things to read next.

In the meantime having a crack at the Narrow Road to the Deep North which is chugging along quite nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here