Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blue River, Black Sea - Andrew Eames

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How Long Can You Go? - Tom Chesshyre

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A River and a Valley Far Away - Wayne McCallum

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Island That Dared - Dervla Murphy

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
81rtC3XKVpL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This excellent book is not as much about baseball as about 1980s small town America and the people who, year in and year out, inhabit the little band box stadiums that host the minor leagues. The author decided to live out a fantasy by dumping his day job, outfitting a second hand camper van, and setting out on a great circular journey around backwaters of American baseball & the "unknown" affiliate teams...some of which disappeared from the map years ago. Great read for any sports fans.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stories I Stole - Wendell Steavenson

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
View attachment 169885

This excellent book is not as much about baseball as about 1980s small town America and the people who, year in and year out, inhabit the little band box stadiums that host the minor leagues. The author decided to live out a fantasy by dumping his day job, outfitting a second hand camper van, and setting out on a great circular journey around backwaters of American baseball & the "unknown" affiliate teams...some of which disappeared from the map years ago. Great read for any sports fans.
When I used to visit my company HQ in New Hampshire, I made a point of finding Minor League Baseball to visit. Loved it, both culturally and sportwise.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Are audiobooks included? I always drift off to sleep listening to something. Am currently on Book 7 of Anthony Powell's 12-volume A Dance to the Music of Time. I read them first as a student, 45 years ago. This week I’ve bought and downloaded the latest Alan Partridge and Wind in the Willows (which to my shame I’ve never read).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gomorrah - Roberto Saviano

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Down To the Sea in Ships - Horatio Clare

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ticket To Ride - Tom Chesshyre

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Just finished Peter James' Dead Man's Footsteps - No. 4 in the Roy Grace detective series set in Brighton (the TV series features the brilliant John Simm as Grace).

Have now started Matthew Kneale's Sweet Thames - his English Passengers being one of my favourite books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here